Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
Shamelessly stolen from GAF (props to thinkjose1@GAF)

Building on Xbox 360 leadership in high-definition experiences, the company announced plans to deliver a new Xbox 360 external HD DVD drive in 2006. The new drive will offer millions of Xbox 360 owners the ability to easily enjoy HD DVD movies and will provide consumers with even more choices for experiencing high-definition content, in either physical or digital form.

Full press release:

Highlighting key consumer products such as Xbox 360(TM) and offering the first broad demonstration of the consumer features of Windows Vista(TM), Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ:MSFT) Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates showed how the company is delivering on its vision for a digital lifestyle where devices, services and applications work together seamlessly. In his 10th annual keynote address at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Gates demonstrated how Microsoft(R) Windows Vista, Xbox 360, new mobile devices and the emerging wave of software-based services will deliver more connected and richly personalized experiences for consumers.

In his keynote, Gates said that the consumer electronics industry is poised to deliver a quantum leap forward in rich, interactive, high-definition experiences. "Technology has revolutionized how we listen to music, watch TV, play games, communicate, and manage and share personal information," he said. "In the years ahead, further exciting innovations will unify the software, hardware and services in people's lives, offering them even richer, more engaging and deeply connected experiences."

whoa. Wonder if it will ahve an HDMI port right on it, or the original console CAN actually output HDMI...

EDIT: Or HD-DVD isnt requiring it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not for nothing....but the link is NOT to an official press release, nor do the additional comments quoted say anything about the add-on.

Not saying this isn't true...but I would wait for at least a direct attribution to a MS source.

I posted this in the other thread, oh well:

Awesome, is there any mention of price? Would be great if it was $100 or so. You could get the Retard pack + HD-DVD drive for $400, or the Premium pack w/ HDD + HD-DVD drive for $500.

Has there ever been a successful add-on? This just smacks of desperation on Microsoft's part, in the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray battle, and a half-hearted effort at that. Microsoft should have supported HD-DVD from the very start. This is just stupid.

Edge said:
Has there ever been a successful add-on? This just smacks of desperation on Microsoft's part, in the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray battle, and a half-hearted effort at that. Microsoft should have supported HD-DVD from the very start. This is just stupid.

Out of curiousity, how would you define success for an addon like this?

Given one will have two dedicated drives for two different purposes, can we watch HD-DVD and play games at the same time? :p

Edge said:

Yep you are 100% right. Do anybody actually think that movie studios can depend on an add-on? An add-on that will probably be more expensive than any other add-on in history? I'll add the PS2 HDD only sold to about 1% of the PS2 fanbase and it was only $40 and didn't it come with a game?

Edge said:
Microsoft should have supported HD-DVD from the very start. This is just stupid.

MS does not own the format. Sony is doing it because they have to in order for Blu-Ray to succeed. Why should MS include an HD-DVD drive in every 360 making them more expensive for everyone when only a small percentage will use them?

Shark Sandwich said:
What's the point? Why not just buy a separate HD-DVD player? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Because it will be cheaper to get it for the 360 of course. And you'll still have access to XBL and other features of the 360.

Hardknock said:
MS does not own the format. Sony is doing it because they have to in order for Blu-Ray to succeed. Why should MS include an HD-DVD drive in every 360 making them more expensive for everyone when only a small percentage will use them?

Your right a small percentage will use HD-DVD. More will use Blu-ray.:p

Shark Sandwich said:
What's the point? Why not just buy a separate HD-DVD player? This doesn't make any sense to me.

because the X360 will be the player, the DRIVE is just a reader which most likely will be cheaper.

I don't see it as being a great move, but I don't really how its too negative either. Its an option, no more signifigant than the camera you can use for video chat. What is the big deal?

PG2G said:
I don't see it as being a great move, but I don't really how its too negative either. Its an option, no more signifigant than the camera you can use for video chat. What is the big deal?

PS3 and Blu-Ray fans feel threatened I guess. I don't see how this is "negative" either.

Hardknock said:
Because it will be cheaper to get it for the 360 of course. And you'll still have access to XBL and other features of the 360.

I suppose it could use Xenon/Xenos for decoding. I can't see any other way in which the 360 and the HD-DVD player would need to interact. The HD-DVD player would still need its own digital output and everything, and I am not sure what kind of XBL features an HD-DVD player could have.

If the add-on would allow digital output for 360 games and perhaps 1080p mode however. . .

Hardknock said:
PS3 and Blu-Ray fans feel threatened I guess. I don't see how this is "negative" either.

Yeah the Sega CD and 32X add ons didn't negatively affect the Sega brand either right?

Back