Japan Sales Thread

No, sorry, I meant, what was the DSi launch like? I sorta doubt we'll see the LL outselling the DSi in following weeks, but that might just be me.

Cant see a DD only console coming from Sony next gen thats for sure ;)

Though i do wonder what it would look like had they taken the 3000 off the market. Do people just prefer the option of both DD and physical media if its available, or is it something else that people prefer? Probably the price id guess, removing functionality and increasing price dont go together too well!

Nothing wrong with a DD only device. What's wrong with the PSP Go! for me has nothing to do with it being DD only - it's not being rechargeable with a USB cable and its high price that's holding me back more than anything, and I think particularly the high price is an issue with many others as well.

Right now you can get a PSP3k and an 8GB card, and you have all the DD benefits of the PSP Go. In my case, I already have two PSP1ks, and I have them fitted with 4 and 8GB now ...

Which brings me to my main point: the success of Sony's DD strategy should NOT be judged by the success of the PSPGo - it should be judged by the success of DD sales. The PSP Go has a lot of features that I like, but the concept will come into its own soon enough.

Most important step is price of the device right now.

Cant see a DD only console coming from Sony next gen thats for sure ;)

Though i do wonder what it would look like had they taken the 3000 off the market. Do people just prefer the option of both DD and physical media if its available, or is it something else that people prefer? Probably the price id guess, removing functionality and increasing price dont go together too well!

I think PSP Go is a luxury device (I love mine), and people are more concerned with price. I think its role is also to push the profile of the PSP platform in the way that people desire the top of the line but get the cheaper version in the end.

Also, it doesn't matter for the PSP platform as such if the Go is a success as long as the 3000 is selling.

The main bummer about the Go is Sony's lack of commitment for day-and-day DD releases. As an example, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep was rumored to not get a DD release at all, due to licensing agreements with Disney.

All the rest I actually sorta expected from what it was.

Kinda reminds me of how Steam was spotty on releases when it was first launched. And now many titles launch day and date with the physical media.

Remains to be seen if Sony can get pubs to do the same with regards to the PSP Go. Either way, my launch PSP is still going strong, so no urge to get a Go.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know where to stick this. Following EU video store, Sony has launched Japan video store too:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/12/02/ps_store_movies/

Today, the shop became a true video store with the start of availability of movies and other non-anime content from Sony Pictures and Warner Entertainment.

PS3 owners can now rent and buy the latest dramas and Hollywood flicks through Sony's shop. Content pricing is ¥350 to ¥400 for SD rentals, ¥500 to ¥600 for HD rentals, and ¥1,200 to ¥3,500 for SD purchases. HD content will not, at present, be offered for sale.

Don't know where to stick this. Following EU video store, Sony has launched Japan video store too:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/12/02/ps_store_movies/

Surely the "...as media players" thread would be better than a Sales Thread...

Sales: credit: NeoGAF
DSi LL 67,243
Wii 46,673
PS3 46,558
PSP 38,839
DSi 37,021
DS Lite 7,268
PSP go 3,809
Xbox 360 3,685
PS2 2,057

First DAY sales for New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 420,000

The PSPgo still has about 100,000 units to sell just to sell the first shipment. I can't imagine that SONY was under the impression that they would be competing with the DSl and the 360 when the go was in development. PS3 still doing so much better than before.

I still don't think Sony ever took the Go too seriously, but given that they can't even commit to day-and-date DD I think my theory's gone down the toilet.

Nice sales of SMB. But only pushed Wii back up to PS3 levels. I'm going to guess that FF is going give PS3 a bigger push.

So it might be possible that as postulated, there's less people that want SMB but don't have a Wii than there probably will be of people that want FF but don't have a PS3.

Shaping up to be a fairly good year for PS3 in Japan.

Regards,
SB

Those HW numbers are for the week before NSMB. There were no major releases for the PS3 though, and it still went up. I also think FF is going to give a bigger HW bump than NSMB and I think the PS3 will pass the Wii YTD.

Are you thinking Proof-of-Concept or what?

I thought (maybe I still do) it was an experiment; offering the hardcore Playstation supporters an Ipod-like device. The hardcore tech geeks/the Faithful will buy anything, and that that sticker price they wouldn't lose a penny on it. But then they went and shipped 150k for Japan alone. That's awfully aggressive. For that market I would have expected a 'limited edition', more along the lines of Gameboy Micro. Especially since it doesn't seem like the Japanese are huge on doing DD our way.

Otherwise, in the US at least I saw it as a trojan horse to make day-and-date DD releases more 'acceptable' to retail. Except... they're not even going for those. Also I think that making that push towards DD was in part to sweeten the pot for 3rd parties -- the PSP had relatively high western support this year.

Maybe an experiment in how far the DD-only model can go, but given the price and Sony's lack of commitment to the platform I can't see how they'd get any sort of worthwhile information from it. In fact, so many things about the launch are weird and botched and half-assed that I have to wonder what sort of internal struggle is going on.

I still don't think the Go was intended as a true replacement for the 3000, or even a real fore-runner of the replacement. If PSP2 isn't announced next year, I'm sure we'll see a PSP-4000 instead, with UMD drive.

Isn't PS3>Wii almost a certainty for this year? The biggest question among GAFfers is who wins during the holiday period.

Isn't PS3>Wii almost a certainty for this year? The biggest question among GAFfers is who wins during the holiday period.

I'd say PS3 should handily win. There's more potential Japanese gamers without a PS3 than there are potential gamers without a Wii...

And from what my relatives are saying there, the economy might be starting to come out of the most recent downturn, so that may help push all the consoles a little.

Regards,
SB

I still don't think Sony ever took the Go too seriously, but given that they can't even commit to day-and-date DD I think my theory's gone down the toilet.

The Go is a peculiar system. According to the retailers, Sony did not expect high sales for the device even before launch. They position it as a parallel offering to PSP-3000.

It looks like PSPGo was a defensive or pre-emptive move to capture the early but growing digital only distribution. If I were them, I'd evolve it into a PSP Phone.

And then enhance PSP-4000 with better network, outdoor and/or group gaming titles separately.

Back