The startup that saved ATI

zurich said:
However, ATI scores 10s on their campaign to regain mindshare. The best thing they could possibly do is get the XB2 contract from MS. NVIDIA's already gained boatloads of support from leveraging their NV2A in the XB onto PC devs for ports of XB games and such. Two ATI baesd consoles and an ATI-influenced PC market is definitely their CEO's wet dream.

But, wouldn´t that represent conflicting interests? I mean, supplying hardware for two direct competitors, is it even possible? Wouldn´t that leave ATI without a team to concentrate on the PC market (IIRC there´s only two main teams of engineers in it)?

Almasy said:
zurich said:
However, ATI scores 10s on their campaign to regain mindshare. The best thing they could possibly do is get the XB2 contract from MS. NVIDIA's already gained boatloads of support from leveraging their NV2A in the XB onto PC devs for ports of XB games and such. Two ATI baesd consoles and an ATI-influenced PC market is definitely their CEO's wet dream.

But, wouldn´t that represent conflicting interests? I mean, supplying hardware for two direct competitors, is it even possible? Wouldn´t that leave ATI without a team to concentrate on the PC market (IIRC there´s only two main teams of engineers in it)?

Its unlikely that it may happen, but by saying they'll do it, ATI wins mindshare... basically they're fighting strategy is to convince the masses that "NVIDIA hath missed their product cycle - The King is Dead - Long Live the (new) King" [ie: comparing them to S3, 3Dfx, Rendition, etc etc etc]. And it's working.

zurich said:
Its unlikely that it may happen, but by saying they'll do it, ATI wins mindshare... basically they're fighting strategy is to convince the masses that "NVIDIA hath missed their product cycle - The King is Dead - Long Live the (new) King" [ie: comparing them to S3, 3Dfx, Rendition, etc etc etc]. And it's working.

Ah, now I get it, thanks. Going from that, I´d say it´s certainly working (afterall, how good is a superior product if you don´t take the first chance you get to brag about it, right? ;) ).

Almasy said:
zurich said:

Ah, now I get it, thanks. Going from that, I´d say it´s certainly working (afterall, how good is a superior product if you don´t take the first chance you get to brag about it, right? ;) ).

Especially since NVIDIA didn't let ANYONE forget that the Voodoo5 was the GeForce 1's competitor, not the GeForce 2's :) Ooops! Getting a taste of their own medicine...

zurich said:
Especially since NVIDIA didn't let ANYONE forget that the Voodoo5 was the GeForce 1's competitor, not the GeForce 2's :) Ooops! Getting a taste of their own medicine...

Do you think they will continue to hold the "graphics crown" for much longer? My brother is a big ATI and AMD fan and certainly thinks so.

Almasy said:
zurich said:

Do you think they will continue to hold the "graphics crown" for much longer? My brother is a big ATI and AMD fan and certainly thinks so.

How should I know? :p ATI has a history of trash, NVIDIA has a history of success, and they both recently swallowed up some talent, so its anyones guess. Despite a buddy of mine working in Marketing over at ATI, I'm a self labeled NVIDIA fanboi :p

Ati will hold the crown till the nv40 and r400 . when they come out its anyones guess. Who ever said ati has put out a history of crap is dead wrong. Since the radeon they have put out great cards. While not allways performing as fast as the nvidia rival chips they were close to them and provided better image quality. Yes ati doesn't shine in the graphics market but that doesn't mean they wont eventually shine in the sector. Look at amd. They got a hit with the athlon. Now they have a hit in the server market. It will happen with ati some day.

Don't know if this is a little off topic, but I was going through an old Wired issue, the one with Nvidia's CEO in the cover: Nvidia, the next Intel (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.07/Nvidia.html). It is not even a year old, but after reading some parts of it..

[...]The process begins with hundreds of designers developing millions of lines of code for a new chip. When that's done, the bugs are worked out on a couple of $4.5 million Ikos emulator stations, which simulate the semiconductor in software form. Then the design is sent off to Taiwan Semiconductor (see "This Fab for Hire," page 105). When the chip comes back, the testing starts. During a tour of the Nvidia campus a few weeks before the GeForce4 launch, the GPUs were getting a workout in temperatures ranging from 32 to 140 degrees. What's even trickier than making the deadlines is ensuring you don't hit them too early. Nvidia's architects squeeze every last day out of a production cycle to deliver the most powerful chip possible. "If you show up the day before the deadline and your competitor shows up a month before, you have a 10 percent wind at your back," Kirk says. He knows where his team needs to be on any product, within a day or two, 18 months in advance. "We have superior architecture because we work hard. But that's not enough. We have to show up at the right time."[...]

Did he know at that time that his company was going to be in big trouble now? If you read the whole article, you'll see how often they are doing exactly what they said it shouldn't be done.

Actually I believe the Verite had (hardware assisted) edge aliasing. Nevermind the fact that AA had been invented years prior but not in the consumer space.

I'm pretty sure CaptainHowdy was talking about the first company to bring FSAA to the consumer space.

Nvidia has a history of trash too, they just did it right one day with the Geforce and got sudden success...if that can happen to them, why cant it happen to anyone?

Teasy said:
I'm pretty sure CaptainHowdy was talking about the first company to bring FSAA to the consumer space.

I agree with you here (though minor quibble, he said AA, not FSAA) which is why I mentioned the Verite (unless AA could be done or uncovered by the PCX1 drivers??).

GeforceFX is NVIDIA history isn't ?

GeForceFX is NVIDIA and 3Dfx.

Nvidia has a history of trash too, they just did it right one day with the Geforce and got sudden success...if that can happen to them, why cant it happen to anyone?

Only 'trash' NVIDIA put out was the NV1, and arguably the Riva 128 (though it was a huge OEM success). Every product since has shined performance wise, feature wise, mindshare wise, and economically.

Back