Who's Blocking the Xbox? Sony and Its Games

Nintendo is second if you include Japan, but why would EA or any game company outside of japan mention the sales in that region, when it's almost impossible to sell software that isn't made in that region?

In other words, why cheer for sucess in a market segment you can't sell to? Can anyone explain this to me? becuase I certianly can't see any logical reason why EA or other would do that.

If that's the attitude than it would be very hard to crack Japanese market.

It doesn't spell it out, but people with an IQ above 50 should be able to figure it out:

It doesn't spell it out or say it at all. It says XBox is struggling then shows PS2 numbers, which gives the impression that its only struggling against PS2. I don't see how anyone who doesn't know sales numbers would have any idea if GC is ahead at all never mind sold almost 10 times more units then XBox. Do I care about that? Nope, I never said I did and I didn't give any indication that I did either. But that doesn't change the fact that their use of sales numbers is inconsistent, that's all I said and its true, so what are you complaining about?

The article is about the Xbox, in particular how it's competing with Sony

If its only focused on XBox and PS2 then why does it mention XBox and GC numbers for the U.S then? Once again I said its use of sales numbers was inconsistent. Can you actually argue with that? If not then why are you arguing?

The article is from the NYT...it's talking about the Xbox's fight with the PS2 instead of the Gamecube's. That should be the basis of your complaint. They ignored specific GCN figures for the most part because they're not relevant to the article. "pointing out" that they're missing it comes off as whiney to me.

Oh so showing U.S GC, PS2 and XBox numbers is relivant to the article but showing Japanese GC numbers, along with the Japanese XBox and PS2 numbers they showed, isn't relivant?

And I'm a tad bit sick of it.

Then why do it yourself? Your the whining champ in this thread :)

Quincy

Nah it takes more then one sentence consisting of only 5 unique words to participate in a dicsussion.

I really must have pissed you off in that last thread. Because your quite obviously sulking about it in this thread. Never mind snucums, you just lose that pet lip and dry those tears. I'm sure you'll feel better after you and your boyfriend have had some icecream and braided each others hair :LOL::LOL:

Teasy said:
It doesn't spell it out or say it at all.
Err...okay, Teasy, but I think you're insane.
It mentions the Xbox is doing very poorly in Japan, and mentions the reason why they're doing poorly is because Sony and Nintendo are "entrenched". I don't know about what "entrenched" means in the UK, but here across the pond it implies they're in a solid position...

If its only focused on XBox and PS2 then why does it mention XBox and GC numbers for the U.S then?
It's quite simple. Focused doesn't mean "only about". And to the New York Times' readers, the US numbers matter, while Japanese numbers are somewhat unimportant...

Oh so showing U.S GC, PS2 and XBox numbers is relivant to the article but showing Japanese GC numbers, along with the Japanese XBox and PS2 numbers they showed, isn't relivant?
Is the New York times a US publication or a Japanese publication? I'm so confused. ;)

The article is mainly about Xbox vs PS2, or MS vs Sony. It mentions specifically the current state of the entire console market in North America because, well, the NYT is a North American publication! They only mentioned the PS2 and Xbox numbers for Japan because the specific numbers for the GCN don't mean anything -- it mentions that it's "entrenched" which is all they need to say.

You're really starting to remind me of the kids on the IGN boards, which are actually whining about the Japanese GCN numbers missing, because it's the only region in the world where the GCN is outselling the Xbox. They look high and low for any positive, concrete sign of the GCN's success, and whine when the NYT thinks it's unimportant to their article.

Whine is absolutely the correct word. And yes, I'm whining now, but I've got a reason for it! It's like kindergarten. :(

I was going to reply to your whole post point by point, until I realised how utterly pointless it was given the irrelivance of it. I'll say this once again just to counteract your reading difficulties. I said that the articles use of sales numbers was inconistent. Showing PS2, Xbox and GC numbers when talking about the U.S and then only mentioning PS2 and XBox when talking about Japan is an inconsistent use of sales numbers is it not? You yourself already mentioned how in love with XBox the NYT is so I don't see why you have to defend them so feverishly here. Or maybe I just answered my own question there :)

You're really starting to remind me of the kids on the IGN boards, which are actually whining about the Japanese GCN numbers missing, because it's the only region in the world where the GCN is outselling the Xbox.

Your the initiator of this discussion, whining and complaining about my original comment in this thread. You've obviously got your knickers in a twist because you think I might be defending GC or Nintendo. Probably a sin in your little Xbox religion.

BTW where are your numbers to show that XBox is ahead of GC anywhere but in the U.S? fantasizing again Glonk? ;)

Whine is absolutely the correct word. And yes, I'm whining now, but I've got a reason for it! It's like kindergarten.

Well I'm glad you at least admit that your a whiner. What reason do you have to whine? Because you feel all hot and bothered because you think I'm defending GC?.. grow up.

I'm just a tad pissed off about all the N-philes which whine about everything in the world and how nothing works out for them.

Like, for example, the absense of Japanese GCN numbers in the article.

I'm hoping one day you'll stop so we won't need to have these kinds of discussion. No one cares, Teasy. :eek:

I think your imagining that. I don't see Nintendo fans whining about things anymore then fans of any other console do.

BTW since we're saying what we're sick of. I'm sick of XBox fan-boys who get worked up into a frenzy when they think someone is defending GC.

Oh and we didn't need to have this conversation, it was entirely pointless. Thanks for that :rolleyes:

Agreed glonk. This is getting very annoying.

I'm sick of XBox fan-boys who get worked up into a frenzy when they think someone is defending GC.

Perhaps that's because you ALWAYS defend the cube, it's all you do pretty much, even when it's not getting attacked by someone. Jeez, you come into a thread with a article about the "Xbox" complaning how it doesn't have cube numbers, and you're wondering why we're complianing? That's a very typical definition of a blind fan when you can't see why no cares for your crying.

I can only assume you see it as complaining because your one of the people I was talking about in my comment you quoted. I made a light hearted comment about it, that's it. Yet you see that as some sort of complaint that offends your dislike of Nintendo.

BTW Quincy while where judgeing people when was the last time you posted a thread that wasn't either negative on GC/Nintendo or positive for XBox/MS? I can't remember that happeneing. Perhaps thats why your not a mod anymore :?:

As for "crying", read my original post. That's crying to you? If you think so then your judgement is most deffinately impaired.

Quincy: Actually, I'm not defending Teasy on whatever he's doing.. but it is sort of sad how certain media outlets ignore the GameCube entirely in their articles sometimes. I don't care if Nintendo says "we're not in competition, we're in a league of our own".. they are in direct competition with Sony and MS.. and I'm tired of idiotic newpapers and other publications that ignore 'em!

Gawd, they did the same thing with the Dreamcast. About 5 months ago, I read this huge read-up on PS2, EverQuest Adventures, and online console gaming in th' Boston Globe. Guess what? They totally ignored Sega and everything they did for the online console gaming "revolution". No mention of the Dreamcast, and they dared to called EQ:A th' first online console RPG.

*knock knock* Who's there? PSO, released January 2001.. two years before EQ:A for th' PS2. Never heard of it!

In a more recent article (around 1-2 weeks ago) the Globe managed to totally forget that the GameCube exists when they wrote up an article on Shiny's next-gen Matrix game that's hitting this Spring. They then proceeded to mention a bunch of other movie tie-in games (this is th' newpaper's forte, apparently.. movie-like games and movie tie-in games.. oh, and contraversial games like GTAx) and once again forget to mention that Nintendo released a console in 2001 and it's getting said games. More naive reporters..

Seriously, man.. it's a 3-way console war and I'm sick of the ignorance.

Though afaik you are correct that PSO was the first online console RPG, EQOA is massively multiplayer, which is a far cry from PSO.

Ty: PSO is more similar to Diablo, from what I can see. I know it isn't an MMORPG per se..

They didn't quite use that term, however. :)

Quincy: Actually, I'm not defending Teasy on whatever he's doing..

What I'm doing? What exactly am I doing Blade? Except for making one comment (that basically comes down to the same sort of thing you just posted about) and being attacked by a mob of fan-boys because of it.

Teasy: Heh, actually I wasn't paying much attention to your dilemma. I just saw the thread topic and figured that I'd try to get a neutral word in. As far as you go, though.. it seems that Quincy jumped the gun a bit.. albeit I don't entirely blame him.

Teasy said:
What I'm doing? What exactly am I doing Blade? Except for making one comment (that basically comes down to the same sort of thing you just posted about) and being attacked by a mob of fan-boys because of it.
We're the fanboys asking why they didn't give detailed GCN numbers in an article about PS2 and Xbox. :LOL:

We're the fanboys asking why they didn't give detailed GCN numbers in an article about PS2 and Xbox.

Absolutely yeah, and it shows ;) Especially since your still embellishing (or still not understanding) what I actually said. Despite me repeating it many times for your benefit.

I didn't ask anything. I merely said that the sales numbers they showed in the article were inconsistent. Frankly I don't care about that really. That was shown in my original comment which was clearly quite casual and light hearted. However wether its important or whether I care about it or not doesn't change the fact that it was inconsistent.

On a side not. What I found most strange, as I mentioned earlier, were the Japanese PS2 sales numbers, which were far to low. Just over 3 million sold in Japan for PS2?, I don't think so. Or am I missing something there?

Teasy said:
Quincy
I really must have pissed you off in that last thread. Because your quite obviously sulking about it in this thread. Never mind snucums, you just lose that pet lip and dry those tears. I'm sure you'll feel better after you and your boyfriend have had some icecream and braided each others hair :LOL::LOL:

That's about enough. Grow up. Any more personal attacks and you can leave.

That's about enough. Grow up. Any more personal attacks and you can leave.

For a start it was a joke, hence the smillies, did you happen to miss them per chance? Secondly if it hadn't been a joke it would hardly be the first personal attack in this thread. Very selective in what 'personal attacks' you see aren't you?

BTW, just being picky here, but isn't "grow up" a personal attack? Tut tut *waves finger*:LOL:

As for your last comment, me having to leave. Last time I checked you have no more authority here then I do. So lets just get real ok.

Honestly, what is this, make whatever I say into a mountain day or something? I make one small comment and its jumped upon and beaten to death with a baseball bat for over half a thread. I make a joke and its apparently a crime punishable by death :) Are some people here just bored or something? Whatever, just cease this incesent overeacting.

Back