Motorstorm 2

I saw Motorstorm 2 last night and played a little split-screen. Racers aren't generally my thing, and this one did my head in! The vehicles control like they're on ice - they don't turn! I stuck with the bike in the end as the only one I tried that actually went right when I turned right. And the open courses were also confusing for a first-time racer as you don't really know which way to go.

If you play the game just starting with the first track in the series, you'll ease into the handling a little more gently. Generally grip is excellent, but it matters a lot on what surface you drive obviously. It's all fairly predictable and easy to deal with once you've gotten used to things. But it can be a lot to take in initially for sure! Some obvious reasons for lacking grip apart from the obvious driving on wet grass and mud-water is ... wait for it .. not having any tires on the surface. ;) What with all the bumps and the physics, that does happen sometime - part of the trick in getting the most out of your boost in this game is knowing when you're actually not flying. :LOL:

So far I've only used a bit of braking with the R2 button (brake/reverse). I've never even touched the handbrake, if that is actually something separate, so thanks for the tip in that case guys.

On the plus-side, motion steering is in the game (which I didn't race with). I accidentally turned it on in the car selection screen on the third or forth race. There are three control layouts at the vehicle selection screen. Press Square to change layout. I think Layout 2 was motion steering.

You should have known from the mere fact that I ended up buying the game. I wouldn't have if motion controls had been in, as I've said repeatedly. :p

I took these :)

MSPR-Ripten11.jpg

MSPR-Ripten17.jpg

I just bought this. Slightly disappointed. I have played Motorstorm 1 demo before and frame rate seems worse. Frame rate means a lot to me especially in this kind of games, the silky smooth update in M1 was the thing that made the demo so enjoyable to me. Not 100% sure about this but for sure is seems slightly less fluid and makes me feel more like I'm playing a game than immersing myself.

Also I don't like the (early) tracks much as it seems to be too hard to see where you are going at and there's less "wow I'm going so fast wheeee" feel and too much "urgh where should I be going next, urgh now I need to try and aim at this tiny hole into this tunnel" going on.

Overall very nice game though.

My 2c.

I just bought this. Slightly disappointed. I have played Motorstorm 1 demo before and frame rate seems worse. Frame rate means a lot to me especially in this kind of games, the silky smooth update in M1 was the thing that made the demo so enjoyable to me. Not 100% sure about this but for sure is seems slightly less fluid and makes me feel more like I'm playing a game than immersing myself.

Hmm, I didn't notice a framerate difference to be honest. Do you have 1080p enabled in your display settings?

Also I don't like the (early) tracks much as it seems to be too hard to see where you are going at and there's less "wow I'm going so fast wheeee" feel and too much "urgh where should I be going next, urgh now I need to try and aim at this tiny hole into this tunnel" going on.

Yes, you do need to learn the tracks at least a little bit, though after I won my first race it took a while before I needed more than one or two tries to get a medal again (ATV excepted, but that's because I use motion control - I used the analog stick yesterday for a bit and almost got silver first try)

Overall very nice game though.

My 2c.

I'm going to bet you'll like it more and more as you get a bit further into the game and you discover just how much better it is than the first. Let me know if I was right. ;)

Not sure about frame rate decrease (Didn't notice it). Perhaps I need to play more.

The first game also required some exploration/experimentation, especially if I want to look for shortcuts. But that's part of the fun. Sometimes, I'd be forced to abandon a path when it became too dangerous. Once you've explored the track, you should be good to go.

For the "Wheeeee !" feeling, I always use the bonnet view. In fact, I make it a point not to play MotorStorm before I drive. The "Wheeeee" feeling is rather dangerous. I feel the rush to speed over humps in drive ways and residential areas after a few MS games. In MS 2, the best "Wheeeee" feeling I got is flying and landing a monster truck on someone else. :)

Loving it so far. The whole experience hasn't changed much, it's just been upgraded and shiny bits put on. Seems like the de facto standard these days. I've just got GOW2 as well and it doesn't really strike me as being much different to GOW1 just shinier and slower.

Hmm, I didn't notice a framerate difference to be honest. Do you have 1080p enabled in your display settings?

Nope, 720p. I haven't downloaded the update yet though, I'm hoping it will magically improve the framerate to silky-smooth-60hz :p

Nope, 720p. I haven't downloaded the update yet though, I'm hoping it will magically improve the framerate to silky-smooth-60hz :p

I'd hate to disappoint you, but even the first Motorstorm was a lousy 30fps. I'm sure MS2 won't be different, at best. :(

Still not sure if I should get this though. The demo was a huge disappointment. They should bring out a more representative demo...

Loving it so far. The whole experience hasn't changed much, it's just been upgraded and shiny bits put on. Seems like the de facto standard these days. I've just got GOW2 as well and it doesn't really strike me as being much different to GOW1 just shinier and slower.

Going from a sandy beach, to a muddy canyon, to an ashy rock and caves, to a lush jungle, to open grassland, to a plantation with sprinklers and sugar canes, to several other kinds of forest, to driving through various forms of water (puddles, pools, waterfalls, riverbeds), etc. ... all kind of different to me anyway! I seem to remember that the original never left the Grand Canyon. ;)

Also, in terms of experience, going through a certain part of forest and running into a fallen tree with a buggy and discovering I can actually fit under that fallen tree, then making a mistake later on the same track with the monster truck and discovering that the fallen tree is at just the right height to crush the monster truck ... it's full of those nice little surprises, and it's a lot of fun!

For me, the difference is quite big, anyway. Though of course, yes, the core gameplay hasn't changed that much. But there was little wrong with that. ;)

Core framerate is the same but MS2 is 99% of the time locked at 30. For me this is a huge achievment considering everything else they have added to the game (tried plyn on a 100hz tv? Motion Plus works a treat on my Samsung 6 Series). As Arwin said, the longer you play it the more you realise what a fabulous game it actually is. Naturally you need to learn the tracks, but this is true for all racers i guess. Learning the tracks is part of the attraction, and
you wont find a more diverse set of tracks currently! 16 tracks only tells half a story! Im halfway through and still not come across any ruberband A.I! Can`t get enough of MS2 thats for sure.

I couldn't find it at JB, but I saw it at EB Games...

Got it from JB i have. I dont go to EB anymore since they always charge you $10 more. Anyway the game is awsome btw, only played for an hour and already loving it. Iwish every game would come with a Photomode as awsome as MSPR's. Ok, back to the game.

I made a link to the post because Shifty asked me before not to turn this thread into a gallery. ;)

It is very addictive and a definite step up from the original, but I do agree with Shifty, the steering seems totally unresponsive. Unless, of course, the sixaxis is interfering with the regular controls?

Back