Metro Redux [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Well I wouldn't advice anyone to try Metro 2033 Redux on the PC if they already own the original 2033, the graphics is only better in the textures aspect, the rest are much worse, there are no more muzzle flash dynamic shadows, and flash light shadows are gimped down, volumetric lighting also took a step down, Tessellation as well and atmospheric fog too. Can't speak for the consoles versions, but I imagine they are much worse.

WTH :devilish: ! Why would any one, anyone in their right mind remove muzzle flash shadows afterthe eye dazzling display in the original (and Killzone2) ?!?!??! and what do you mean by Flashlight shadows "gimped down"? like lower res or lesser number objects cast shadows now? I don't care about tesselation but reducing atmospheric fog is a big no no !

I know the games have great atmosphere even at medium to high settings, (damn Last light had superb atmosphere even on the ps3) but removing muzzle flash shadows is liking striking straight at my heart ! (no jokes, I find them too convincing, the firefights become sooo damn dynamic with them ).

I wasn't expecting reductions actually, just was fearing bad IQ !

Question for anyone that can answer. All the DLC is included for last light in Redux.
Does anyone know how to access the DLC ?
Do you have to finish Last Light's campaign before you can access it?

NEVERMIND I FOUND IT.

The Dlc is in the chapters menu under new mission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and I can confirm the install size of the retail version of both games is a total of 17gb on the Xbox One.

It's 14Gb installed on PlayStation 4. I wonder why the 3Gb discrepancy.

I'm at at Chapter 3 "Cursed" so far and really enjoying the game except the outside areas because the speed you burn through filters does not play well with my instinct to search every nook and cranny for goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

It's 14Gb installed on PlayStation 4. I wonder why the 3Gb discrepancy.

I'm at at Chapter 3 "Cursed" so far and really enjoying the game except the outside areas because the speed you burn through filters does not play well with my instinct to search every nook and cranny for goodies.

I am the same way! Metro 2033 was much shorter than I remember.
I feel like I blew through it. I will have to replay it on the hardest difficulty and try for the redemption ending.

I am the same way! Metro 2033 was much shorter than I remember. I feel like I blew through it. I will have to replay it on the hardest difficulty and try for the redemption ending.

There's multiple endings? :oops: Do you get an obvious choice or choice of path somewhere? I'm sure I read about morality being an issue but I've had very few opportunities to show generosity other than giving bullets to a few people in the stations.

The lack of a fully-fledged tutorial is also brutal. I've already got stuck at a couple of points, due to lack of specific instruction. The first when above ground a 'demon' is feeding on a dude and you need to get past. They're buggers to kill but you have grenades but nowhere have you had to use grenades or been shown how. D'oh! The second was not knowing the significance of the lighter
to burn the cobwebs to proceed in the train car shortly after you meet Khan

Still loving it, though. Choice of combat, great atmosphere and it's making m3 totally psyched for Fallout 4.

Hey Dsoup, can you post pics from your play sessions. Really want to see how it looks on the ps4.
I've taken a few in the past hour and still try to remember to take so more as I play on. This is a game that has to be played to be experienced. No amount of screenshots can capture the atmosphere of creeping about the Metro.

I'll probably end up getting the book, I've enjoyed it so much. Not done yet, just hit Chapter 5 'Polis'. No idea how far I am in to the game but getting here was the initial objective so I reckon I'm close to the end.

I've taken a few in the past hour and still try to remember to take so more as I play on. This is a game that has to be played to be experienced. No amount of screenshots can capture the atmosphere of creeping about the Metro.

I'll probably end up getting the book, I've enjoyed it so much. Not done yet, just hit Chapter 5 'Polis'. No idea how far I am in to the game but getting here was the initial objective so I reckon I'm close to the end.

I have played a few chapters on my PC and half of Last Light on the ps3. My PC could not handle the highest settings smoothly and I could not convince myself to play at lower settings so the game got abandoned. But the volumetric lighting was a big part of the atmosphere in 2033, it added a sense of depth and density to the scene making it feel even more heavy and clautrophobic. so I am not sure how good it is on the ps4 now that David says there is no volumetric lighting on the ps4. I am very surprised at the omission, though, since these guys are on the forefront of gfx and volumetric lighting is something every game is trying to show off on the next gen.

On the fence with this one. Is redux worth getting on PS4? I already beat last light on PC

Dunno, you can always get them again on PC. :)

As for new stuff, you can switch gameplay style of both games, electing to play them in "survival" mode of M2033 or in more streamlined "spartan" mode of LL.

Hey Dsoup, can you post pics from your play sessions. Really want to see how it looks on the ps4.

From the latter half of the game.

2014-08-30%20Metro%20Redux%201.jpg

2014-08-30%20Metro%20Redux%202.jpg

2014-08-30%20Metro%20Redux%203.jpg

2014-08-30%20Metro%20Redux%204.jpg

2014-08-30%20Metro%20Redux%205.jpg

2014-08-30%20Metro%20Redux%206.jpg

There's multiple endings? :oops: Do you get an obvious choice or choice of path somewhere? I'm sure I read about morality being an issue but I've had very few opportunities to show generosity other than giving bullets to a few people in the stations.

The lack of a fully-fledged tutorial is also brutal. I've already got stuck at a couple of points, due to lack of specific instruction. The first when above ground a 'demon' is feeding on a dude and you need to get past. They're buggers to kill but you have grenades but nowhere have you had to use grenades or been shown how. D'oh! The second was not knowing the significance of the lighter
to burn the cobwebs to proceed in the train car shortly after you meet Khan

Still loving it, though. Choice of combat, great atmosphere and it's making m3 totally psyched for Fallout 4.

There are two endings in both games I believe. The game has a hidden morality quest.
The only way to know if you got a moral point is when the screen slightly flashes white and you hear an eerie sound like water dripping. You get points by listening to enemy and friendly NPC conversations, finding hidden places and ofcourse giving people money. You have to get a certain number of moral points before the opportunity to get the other ending.
And getting that ending still calls for you to do the right thing at the end of both games.
I hope my post isnt considered a spoiler.

I have played a few chapters on my PC and half of Last Light on the ps3. My PC could not handle the highest settings smoothly and I could not convince myself to play at lower settings so the game got abandoned. But the volumetric lighting was a big part of the atmosphere in 2033, it added a sense of depth and density to the scene making it feel even more heavy and clautrophobic. so I am not sure how good it is on the ps4 now that David says there is no volumetric lighting on the ps4. I am very surprised at the omission, though, since these guys are on the forefront of gfx and volumetric lighting is something every game is trying to show off on the next gen.

I googled volumetric lighting to find its meaning. From my understanding it is when a light source shines through an obsticle like blinds and creates realitic rays of light (like god rays)
The light also effects smoke or fog and dust. I can say I have seen several examples of what appears to my eyes like volumetric lights on the X1 version of 2033. I also saw examples of a comparison between the original and redux version on pc showing Redux has lost certain scenes of volumetric light. In those comparisons the Redux version usually had a remix assets where the obstacles that the light would shine thru are missing.
I am by means no expert just wanted a o share what I noticed

And getting that ending still calls for you to do the right thing at the end of both games. I hope my post isnt considered a spoiler.

Interesting game design decision. I finished 2033 yesterday. Loved the librarians and I decided not to destroy the creepy dudes.

I googled volumetric lighting to find its meaning. From my understanding it is when a light source shines through an obsticle like blinds and creates realitic rays of light (like god rays)
And based on this definition, the PlayStation 4 version also has volumetric lighting, some of which are visible to a more realistic (rather than stylised) degree in the pics I posted above from my play through. To illustrate what I mean realistic vs stylised; here are captures from PC Redux post-patch and PlayStation 4:

PC - METRO 2033 REDUX
metro_2014_08_26_21_14mp46.png

From the pixeldynamo article on the same issue.

And here is the PlayStation 4 Redux version, with a second shot showing what is through the blast doors through which the god rays are coming on the patched PC version.

PS4 - METRO 2033 REDUX
F7HRZRe.png

2014-08-31%20Metro%20Redux%201.jpg

Top pic from the pixeldynamo article, bottom pic from my game taken 10 minutes ago.

So in the PC version with the patch (and original game) there are light sources casting godrays from places where is makes no sense for them to be (the bottom of an escalator) which also seems to some magically form of light that causes those caught in it to cast no shadows :yep2:

The light also effects smoke or fog and dust. I can say I have seen several examples of what appears to my eyes like volumetric lights on the X1 version of 2033.

Likewise PlayStation 4. Lit dust particles have proven difficult to capture for me, effects which look clear and sparkly in game get downscaled out of existence in PS4 captures.

Well, the PC version does look much more dramatic thanx to that light ! Also there are so many places where light used to filter in from various areas.
Lets see, the ps4 version doesn't look bad but the volumetric lights are what I remember the most from my time in Metro 2033. THey were really trying to show them off at that time.

Same for Last Light. THey seem to be relying too much on Lens flares and Glow around lights to get the same kindof volume around lights in the console versing.

And fog and smoke particles being lit by light sources doesn't fall under volumetric lights. Volumetric lights basically cast a fog of their own, speaking in Maya/Max terms. Particles lit by light sources do look great too, no doubt.

Well, the PC version does look much more dramatic thanx to that light ! Also there are so many places where light used to filter in from various areas.
This is also present on PS4 but not, to my recollection, an awful lot because most of the environments are self-contained so there are only a few places where light will bleed into an environment from elsewhere.

I guess it depends what you want from visuals, and to a large degree, how you play the game. For me Metro 2033 was a game where I spent much of the time sneaking around large dark areas taking down a bunch of bad guys with little ammo. In this environment, I really don't want dramatic fake lightning that doesn't cast shadows on others by lights me. In all of my encounters on PS4, enemies could be seen - even when obscured by other objects, because of shadows being cast from them between between a light source (fire, lamp, light) and something the shadow could be cast on - the floor, a wall, a door, the ceiling etc.

The Front Line area, which is a massive open underground cavern where the Reds border the Reich, and the immediate following areas exemplified the game's lighting and how it affected tactics and gameplay. The moment you throw this out for 'dramatic' reasons, you're breaking the gameplay - or at least you are if you're not playing the superior console version ;-)

Lets see, the ps4 version doesn't look bad but the volumetric lights are what I remember the most from my time in Metro 2033. THey were really trying to show them off at that time.

And these sprinkled on godrays aren't casting shadows. Why create this great graphics engine, that allows for dynamic lighting and shadow casting, so good that you can see three heads casting shadows on the ceiling behind that pile of crates so you know there are three dudes sitting around the fire there even though only two are talking, then throw in non-sensical magical lighting that breaks that?

I just don't get it :nope:

TL;DR graphics should enhance gameplay not damage it.

I don't see your point. The game looked fab with those sources and its the same dev who put those there and have re-patched them into PC version. So, obviously they were removed for performance reasons, not aesthetical. They really add volume to the rooms. and those shadows of creatures and enemies were all there, even with volumetric lighting in there! Its just that light sources themselves were volumetric, casting superb fogs. They just added to the scene, didn't remove anything.

ANyways, I bought the combo pack, so will be playing on the ps4 soon. Couldn't realy enjoy 2033 on my pc ack then as my fps was low on higher settings and the game's story telling was very disconnected at that time. both problems are supposedly fixed on the ps4, so ......waiting for the download to get done !

Back