NPD March 2016 Sales Results

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Taken from GAF -- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207934

Software:
  1. Tom Clancy's The Division (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  2. Far Cry: Primal (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U)
  4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  5. UFC 2 (PS4, Xbox One)
  6. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  7. Pokken Tournament (Wii U)
  8. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PSe)
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  10. Minecraft (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3)
Hardware:

PS4: #1 platform

Sony PR:
“Thank you to our fans and partners for making PlayStation 4 the top-selling console and software sales leader for the month of March, as well as the number-one console for fans of The Division, according to NPD. We are truly humbled by the success and look forward to delivering more amazing gaming experiences throughout 2016, including the launch of PlayStation VR this October.”

Microsoft PR:
“In March, global hours spent gaming on Xbox One increased 89 percent compared to last year. Xbox Live engagement was driven by the greatest games lineup, including new titles released in March like ‘Killer Instinct: Season 3’ and ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division.’ ‘Killer Instinct: Season 3’ has seen record engagement across Xbox One and Windows 10 since it launched on March 29, making March the best month ever for the franchise with more than 6 million unique players.Last week, on April 5, we launched ‘Quantum Break’ to critical acclaim and it became the best-selling Xbox game around the world, and is now the biggest-selling new Microsoft Studios published IP this generation. We can’t thank our fans enough for their continued support and we’re looking forward to bringing more unprecedented experiences on Xbox One, Windows 10 and Xbox Live later this year.”

4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)

Yup.

GTA-5_1.jpg

According to @ZhugeEX on Twitter:

PS4 - PS3 = ~328k
XB1 - 360 = ~217k

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GTAV-4K edition for PS4K and XBFourK. i.e. How to sell another gazillion copies of the same game by changing one line of code. :devilish:

If PS4K and XBFourK are a thing... R* would only need to patch the current PS4/XB1 GTA V game for those 4K console gamers with the previous systems editions (of course rebadge the retail boxes on letting new buyers know about "4K capable systems"). There would be such an outcry from console gamers if R* didn't patch the PS4/XB1 editions for forward capability and had to repurchase GTA V just for the 4K experience. That would be such a dick move if they tried that though...

Last edited:
From Creamsugar and Welfare.

The Division 1.7 million PS4/XB1 (~52.35% PS4).

2016 March Unit Sales:
PS4: 330k (330k March/2015)
XB1: 242k (229k March/2015)
Wii U: 66k (82k March/2015)

US PS4/XB1 LTD Gap... >1.6m

But they saved 89 cents on the GPU :LOL:

It will now cost $5 billion in lower prices to keep the Xbox competitive through the generation though.
It is OT but that is oversimplification they did not know what Sony was aiming at (or possibly too late) and the same applies to memory for Sony for a long they were stuck to max 4GB. Now I don't like the design no matter how it fares against its competing design as it did not save them money on the bus/memory controller side and it does not achieve the usual benefits associated with scratchpad.
More on topic those 5 billions won't be spent to stay "competitve' but to stay in the game, the situation is harsher than that for them.

If PS4K and XBFourK are a thing... R* would only need to patch the current PS4/XB1 GTA V game for those 4K console gamers with the previous systems editions (of course rebadge the retail boxes on letting new buyers know about "4K capable systems"). There would be such an outcry from console gamers if R* didn't patch the PS4/XB1 editions for forward capability and had to repurchase GTA V just for the 4K experience. That would be such a dick move if they tried that though...

Hold on there...what if it wasn't just 4k but also 60fps?

That would nullify your expectations of people having a problem.

Also when it comes to remastered versions of GTA...at some point people would not complain because they know they replay the game and play online multiplayer repeatedly.

Hold on there...what if it wasn't just 4k but also 60fps?

That would nullify your expectations of people having a problem.

Also when it comes to remastered versions of GTA...at some point people would not complain because they know they replay the game and play online multiplayer repeatedly.

I'm already having a hard time of believing in the 4K console gaming stuff... let alone 4K/60fps. That being said, performance scaling (getting it to 60fps) should come automatically because the updated hardware isn't alien to the previous (just beefier version of it), and shouldn't require a host of fine tuning. Unlocking/disabling VSYNC should be enough for performance gains (stable performance gains if possible).

And as a PC gamer I would feel offended if R* or any other developer started charging for resolution and performance scaling because my hardware of choice is capable of doing so. If it was PS5/XB2 (no backwards compatibility), then I can see them charging for such updates/remaster. But PS4K/XBFourK, hell no.... lol

They could but they won't. It'll just be released as a patch to the game. There is no re-engineering or porting to get a new game onto the system. Hence a whole new physical disk doesn't need to be manufactured, packaged and shipped to retailers.

That is the beauty of a continuous console upgrade cycle rather than 1 new console. Your games are both backwards and forwards compatible, like a PC. Yes, after a certain amount of time there will be difficulty running on older machines but that would be far longer than the current console "generations" as all they have to do is disable more advanced effects in a configuration file to support extremely old consoles.

Heck if this becomes a thing, then the patch to support new consoles would likely only be the size of a typical e-mail. During the transition, older games that were created prior to the introduction of a more frequent constant upgrade cycle would need a patch to the engine to allow for variable graphics IQ settings controlled by the developer and/or publisher rather than a simple configuration file.

Regards,
SB

New commercials from Sony:

Wanna FourK ?
Playstation.
It only does everyone.

They could but they won't. It'll just be released as a patch to the game. There is no re-engineering or porting to get a new game onto the system. Hence a whole new physical disk doesn't need to be manufactured, packaged and shipped to retailers.

That is the beauty of a continuous console upgrade cycle rather than 1 new console. Your games are both backwards and forwards compatible, like a PC. Yes, after a certain amount of time there will be difficulty running on older machines but that would be far longer than the current console "generations" as all they have to do is disable more advanced effects in a configuration file to support extremely old consoles.

Heck if this becomes a thing, then the patch to support new consoles would likely only be the size of a typical e-mail. During the transition, older games that were created prior to the introduction of a more frequent constant upgrade cycle would need a patch to the engine to allow for variable graphics IQ settings controlled by the developer and/or publisher rather than a simple configuration file.

Regards,
SB

???

What part of my statement is suggesting otherwise? Other than a simple resolution patch...

If you're talking about rebranding the box (with a 4K sticker) on letting new potential consumer know, then ok. But there have been in the past rebranded game boxes, on letting consumers know about new features / add-ons not included in the original. I can see R* having GTA V boxes stickered with "4K compatibility", for those consumers purchasing 4K systems, wondering which games are actually 4K.

Last edited:
???

What part of my statement is suggesting otherwise? Other than a simple resolution patch...

If you're talking about rebranding the box (with a 4K sticker) on letting new potential consumer know, then ok. But there have been in the past rebranded game boxes, on letting consumers know about new features / add-ons not included in the original. I can see R* having GTA V boxes stickered with "4K compatibility", for those consumers purchasing 4K systems, wondering which games are actually 4K.

Sorry, I bunched up the post you were replying to with yours. Ooopsie. Basically I was agreeing with you, other than the need for a rebranded box. Stickers on existing packaging makes sense, however, and it is currently done in retail anyway.

Regards,
SB

PS4 being only very slightly up YOY this month (virtually flat) could be explained by a total lack of big AAA exclusive. They had Infamous SS in 2014 and Bloodborne in 2015.

???

GTAV 4K*, 59$ or only 39$ DLC if you already have the main game! a real bargain!

*PS4k console exclusive

Back