Metro Redux [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
I don't think the original looks better, graphics comprises of a lot of elements and you can't just say it looks bad because the original has volumetric lights and more smoke. It does pretty much everything else worse than Redux from textures to animation, shaders, art work and the assets. The outdoors look very flat comparatively because the lighting does not look very convincing in the outdoor sections, the textures (snow textures for example) in outdoor areas of 2033 were very poor but they are fantastic in Redux.

Also a lot of the volumetric lighting in 2033 simply did not make sense, sometimes you'd see volumetric in an area where it's just not possible. Prime example being the very first location from the game when Hunter arrives and the doors open, there seems to be a light source beyond the door like a sun but what you see is staircases leading up, there's simply no way for sunlight to enter the room in that manner and cause volumetric light and the light's just too damn bright to be any kind of artificial light source.

2evytme.jpg

Woop, got my answer. That's very impressive.

Also a lot of the volumetric lighting in 2033 simply did not make sense, sometimes you'd see volumetric in an area where it's just not possible. Prime example being the very first location from the game when Hunter arrives and the doors open, there seems to be a light source beyond the door like a sun but what you see is staircases leading up, there's simply no way for sunlight to enter the room in that manner and cause volumetric light and the light's just too damn bright to be any kind of artificial light source.
The fact of the matter is, the original is techincally superior, Yes there are instances where the tech is a bit extreme and unrealistic, but there are a lot more instances where it is actually very beneficial. The reduction in dynamic shadows, Tessellation and fog is completely uncalled for.

2evytme.jpg

Woop, got my answer. That's very impressive.
The comparison is made with the gimped down PC version not the original 2033.

The fact of the matter is, the original is techincally superior, Yes there are instances where the tech is a bit extreme and unrealistic, but there are a lot more instances where it is actually very beneficial. The reduction in dynamic shadows, Tessellation and fog is completely uncalled for.

The comparison is made with the gimped down PC version not the original 2033.
But that's not entirely true because Redux is technically superior in some areas as well. And it doesn't matter if it's scaled back if the original was a bit overboard, maybe if given a choice to go back in the past the artists would've used less volumetric lights or maybe not, we don't know. I'm not saying Redux is better in all aspects because it isn't but to claim that the original is technically superior in every aspect and also looks better just because it lacks volumetric lighting and fog is simply false when there are a lot of things Redux clearly does better.

Also the tessellation in the original was only used for characters and it was one of the most unoptimised implementation I've ever seen, Redux even without tessellation has superior models since it uses the models from Last Light.

I have no expeirence with either Pc version of Metro, but Redux looks damn fine on consoles.
Super smooth with better gameplay improved animations and higher enemy count.
I think 4A did a great job especially considering the time they had.

If not for the sake of locked 60fps on PS4, I believe Redux could easily retain the missing features of the original. Such a shame they were bought in by marketing words such as 60fps. I have great hope for their upcoming new project which is 30fps bound, effects laden and full PBR, should see a drastic improvement in visuals.

Also the tessellation in the original was only used for characters and it was one of the most unoptimised implementation I've ever seen, Redux even without tessellation has superior models since it uses the models from Last Light.
Tessellation were used on several inanimate objects as well not just characters.

At any rate, the PC version is getting a patch that adds some features back, among them is volumetric lights.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/metro...umetric-lights-exclusively-to-the-pc-version/

We should buy Metro Redux because Russia annexed Crimea? Interesting sales pitch, but I was going to buy it anyway :)

I read the Xbox One version is weighing in at around 17Gb for both games so assuming the PlayStation 4 is likewise, this will be a digital purchase for me. I hope Sony enable pre-ordering for the package and 4A permit pre-loading for this so I get can up next Friday morning and jump straight in :yes:

Not buying this game but I agree. 40GB makes digital a lot less palatable. IMO developers need to aim for ~20 GB or so if possible, like Watch Dogs came in at.

BTW these games are not available for purchase separately, are they? That'd be interesting, if you could just buy one of them for $20.

I completely agree! I have read several articles about the conditions that 4a works in.

Not fully versed on that but I recall CliffyB I think calling some of that stuff out as basically, clever marketing :p

They are available separately as far as the digital versions go.
Oh and I can confirm the install size of the retail version of both games is a total of 17gb on the Xbox One.

Same size for PS4. I was really suprised considering it is 2 games. TLOU is 43 and bigger than many next gen only games...sure a lot of that is FMV's, but still...

I hope every single developer goes for real time cutscenes in this generation, its just better for saving me hard drive space

Same size for PS4. I was really suprised considering it is 2 games. TLOU is 43 and bigger than many next gen only games...sure a lot of that is FMV's, but still...

I hope every single developer goes for real time cutscenes in this generation, its just better for saving me hard drive space

The FMVs are 1080p/60FPS that's why they take an asston of space.

that's why i dont want them taking up space going forward :D

Real time graphics have gotten good enough to not need to rely on that...the horsepower is also there

I've only spent a few hours in 2033 but love it already. Engine and art style give the game a great atmosphere :yes:

I've only spent a few hours in 2033 but love it already. Engine and art style give the game a great atmosphere :yes:

I agree. Both games have a certain charm that make them standout from the rest of the fps military shooters. I like the fact you have two completely different factions of enemies
The humans (Communists,Nazis) and the mutants(watchers, Nosalis,Librarians).

So, has anyone played it on the ps4 yet? How is the IQ? I saw quite a bit of aliasing in some scenes in the trailer. How's the realtime GI? Does the light from the flashlight also bounce around? Or is the GI only for the sunlight , like in Crysis 3?

This most likey wont answer your question. One thing I have noticed on the X1 version of last light is that enemy flashlights have a tendency to shine through walls when they get to close.
I have even seen them come through where the floor meets the wall. Funny thing is it I haven't seen it in 2033.

Back