Japan Sales Thread

I'd wait for their plan -- if any -- to pan out more in 2010 before judging them.
Thing is, how can we know how well their plan went if we don't know what the plan is in advance? Whatever happens, if the plan is a secret you can cough into your fist and announce..."uh, yeah. It all went exactly according to plan." Especially if you claim the plan is 'to see what happens'!

Personally I don't have a clue what they were/are thinking with PSPGo! My first guess is they just completely miscalculated what the market wanted but don't want to slash the price to what you'd expect (in line with PSP3000), and are left with something of a turkey. Like the GameBoy Micro. Go! should have been a cost reduced device to hit mass-market adoption as a killer gift over Christmas (although perhaps Sony didn't want to cannibalise PS3 sales??).

Especially if you claim the plan is 'to see what happens'!

Indeed. If the history of the PS3, from E3 announcement to today, shows anything, it's that "Plan" and "Sony" seem to have had little to do with one another over the last few years.

I hope that the PSPGo becomes something other than the paperweight it is now, as on the face of it I think it's a very desirable object. But I am in no way going to take a gamble on something that I have serious doubts on being more than a "filler" for Sony before the release of a new handheld. It's in no way priced for such a risk.

Thing is, how can we know how well their plan went if we don't know what the plan is in advance? Whatever happens, if the plan is a secret you can cough into your fist and announce..."uh, yeah. It all went exactly according to plan." Especially if you claim the plan is 'to see what happens'!

You can usually tell (eventually) by cross referencing various stats and their interviews. Whenever the press talk about PSP, they will be curious about PSPGo from now on. Don't think Sony can hide from this one.

As for "the plan", Kaz mentioned Playstation network and Sony Online Services as their next focus. We will know more over time.

Personally I don't have a clue what they were/are thinking with PSPGo! My first guess is they just completely miscalculated what the market wanted but don't want to slash the price to what you'd expect (in line with PSP3000), and are left with something of a turkey. Like the GameBoy Micro. Go! should have been a cost reduced device to hit mass-market adoption as a killer gift over Christmas (although perhaps Sony didn't want to cannibalise PS3 sales??).

That game plan may belong to PSP-4000 though. Not sure if it's going to be cheaper, but it is said that it will replace PSP-3000.

Indeed. If the history of the PS3, from E3 announcement to today, shows anything, it's that "Plan" and "Sony" seem to have had little to do with one another over the last few years.

They have improved significantly in execution. The plan will obviously be revised as they get more market feedback.

You can usually tell (eventually) by cross referencing various stats and their interviews. Whenever the press talks about PSP, they will be curious about PSPGo from now on. Don't think Sony can hide from this one.

As for "the plan", Kaz mentioned Playstation network and Sony Online Services as their next focus. We will know more over time.
Why would that need the Go though? AFAICS there is no clear plan that requires a more expensive PSP then the existing one with a MemoryStick. It's just an overpriced SKU. How is that part of some plan to roll out services? If Go! had some superior connectivity (3G) I could undertstand it, but it's functionally identical, meaning it can't be playing some role, other than to see how much people are willing to spend on a handheld!

I still think one day it will end up in a $399 PS3 bundle. Maybe I'm crazy but it can't cost much more than $100 to make.

If one were to spin the Go as a tester device I'd say it's to see the public's reaction to a DD only device. I'm sure that's where a lot of content providers see things going eventually.

Now what to make of the public's reaction to a DD only device is another matter.

(I'm looking at things like the iPhone as a separate entity in this equation.)

Cheers.

If one were to spin the Go as a tester device I'd say it's to see the public's reaction to a DD only device. I'm sure that's where a lot of content providers see things going eventually.

Now what to make of the public's reaction to a DD only device is another matter.

(I'm looking at things like the iPhone as a separate entity in this equation.)

Cheers.

Not a very good test if you doom it from day one, by making it the same price as a more capable device AND don't release games day and date with physical media for that other same priced device...

That's basically running a test with the sole and only objective being to prove that it doesn't work. IE - a very biased test.

If that's the case, it definitely points to political moves between different groups within Sony. In this case, one group trying to win points by proving a DD device will fail in the marketplace.

Regards,
SB

Why would that need the Go though? AFAICS there is no clear plan that requires a more expensive PSP then the existing one with a MemoryStick. It's just an overpriced SKU. How is that part of some plan to roll out services? If Go! had some superior connectivity (3G) I could undertstand it, but it's functionally identical, meaning it can't be playing some role, other than to see how much people are willing to spend on a handheld!

The Go has Bluetooth though, so you can connect to the internet through your phone.

Don't think we have to worry about price since this is something Sony and the retailers can control. Some retailers have already dropped their price based on poor market reception.

As for being part of a plan to roll out services, I am afraid we will have to wait and see. I do think they need to fix the end-user UMD conversion problem, unless they are ready to roll out a new business model soon.

I still think one day it will end up in a $399 PS3 bundle. Maybe I'm crazy but it can't cost much more than $100 to make.

I am thinking part of something else too, but not necessarily PS3.

My white PSP 1k had a malfunction (kid dropped it one too many times - that one too many being the 63rd or so :p) so I was on the verge of getting a white PSP 3k for 159 euros. Mediamarkt, who originally refused to sell the PSP Go, now has plenty of them in stock ;) - I actually talked to someone on the store about this, that the Go may not be great for selling software but it still has a whole bunch of high profit peripherals you can make money on ... ;) Guess they agreed. ;)

They sold it for 244, and while that's 85 euros more than the 3k, it still means 4 extra games for me as well as 16GB of memory for that price, which isn't that bad if you think about it. I was also clever enough to buy a 8GB card in the PSP Go compatible format (as it came with a free adapter so I could also use it in the 1k), so all things considered the Go was already starting to look like the better deal by far here ... The only big thing that has made me want the 3k more is USB recharging, but it's a strong bonus - if they ever add that to the Go, then it'd definitely become my favorite 1k successor, no questions asked (or not many anyway)

However, I decided that even better value for money would be if I could fix the 1k myself, and almost to my own disappointment, I managed it, so the Go is back on hold for the time being. :LOL:

Not a very good test if you doom it from day one, by making it the same price as a more capable device AND don't release games day and date with physical media for that other same priced device...

That's basically running a test with the sole and only objective being to prove that it doesn't work. IE - a very biased test.

If that's the case, it definitely points to political moves between different groups within Sony. In this case, one group trying to win points by proving a DD device will fail in the marketplace.

Regards,
SB

Heh, I was just talking theory - given the ongoing discussion in the thread.

I'm not a believer in that theory by any means. And even if it was true, unsurprisingly, the execution was severly lacking!

Cheers.

Isn't PS3>Wii almost a certainty for this year? The biggest question among GAFfers is who wins during the holiday period.

The PS3 is now going to need to seriously outsell the Wii for the remaining weeks and I don't think that is going to happen. I meant to say this at the time you posted but, winning the holiday period with as close as the two were in YTD would have decided the winner.

Famitsu:
PS3 - 76,000
WII - 142,000

NSMBWii - 465,000

NSMB Wii selling better than the DS when comparing weeks.

DSiLL still moving better than DSi...

Yeah, FFXIII just arrive in Japan as we speak. There is also a PS3 Lighting bundle with the game. So next week should be interesting to see if the table turns.

Dont forget about FFXIII though.

I haven't forgotten about it at all but surely you don't think that will cause the people buying NSMB Wii to stop purchasing the Wii. Unless you believe that FFXIII is going to move hundreds of thousands of hardware units above the Wii and I don't envision that scenario at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
So PS3 has ~120,000 to make up. Certainly possible, i expect it to close plenty of ground over the next two weeks atleast so it could be close. 60,000 over wii for two weeks will be a tall order but if any game can do it its Final Fantasy.

Back