Metro Redux [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
I understand perfectly. I just don't want to have to decide, cause I'd never decide and I'd just be switching back and forth every 2 min, get annoyed and ultimately stop playing.
Yes, I need professional help.

I understand perfectly. I just don't want to have to decide, cause I'd never decide and I'd just be switching back and forth every 2 min, get annoyed and ultimately stop playing.
Sometimes it's obvious which you prefer. Curiosity led to try the 30fps mode in The Last of Us and having spent four very long seconds in 30fps, I switched back :yes:

Wasn't the PhysX in metro completely CPU based? Things like tessellation and super sampling shouldn't affect whether PhysX is included or not.

PhysX has CPU and GPU modules. Games such as SHIFT1, SHIFT2 and pCARS use those CPU calulations for car physics. In pCARS they are emulating dozens of layers of tires, heating, graining, very neat stuff.

But the most "splashy" effects of PhysX are GPU powered [fur, fluids, particles etc].

And the fact that their games are awesome shoud more than encourage us to support 4A Games now with Metro Redux and in their future projects.
We should buy Metro Redux because Russia annexed Crimea? Interesting sales pitch, but I was going to buy it anyway :)

I read the Xbox One version is weighing in at around 17Gb for both games so assuming the PlayStation 4 is likewise, this will be a digital purchase for me. I hope Sony enable pre-ordering for the package and 4A permit pre-loading for this so I get can up next Friday morning and jump straight in :yes:

Due to the hidden war Ukraine has currently with Russia, 4A Games studio had to move reluctantly to Malta: The whole team landed at Malta, article from Polygon:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/20/6048533/ukraines-4a-games-lands-in-malta-we-are-not-betrayers

And the fact that their games are awesome shoud more than encourage us to support 4A Games now with Metro Redux and in their future projects.

I completely agree! I have read several articles about the conditions that 4a works in.
It is completely amazing they achieve the quality they do.
I know their games can be buggy but that is understandable when you think about the size of the team.

Well Malta also has some extremely advantageous tax incentives, for any foreign company willing to relocate or open an office there...

Well Malta also has some extremely advantageous tax incentives, for any foreign company willing to relocate or open an office there...

Interesting, I had no idea Malta offered that. I always hear of Canada aggressively courting video game companies with piles of benefits especially Quebec but not as much about other parts of the world.

Effectively they pay only 5% corporate tax, which is amazing.

Well that's pretty easy to do here in the USA as well really, you just need a good accountant. Do they do stuff like help pay for facilities, fund parts of games, give loans with very low interest and so on?

Well that's pretty easy to do here in the USA as well really, you just need a good accountant. Do they do stuff like help pay for facilities, fund parts of games, give loans with very low interest and so on?

I don't know the details really, I just had a client who told me about the corp tax. For European companies it's a pretty good option.

I don't know the details really, I just had a client who told me about the corp tax. For European companies it's a pretty good option.
It's actually exceptional for US companies too. You can use an accountant to avoid tax anywhere in the world.

It's actually exceptional for US companies too. You can use an accountant to avoid tax anywhere in the world.

No.
Moving a company to Malta is NOT tax avoidance.
Having a business in any country but 'using an accountant' to funnel profits elsewhere and pay next to no tax is considered tax avoidance, which right now in Europe is being criticised heavily, although prosecution is always tricky due to very shady laws.
In the UK at least we hear it a lot about companies (Amazon, Starbucks etc) who just send profits to foreign accounts in order to avoid paying tax. This is being lambasted in the press.
Moving a business to Malta is a completely different thing to having a good accountant to avoid paying tax.

You have misunderstood me - I was backing up your statements. joker454 above states:

"Well that's pretty easy to do here in the USA as well really, you just need a good accountant"

So I responded with "It's actually exceptional for US companies too." then started a new sentence with "You can use an accountant to avoid tax anywhere in the world."

I think they went to Malta not only because the taxes were very low there but also because Malta is a member of the European Union. They said that they had to reassure their investors.

As a member of the EU, Malta probably won't be invaded by a foreigner country...

You have misunderstood me - I was backing up your statements. joker454 above states:

"Well that's pretty easy to do here in the USA as well really, you just need a good accountant"

So I responded with "It's actually exceptional for US companies too." then started a new sentence with "You can use an accountant to avoid tax anywhere in the world."

My bad! :D

Anyway Malta is a lovely little island so can't blame them really. Sun and low taxes. Send me there!

Well I wouldn't advice anyone to try Metro 2033 Redux on the PC if they already own the original 2033, the graphics is only better in the textures aspect, the rest are much worse, there are no more muzzle flash dynamic shadows, and flash light shadows are gimped down, volumetric lighting also took a step down, Tessellation as well and atmospheric fog too. Can't speak for the consoles versions, but I imagine they are much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing the PS4 version of the game. It looks really good and clean. A huge HUGE upgrade to the 360/PS3 versions of Metro.

They probably should never have even released redux on PC.

With how everything was re-adjusted and modified and in some cases downgraded from the original PC version, you can easily tell this was an optimization effort largely aimed at getting the best possible performance to visuals ratio on PS4 and Xbox One with little regard for the PC port.

From what i've been playing of it, they certainly succeeded in their goal well. Anyone who has a next gen console and never picked up Metro should definitely check it out.

That explains how a comment I saw on a "Redux vs Original" PC video on youtube a couple weeks ago was "original looks better".

Guess they weren't just trolling.

Back