J. Allard may be leaving Microsoft -he was a member of the original Xbox team-

Allard has had nothing to do with the XB brand since XB360's release AFAIK, and he certianly has squat to do with Natal. The 'old' was out with this gen (same with Kutaragi) so that certainly can't be the topic!

Well the Wall Street Journal is now reporting it's a major restructuring of Embedded Devices managment

Apparently has to do with Microsoft's failure in mobile devices lately, not 360 (which presumably is doing at least fine).

Still, I hope new management doesn't decide/have the capability to do anything rash, like decide Xbox 720 is coming next year :smile:

The Zune HD is just a ME TOO device that came too late with no compelling features that make it stand out. The iPod owned the Zune and the iPod Touch owned the ZuneHD. Finally the iPad owned Courier. BTW MS doesn't even make the hardware inside the Zune, it's basically a rebadged Toshiba MP3 player.

The zune software is what makes it special . Finding music and navigating through the menus is like butter , while on the ipods its like the worlds fastest man walking up a flight of stairs.

I can tell you've never actual used a zune . I've had experiance with both.

Phil Harrison has disappeared out of the industry too. Maybe these two should partner up, though I'm not sure what to do. It'd just be a bit ironic. :)

No he has not. He recently partnered up with the same Atari CEO who brought him there and started a venture fund. It's on gamasutra.com somewhere.

The zune software is what makes it special . Finding music and navigating through the menus is like butter , while on the ipods its like the worlds fastest man walking up a flight of stairs.

I can tell you've never actual used a zune . I've had experiance with both.

The Zune software on the original non touchscreen isn't special, it's just a generaic GUI like every other MP3 player out there.

The Zune HD with the touchscreen is better but it's no better than the iPod touch's GUI.

I don't own a Zune or any of the iPods BUT I've played with them in stores. The Zunes are not better, they're about the same as the iPods just different. MS has shown with the ZUNE platform that they are just followers not innovators.

The Courier was an attempt to innovate but it seems confused and doesn't know what it wants to be and doesn't know who it wants to target.

What? No comments about Robbie Bach leaving & now Don Mattrick reports directly to Steve Ballmer? Wow, just wow.

Tommy McClain

The Zune software on the original non touchscreen isn't special, it's just a generaic GUI like every other MP3 player out there.

The Zune HD with the touchscreen is better but it's no better than the iPod touch's GUI.

I don't own a Zune or any of the iPods BUT I've played with them in stores. The Zunes are not better, they're about the same as the iPods just different. MS has shown with the ZUNE platform that they are just followers not innovators.

The Courier was an attempt to innovate but it seems confused and doesn't know what it wants to be and doesn't know who it wants to target.

You need to spend time with the zune. Its a much better experiance than the ipods.

I'm not sure what store your playing with them at , but the main probem with the ipods is when you get alot of content on the device, the zune does not have that problem and zunes in stores only have the original hd firmware and have only a few promotional videos on them .

What was the chain of command like before?

Mattrick reported to Bach who reported to Ballmer. The shake up today gives Ballmer more direct input into both the Xbox & Phone divisions. However, I've read this is most likely temporary until they can decide how to reorganize them. Would be interesting to see how they handle that.

Tommy McClain

I thought Robbie Bach was basically "the man" at EDD. If he's gone, then it's a serious shakeup. Ballmer must be pissed.

After reading the Techflash interview, it seems like Robbie's departure is amiacable. J Allard's though . . . I'm not so sure.

MS need to get rid of ballmer, OK MS have never really been known for their innovation but they seem to have gotten worse since he was in charge
I just had a look he became CEO jan 2000, the highest share price was in? guess what. jan2000 its gone downhill and pretty much stagnated since then.
Time for some fresh blood? I dont see it happening though

To run the XBOX business into the ground ?

Cheers

Didn't MS lose billions of dollars on the original Xbox? They didn't need KK to do that did they? Only reason why they're still here is because they have unending supply of money to dump on their projects.

Didn't MS lose billions of dollars on the original Xbox? They didn't need KK to do that did they? Only reason why they're still here is because they have unending supply of money to dump on their projects.

They invested 8 billion to penetrate the console market and get a small foothold. At least that's the story that's the story i heard. With the 360 they did lost 1 billion with Rrod and E74 production faults guarantee.

Dont think every division at microsoft can access the money pool.:LOL:

Back