New 80GB PS3 SKU coming June (MGS4/DS3 bundle)

Oh and BC with the new 80gb? Apparently so:

Question:
Does the new 80gb PS3 bundle include a PS3 with backwards compatibility for PS2 games?

Answer :
Yes, similar to the Motorstorm bundle, the new MGS4 bundle features an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.

(on the same playstation blog page)

The 40 gig is not 299 right now. Why would some one who knows this news not wait and get a lot more value for the dollar. You are going to end up spending over 500 on the 40 gig to get MGS4 and DS3. Might as well get an extra 40 gigs and BC for less. Those 40 gigs are pretty meaningfull now with all these new game with 5 gig installs.

I don't understand this post if only from the angle that it seems very similar to the one I initially responded to in the first place. And the theme of that post was that a $300 PS3 would make the 80Gb bundle look way to expensive.

Yes, there is no $299 PS3 right now. Yes, the 80GB offers more value. So what? Then some people may get the 80GB vs the 40GB, but that's a better situation for Sony anyway. And folk that are relatively price constrained get a 40GB console that has a 40GB lesser hard drive and no B/C. Now, as you yourself were an example of, B/C doesn't matter to everyone to begin with. And the 40GB hard drive can be turned into something 160GB or greater for that 'saved' $100.

Sweet! I'm gonna sell off my 60GB unit and get one of these. I don't need the BC but rather have the dual shock and MGS4. Good job Sony.

Robert unless you think this might turn out to be a monetarily neutral transaction for you, then why not just get the game and controller separately? Because I don't see any inherent improvement otherwise with going from the 60GB to the 80GB unit. :)

Pretty nice bundle. Sony is rolling up so much momentum it's time microsoft reacts with a price cut.

Bundling a triple A title with a sku is a rarity. I'm surprised. It'd be like MS bundling Gears 2 with the Elite or something.

I do see this cannibalizing the 40GB sales though. Seems far more attractive overall. This is an indication Sony wants the 499 sku to see the majority of sales.

And why the extra $5 for the DS3 (54.99). Man, at this rate controllers will cost what a whole $99 console used to :LOL:

Pretty nice bundle. Sony is rolling up so much momentum it's time microsoft reacts with a price cut.

Bundling a triple A title with a sku is a rarity. I'm surprised. It'd be like MS bundling Gears 2 with the Elite or something.

I do see this cannibalizing the 40GB sales though. Seems far more attractive overall. This is an indication Sony wants the 499 sku to see the majority of sales.

And why the extra $5 for the DS3 (54.99). Man, at this rate controllers will cost what a whole $99 console used to :LOL:

Well in Europe we ve seen Forza, Gears and Halo3 bandled with Premiums. And I think there were Elites too bundled with Halo3. These were also official bundles not ones done by retailers ;)

It was about time Sony did something similar although I find the Resistance+Motorstorm+2 controllers+PS3 60GB which I bought a huge deal too. Personally I view these two titles as AAA games :)

Robert unless you think this might turn out to be a monetarily neutral transaction for you, then why not just get the game and controller separately? Because I don't see any inherent improvement otherwise with going from the 60GB to the 80GB unit. :)

I have a fair bit of blue tooth/controller losing sync issues with my launch unit. Since it looks like I'll be getting a fair bit of games this year for the PS3 (yay!) I don't want to be frustrated by that. I've heard conflicting stories on what does and doesn't fix it but I rather not deal with it all. Also, I've used by PS3 for BR a ton since launch so a fresh, aligned laser is most welcomed :)

In my opinion with competitors like wii US$249 and x360 US$349(im not counting arcade/core console without HDD and premium can low at 299 soom...GTA4 effect...) a ps3 US$499 is too expensive for gamers.

Sony - and Konami - needs more ps3 40GBs at US$299(if reduce from US$399) to improve install base tham ps3 80GB bundles ,BC,DS3 etc

(its more atractive a ps3 40GB US$299/349 with DS3 tham this bundle at 499)

I have a fair bit of blue tooth/controller losing sync issues with my launch unit. Since it looks like I'll be getting a fair bit of games this year for the PS3 (yay!) I don't want to be frustrated by that. I've heard conflicting stories on what does and doesn't fix it but I rather not deal with it all. Also, I've used by PS3 for BR a ton since launch so a fresh, aligned laser is most welcomed :)

Well, interesting reasons, but viable. :)

I'll be interested to see if the 80GB units come with a different model number or not, as a 'yes' to that would imply a shift in the internals from the original 80GB to a potentially lower-power affair.

Here are some possible downsides I have thought of in the meanwhile to this very attractive sku.

Are they packing in the DS3 to the 40GB? If not, that creates it's own non-standardization issues imo on it's own, but besides that I think it could lead gamers to shun the 40 unit, even morseo than the other value differentiators in the new sku. Which could be in essence a de facto price hike if the lower priced sku becomes untenable.

The fact the majority of PS3's sold in a few months will likely still be $500, could continue to keep PS3 outside the mainstream.

In my opinion with competitors like wii US$249 and x360 US$349(im not counting arcade/core console without HDD and premium can low at 299 soom...GTA4 effect...) a ps3 US$499 is too expensive for gamers.

Sony - and Konami - needs more ps3 40GBs at US$299(if reduce from US$399) to improve install base tham ps3 80GB bundles ,BC,DS3 etc

(its more atractive a ps3 40GB US$299/349 with DS3 tham this bundle at 499)
A lower-priced ANYTHING is "more attractive" than the same thing at a higher price. There is such a thing as not wanting to shovel money out the window, however.

Q2 is going to see some damn compelling titles out there, so they're going to want to cash in on that as much as possible. They already had a major price drop before year 1 was up, and even if they DO have further price drop plans, they're going to aim it for the holiday season again, rather than 6 months down the line.

They'll build some compelling bundles, capitalize on key titles, and see how far they can run.

It should be mentioned that the PSP bundle will be going for the same $200 price as the current Daxter and Star Wars Battlefront bundles. No mention of the MemoryStick, but I assume a 1GB Pro Duo is still included.

And RobertR1, the backward compatibility of the 80GB isn't that much different than the 60GB anyway, so I don't think you'll be missing much. Everything I've ever thrown at this comes up basically the same, or with just one strange, fairly ignorable error.

I don't care about Backwards compatibility.
But there is a significant difference.

The 60GB uses a PS2 EE+GS for native support of all PS2 and 1 games.
The previous 80GB model used software emulation and was very hit and miss.

I don't care about Backwards compatibility.
But there is a significant difference.

The 60GB uses a PS2 EE+GS for native support of all PS2 and 1 games.
The previous 80GB model used software emulation and was very hit and miss.

It's not fully software, it's 50% hardware and 50% software emulation which is a much better prospect than full software emulation. Also if you consider the software emulation on the Xbox with completely different hardware... They do a good job with it. They've done over 200 titles as of right now.

And RobertR1, the backward compatibility of the 80GB isn't that much different than the 60GB anyway, so I don't think you'll be missing much. Everything I've ever thrown at this comes up basically the same, or with just one strange, fairly ignorable error.

Don't put too much faith in the PS2 compatibility list. I have both a 60GB and 80GB PS3, and of the several PS2 games I've wanted to play recently, all had noticeable issues on the 80GB that rendered them rather unplayable, despite being listed as having "no major issues" on Sony's compatibility list. They all played perfectly on the 60GB.

10154800.jpg

and here are the cover arts for normal & colectors version
http://bbs.a9vg.com/ul_img/200802/27//1204099379182.jpg

Art for normal version is the most badass MGS cover so far!

Wow the premium pack PS3 comes with the special edition of MGS4 not just the normal version. That's a really good value. I like the cover art.

The bluetooth issue is a controler issue not a system issue.

I've had the Dual Shock 3 for a long time now and have been through several games with it. It has not dropped even once. Every other DS3 owner I know have said the same thing.

Back