Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

It will either be priced like the other 360 perhiperals (daylight robbery).
Or it will be priced in a way specifically aimed at hurting sony and the BR camp.

The second option would be really great for consumers. But I see no reason for MS to take this direction since they don't/can't actually make money from HD-DVD discs that are sold. They can only profit from selling the perhiperal.

Unless MS plans on joining Sony and buying themselves a movie studio, or they plan on supporting HD-DVD games at a premium cost, I don't see any advantage to them keeping their prices competitive. Aside from hoping to prevent ps3 sales...

I wonder will the HD-DVD add-on come with a better video chip!?! Because the Xbox 360 DVD playback is complete sh** even compared to $60 standalone DVD player. :rolleyes:

inefficient said:
It will either be priced like the other 360 perhiperals (daylight robbery).
Or it will be priced in a way specifically aimed at hurting sony and the BR camp.

The second option would be really great for consumers. But I see no reason for MS to take this direction since they don't/can't actually make money from HD-DVD discs that are sold. They can only profit from selling the perhiperal.

Unless MS plans on joining Sony and buying themselves a movie studio, or they plan on supporting HD-DVD games at a premium cost, I don't see any advantage to them keeping their prices competitive. Aside from hoping to prevent ps3 sales...

I actually wonder if there's not a danger in drawing attention to the whole HD movie thing, and giving it extra credit. Prospective X360 buyers are now more likely to be tuned into the whole HD movie thing, if they weren't before, and that may actually help Sony rather than hinder them.

Good points about pricing though. My guess is that it's a strategic move to help Toshiba..if it's not priced very attractively, it'll be a bigger waste than it might be. I also wonder if they're willing to highlight their other peripheral pricing as a rip-off by pricing it too low. But we'll see how they handle that.

Nerve-Damage said:
I wonder will the HD-DVD add-on come with a better video chip!?! Because the Xbox 360 DVD playback is complete sh** even compared to $60 standalone DVD player. :rolleyes:
Really? It's not on mine. It's not like a high-end DVD player but it's as good as my stand alone player (which I have zero complaints or problems with either).

Tom Crews

Consider me both surprised and a bit dismayed by this. I'll hold off judgement till I see a price point, but this really just seems silly.

.Sis

Sis said:
Consider me both surprised and a bit dismayed by this. I'll hold off judgement till I see a price point, but this really just seems silly.

.Sis

Seemed silly to me till i read the $100-150 price point someone mentioned. That's VERY cheap and more than worth a look.

The whole add-on thing at the last minute will always sound silly to me, but hey if that gets me a cheapo HDDVD player, who cares?! :D

london-boy said:
Seemed silly to me till i read the $100-150 price point someone mentioned. That's VERY cheap and more than worth a look.

The whole add-on thing at the last minute will always sound silly to me, but hey if that gets me a cheapo HDDVD player, who cares?! :D
That's my thinking as well. If it does come in at 100-150, cool. It fits with the whole model of the end user buying what they want for the Xbox 360.

Any higher...maybe even 200... and it quickly goes into the realm of expensive add-on that no one buys. Plus, the Xbox 360's playback capability hasn't exactly inspired me in terms of quality.

.Sis

Sis said:
That's my thinking as well. If it does come in at 100-150, cool. It fits with the whole model of the end user buying what they want for the Xbox 360.

Any higher...maybe even 200... and it quickly goes into the realm of expensive add-on that no one buys. Plus, the Xbox 360's playback capability hasn't exactly inspired me in terms of quality.

.Sis

Personally, with bloody memory cards and controllers costing around 50 quid, i'm not sure how on earth they'll be selling a HDDVD drive at 100-150 but i'd love to be surprised... ;)

london-boy said:

Yes! under 150$ and I would buy it..............might save wear and tear on the 360's internal DVD drive...........

I would worry about the wear and tear on the ps3's blu-ray drive......do I want to wear my PS3 BD drive out on gaming or movies? Probably just get a stand alone BD player.

EricVonZipper said:
Yes! under 150$ and I would buy it..............might save wear and tear on the 360's internal DVD drive...........

I would worry about the wear and tear on the ps3's blu-ray drive......do I want to wear my PS3 BD drive out on gaming or movies? Probably just get a stand alone BD player.

Well eventually they'll both wear and tear and bear and pear and near and fear and dear and queer;)

Edge said:
Has there ever been a successful add-on? This just smacks of desperation on Microsoft's part, in the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray battle, and a half-hearted effort at that. Microsoft should have supported HD-DVD from the very start. This is just stupid.
This isn't a games-related add-on, this is for HD-DVD movies only. Xbox 360 games will continue to be on DVD9. MS will not lose money on the drives since they will likely be sold at a profit.

Alpha_Spartan said:
This isn't a games-related add-on, this is for HD-DVD movies only. Xbox 360 games will continue to be on DVD9. MS will not lose money on the drives since they will likely be sold at a profit.

Actually, word is Toshiba is so desperate to sell well that they're selling at a loss, so in the end someone down the line is making a loss.

scooby_dooby said:
IF they're selling at a loss that's what, <$50/unit? Maybe that means we will see some cheap pricing (not holding my breath)

Not only for the X360 drive, for all drives in standalone players.

fulcizombie said:
This is how HD-DVD will have enough sales:
1)MS is heavily promoting it with their new OS giving "incentives" for buying PCs with HD-DVD.Judging by the fact that BD for the PC will cost 1000$,that will make most new PC owners get a HD-DVD-equiped PC

A Blu-ray player will cost less than that. I don't think the PS3 will cost $1000.

robofunk said:
Hollywood isn't too interested in making the home experience better then the theater. Look for most theaters going 60fps and digital before we see 60fps@1080p at home.

Doesn't the PS3 and new Sony Blu-ray player have 1080p/60. What does the 60 stand for? Does it stand for 60 fps?

mckmas8808 said:
Doesn't the PS3 and new Sony Blu-ray player have 1080p/60. What does the 60 stand for? Does it stand for 60 fps?

Yes, and according to KK, it can do 120 fps. ;) It can also shovel the laneway if it feels like...

Back