J Allard talks more on Xbox 2 hardware (still vauge)

wco81 said:
one from 25 engineers to 160 in 4 years.

So smaller developers are more likely to depend on Criterion, since it's multiplatform, than something like XNA? BTW, some "bigger" developers use Renderware for their games too. Even GTA3 is Renderware, as are several of the Tony Hawk games in this generation.

Renderware is used by many more dev, including Namco and Konami.

unless Xbox 2 has hundreds of CPUs in it, which of course it won't, only 1 die, with 3 or more cores, I would be severely disappointed if Microsoft dropped the audio/communications processor. part of the reason for having the MCPX in Xbox is to free up the CPUs. that was a good thing.
(if only they could've made the memory segmented).... My feeling on seperate audio chip won't change with Xbox 2. just because it'll have more than 1 CPU core doesnt mean they should be burdened with audio processing. well okay, I suppose it won't really matter since audio processing is nowhere near as intensive as graphics processing.

as for Xbox 2 custom silicon, I very much hope Microsoft's graphics IP / resources / acquisitions are being put to use this time. they'll need every bit of inovation and hardwired features to overcome the near-certain processing performance gap between Xbox 2 and PS3.

okay, I better not say too much more on things I really have little undestanding of :oops:

maybe I'm sidetracked and missed the point in the article, but I thought the whole point of XNA was basically that the devs wouldn't be coding on the processors directly, but entirely on the middleware. That would mean that all processors would vanish as a piece of hardware, as XNA would take care of all that. I still expect that there is dedicated hardware, just that devs won't actually "see" it.

No amount of middleware will hide the hardware that well in a console (at least until were working on virtualised machines). Making things run well on multi-processor (with some asymmetries like a graphics or sound processor) transparently is just about impossible (at least while we are programming in C).

Of course their is some dedicated hardware just not a lot...

From Italy to LA is a pretty long trip to make.

But I think there might also have been some Eastern European representation as well, if I recall the article.

bleon said:
Its always interesting when technologies like procedural synthesis or nurbs are mentioned but what is the % of games that use this tech?

It's really hard to produce procedurally generated content that looks good enough and can hide it's mathematical origins. Simple fractal noise textures repeat far too much, you have to layer and layer and layer them, which results in horribly complex shaders.
Pixar went very procedural on the enviroment in Bug's life, and while it looked good, it had some 2MBs of shader code IIRC. There's no way even a next-gen console could handle such complexity... And I think even Pixar has abandoned this approach as well, or at least started to mix in manually built content. They also have a very stylized look in their movies, which helps them somewhat.

DeanoC said:
No amount of middleware will hide the hardware that well in a console (at least until were working on virtualised machines). Making things run well on multi-processor (with some asymmetries like a graphics or sound processor) transparently is just about impossible (at least while we are programming in C).

Of course their is some dedicated hardware just not a lot...

Deano, please correct me if I'm wrong; would it be wrong to compare the approach of XNA with JDK?

I would have assumed sound processing and it's usage would lend itself to a more fixed functional or DSP type device than siphoning away main resources on it and increasing complexity. *shrug* I'd hope Sony and Nintendo don't do this.

Phil said:
Deano, please correct me if I'm wrong; would it be wrong to compare the approach of XNA with JDK?

To be honest, nobody outside MS know that much about it but we have been told that its basically a bunch of C# windows tools to ease development and some C++ modules that run on the target platform. The C++ modules are multi-threaded to get the best out of multi-core PC and Xenon CPU.

It seems to me that its 'just' normal middleware rather than a JDK style enviroment. Either way its a good thing that should help make better games :)

One thing that has been quoted wrong by lots of sites is the 80% figure, MS meant they hope 80% of the boiler plate code (low-level engine stuff) could be replaced via XNA not as many sites (included this one) 80% of all code. I suspect the 80% is a bit optimisitic as well....

Vince said:
I would have assumed sound processing and it's usage would lend itself to a more fixed functional or DSP type device than siphoning away main resources on it and increasing complexity. *shrug* I'd hope Sony and Nintendo don't do this.

Increasingly sound operation are moving from simple operation to much more complex work. A good example is the DTS code on PS2, the PS2 was never designed to do real-time multi-channel digital sound output but by using a 'general' CPU it got that capability half-way through its life.

CPU's can be made very DSP like, by adding those capability to the CPU you can share the gates between 3D graphics and 3D sound.

If Sony with Cell has a fixed function DSP (apart from backwards capability), then they have clearly gone mad. If there is one thing an APU should do really well its as a really good programmable audio chip.

"Art is the highest cost component of game development, and so much of the art is really repetitive and really intensive, and then doesn't come out to be very realistic. You know, bricks in a wall - very repeated textures."

No one else thinks that the removal of the "art asset" is a mistake? Wasn't there a thread denouncing it once the initial Xenon specs. were revealed? Or after this aspect was known to be in absentia? This appears to me to be opening the floodgates to similar or identical looking aspects of shovelware. IIRC, doesn't the GC excel at producing repeated textures moreso than any other system? Allard seems to be masking it with a simplistic brick wall analogy, but the art aspect is much more comprehensive than what he leads you to believe. And without memory segmentation, or a minimal dedicated audio amount, the tradeoffs will be moreso than even in the current X-Box model.

And correct me if I'm wrong, the only way the PS2 can acheive 5.1 is due to the shared usage of the DVD component that supports it. Whereas standalone it could not. Just as the GC wasn't built to support DPLII & DPLIIx, but extensions made to the Musy-X toolkit by Factor 5 allowed for this, not exploitation of the general CPU's power.

And correct me if I'm wrong, the only way the PS2 can acheive 5.1 is due to the shared usage of the DVD component that supports it.
There's not 5.1 supporting DVD component.
When playing recorded audio, 5.1 is simply passed through to the receiver, PS2 doesn't actually do anything with it.
When used in-game, 5.1 DTS is encoded on the EE, then passed on to the receiver.

Li Mu Bai said:
And correct me if I'm wrong, the only way the PS2 can acheive 5.1 is due to the shared usage of the DVD component that supports it.
Well ...

Sony's Tools & Middleware News Letter said:
Digital Theater Systems Inc.

Digital Theater Systems Inc.'s audio tool was used by game developer Black Ops Entertainment to provide an interactive audio experience for players of Street Hoops for PlayStation®2. The title was released in September 2002 by publisher Activision.

Jose Villeta, Vice President of Research and Development at Black Ops, was very satisfied with his first experience using DTS Interactive technology, saying, "DTS is the audio tool that provides a Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. compatible library for real-time discrete 5.1 surround sound encoding."

PlayStation®2 audio options include mono, stereo, Dolby Digital or ProLogic II, and DTS.

DTS Interactive, according to Villeta, requires only a small memory footprint for its libraries and audio buffers. Developers should expect between 2-6% CPU usage, varying with the quality of sound, game frame rate, and which version of DTS Interactive (4.0 or 5.1) was used.

The main RAM requires double buffers for audio PCM data transfer from IOP to main RAM, and an additional 50K main RAM is required for DTS Lib functions. "Threading issues are very important," said Villeta, "The corruption of VU0 as the DTS callback gets executed forces the application to save and restore all VU0 registers to avoid VU0 corruption. The DTS encoder thread should not be interrupted so it should have the highest VU0 priority."

The DTS Interactive callback routine encodes 4 channels of PCM data into a single buffer using VU0 at 512 samples at a time, sending the output to the SPU2 digital SP/DIF.

DTS Interactive has the added ability to play pre-encoded digital movies from DVD, which will be featured on upcoming titles. In addition to Street Hoops, Black Ops implemented DTS' technology in two as-yet-unreleased PlayStation®2 titles, T3: Rise of the Machines and XFILES: Resist or Serve.

At GDC 2003, DTS announced that PlayStation®2 developers certified prior to GDC 2004 will be able to use DTS Interactive free of charge.

Fafalada said:
When used in-game, 5.1 DTS is encoded on the EE, then passed on to the receiver.

Could the SPU do DPLII(x), you think? SNES sound DSP could do DPL after all, and it is less advanced than the SPU...

DeanoC said:
Vince said:
If Sony with Cell has a fixed function DSP (apart from backwards capability), then they have clearly gone mad. If there is one thing an APU should do really well its as a really good programmable audio chip.

I seem to remember Vince as being the guys that argues fixed function is baaaaaaad! LOL!

I didn't read this thread too closely.
I saw some mentioning of XNA though, so maybe I can help.

The system that J. Allard had at E3 running the "Car Crash Demo" & is also being used by XNA Developers, Is an Apple G5 dual-processor PC with an ATI R420 graphics card.

MS XNA is using a recompiled Windows NT kernal.

These PPC 970, ATI R420 workstations are The Standard for XNA Development.

whql said:
I seem to remember Vince as being the guys that argues fixed function is baaaaaaad! LOL!

Um What I actually said is that fixed functionality is bad when applied to tasks whose resource bound is arbitrarily high or increases arbitrarily based on the given situation - which is why many parts of the rasterization pipeline that are dependant upon static bounds (say output pixels on a screen) should be fixed and see speed-ups.

Now, if you want to make an argument saying sound complexity can scale at a rate which is analogous to graphic computation, then that would be a valid argument. I'd still contend that it's basically fixed and would be better handeled by an independant and more fixed functional IC which doesn't use central resources due to the lesser perceived importance of sound and the limited output formats that exist.

But what you wrote above is absolutely horrid.

Guden, DPL2 is pretty much free on PS2.

Vince said:
I'd still contend that it's basically fixed and would be better handeled by an independant and more fixed functional IC which doesn't use central resources due to the lesser perceived importance of sound and the limited output formats that exist.
Vince, I'd vager that XB2 won't be much different from XB1 in this respect - you'll have fixed hw to serve stuff like your encoding/decoding etc. needs, and a programmable part.
Serving the latter off a CPU on steroids just makes sense - what's the point of adding yet Another programmable processor there?

Besides - Sony already did exactly this with PS2, there is NO programmable DSP hardware whatsoever, what you want to do custom you do with the two CPUs(unless you are happy with the awesome array of the one hardwired effect in SPU2, whoopee we have reverb -_-) And as evidenced by DTS library, you need more then your R3000 for certain things.

I completely agree with Deano, having in order of TFlop general purpose power, another programmable chip just for sound is borderline insane (not to mention putting a hard limit to your system sound without any good reason).
And what happened to being happy about sticking to one ISA across the board? :p

Back