*merged/spinoff* for the Neverending Killzone Discussion on Graphics

trade off is pretty big for TAA atleast for me. Ghosting and some loss in texture detail due to frame jittering especially for games with high frequency texture. Barely even works in a 60 fps like DMC4 30 fps games is going to be worse. I rather have 0 AA than TAA.

Check my last post in console Crysis topic.
The videos? They're good xD Not much ghosting and minimal aliasing.

trade off is pretty big for TAA atleast for me. Ghosting and some loss in texture detail due to frame jittering especially for games with high frequency texture. Barely even works in a 60 fps like DMC4 30 fps games is going to be worse. I rather have 0 AA than TAA.
It's not standard TAA. While it introduces ghosting, everything looks pretty good and clean.

In any case, all I wanted to point out is that MLAA is hardly the best solution ever. It's efficient but it has its drawbacks as pointed out earlier in the thread.

In any case, all I wanted to point out is that MLAA is hardly the best solution ever. It's efficient but it has its drawbacks as pointed out earlier in the thread.

Low resolution + temporal have without any doubt more drawbacks in comparison with 1280x720 + SPU MLAA. ;)

It's not standard TAA. While it introduces ghosting, everything looks pretty good and clean.

That's a silly point, because EVERYTHING has drawbacks. Crytech's TAA has a hell of a lot more drawbacks than Sony's MLAA. That's for sure, as the videos show. Plus, it achieved an IQ that most wouldn't have thought possible on a console this gen. ;) Denial of this doesn't change a thing.

You think MLAA would do better for those sub-pixel lines?

Mostly not, but I didnt say that MLAA dont have problem w sub-pixel aliasing [it does].
Crytek's implementation has problem with sub-pixel aliasing and many close edges too. So what's better? Close high quality AA and efficient distant or only efficient distant?
BTW I asked friend for KZ 3 footage of sub-pixel aliasing, but I'll probably post it in AA thread to not off-topic more.

I don't think people are claiming MLAA is the best solution ever. There were comments within the scope of the home consoles today, and some were comparing with temporal AA.

Besides ghosting, it seems that temporal AA can have other blending issues, which limits its application to distant objects in C2 (as conjectured by DF). It doesn't work on static screens. It also doesn't necessarily address shimmering, and subpixel aliasing. May be it's a good complementary solution but I doubt it can replace other AA methods on its own.

Probably depends on the game and specific implementations. The devs should be able to implement MLAA differently according to their resource availability. When conditions are favorable, I remember it should be comparable to 16xMSAA based on the MLAA paper. GoW3 is probably the best showcase on home consoles so far.

I suppose 4xMSAA quality will vary depending on implementation too.

There are screenshots where the MLAA breaks down pretty badly, but that seems to be a common problem no matter which AA solution is chosen. I'd like 4x MSAA, but it isn't a very realistic expectation on the consoles, for most types of games. I'd rather see a game push the visuals in other departments. MLAA seems a great compromise on the PS3.

If the devs designed the game around the tech, they can deliver better than 4xMSAA image quality, and minimize the conditions where the math breaks down. MLAA is a great solution that has propagated to ATI's features set. On the PS3, the SPUs are fortunately there to help out; they may be idling otherwise. ^_^ The solution fits PS3's architecture rather well.

You mean worse than 4xMSAA?
Which console shooters have 720p with 4xMSAA? If there are any, I can guarantee that they'll look far worse than the likes of KZ3, C2 and Halo Reach, due to the massive compromises they'll have to make in other areas. MLAA has much better quality than 4xMSAA on non-thin geometry by the way.

4xMSAA argument is a red herring, and does not change the fact that you are wrong in every possible way by suggesting 1152x720 TAA can compete with 720p SPU MLAA.

How is this Killzone 3 vs Crysis 2 crap still going on? Yes, 1280x720 plus MLAA looks better than 1152x720 with edge detect and temporal AA, but how does that negate that MLAA still has some issues, or drawbacks?

How is this Killzone 3 vs Crysis 2 crap still going on? Yes, 1280x720 plus MLAA looks better than 1152x720 with edge detect and temporal AA, but how does that negate that MLAA still has some issues, or drawbacks?

It doesn't. The discussion was about whether there were better alternatives than MLAA available for GG, or whether MLAA was the best choice for this game.

If the devs designed the game around the tech, they can deliver better than 4xMSAA image quality, and minimize the conditions where the math breaks down.
I don't see how MLAA can ever deliver better IQ than 4xMSAA. In certain frames it may have less aliasing, but the overall image quality is always worse, especially in motion.

Back