J Allard talks more on Xbox 2 hardware (still vauge)

Faf,

Thanks for the SPU explanation. :)

Anyway, what about having a small Cell dedicated for sound and I/O, say 1 PU/4APUs running at 500-ish MHz or so with DMA access to main RAM and maybe a bit of eDRAM on-die as buffers. That which you could not do with THAT setup with regards to sound does not exist! ;)

I'd still contend that it's basically fixed and would be better handeled by an independant and more fixed functional IC which doesn't use central resources due to the lesser perceived importance of sound and the limited output formats that exist.

l agree here wholeheartedly, & thanks for clarifying me on how the 5.1 sound is accomplished on the PS2.

Fafalada said:
I completely agree with Deano, having in order of TFlop general purpose power, another programmable chip just for sound is borderline insane (not to mention putting a hard limit to your system sound without any good reason).

Well, as for PS3, I was still considering that we may see PS2 compatability by way of hardware as we saw this generation. In which case, it could suffice. And there's something about running audio calculations on an attached processor that could be on the order of 32GFLOPs that's just wrong. Granted it doesn't have to be exclusively Audio processing, but... :)

David_South#1 said:
I didn't read this thread too closely.
I saw some mentioning of XNA though, so maybe I can help.

The system that J. Allard had at E3 running the "Car Crash Demo" & is also being used by XNA Developers, Is an Apple G5 dual-processor PC with an ATI R420 graphics card.

Nope, The XNA demo's (at least at GDC) were standard Wintel PC.

David_South#1 said:
MS XNA is using a recompiled Windows NT kernal.

These PPC 970, ATI R420 workstations are The Standard for XNA Development.

Your really confused about XNA and other rumours about MS products.

XNA is simple the name of a pumped up DirectX, its works on standard PC's.

Well, that would certainly explain the lack of replies. :)
I’ll try to be more respectable by adding links to support my broad stroke views.

I’d like to also resume PS3 talks. But outside of PJB & nAo few people are really trying to listen and discuss outsider ideas. We should all be open to ideas that are unlike our own. (nAo, this includes me. ;) )

DeanoC said:
David_South#1 said:
I didn't read this thread too closely.
I saw some mentioning of XNA though, so maybe I can help.

The system that J. Allard had at E3 running the "Car Crash Demo" & is also being used by XNA Developers, Is an Apple G5 dual-processor PC with an ATI R420 graphics card.

Nope, The XNA demo's (at least at GDC) were standard Wintel PC.

That’s interesting. I don’t doubt it was MS Windows, but are you sure it was “Intel�
Do you have a reference for the actual hardware they were using? :)

1. The only official information I saw was from D. Lester & J. Allard.
Dean Lester said it was a Windows XP PC. XP is built on the Windows NT kernel.
J. Allard stated that the graphics card was one that wasn’t publicly available yet.
It was also a reasonable suspicion that the card was an ATI R420.
2. An MS employee got fired for photographing pallets of Apple G5s being received.
3. The very next month news of an MS + IBM PowerPC Xbox2 contract emerged.
4. This past February news/rumor of the Xbox2 developer SDK appeared.

1. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=103201
2. http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclecticism/2003/10/even_microsoft_.html
3. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1371393,00.asp
"based on the latest in IBM's family of state-of-the-art processors."
4. http://www.theinquirer.net/Default.aspx?article=14407

DeanoC said:
David_South#1 said:
MS XNA is using a recompiled Windows NT kernal.

These PPC 970, ATI R420 workstations are The Standard for XNA Development.

Your really confused about XNA and other rumors about MS products.
XNA is simply the name of a pumped up DirectX, its works on standard PC's.

You are correct.
I so tightly associate XNA activities with the future of Xbox that I combine their intents.
This quoted statement is very much my error because of that existing mindset.

But my I add that you are also wrong about what XNA is or does encompass to do.
XNA brings together Xbox and PC software, services, and technology (hardware).*
And are also responsible for hardware design criteria and/or compatibility selection.
Example: XNA creating the Xbox 2 / PC controller (& console spec) ETA 2Q 2005.

Let’s go to the source.
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- March 24, 2004 -- Microsoft Corp. today announced XNA (TM) , a powerful next-generation software development platform. XNA empowers developers to deliver breakthrough games while combating rising production costs and ever-increasing hardware complexity. Games for future iterations of all Microsoft® game platforms -- including Windows®, Xbox® and Windows Mobile (TM) -based devices -- will be unleashed by tools and technologies from the XNA development platform.Games for future iterations of all Microsoft® game platforms -- including Windows®, Xbox® and Windows Mobile (TM) -based devices -- will be unleashed by tools and technologies from the XNA development platform.

Bill Gates "XNA underscores Microsoft's commitment to the game industry and our desire to work with partners to take the industry to the next level."

XNA initiative will be unveiled…by Microsoft's Robbie Bach, senior vice president of the Home and Entertainment Division, and J Allard, corporate vice president, In charge of the Xbox platform, and chief XNA architect …
…responsible for overseeing and driving the XNA initiative companywide.

More than 20 game development and middleware companies already have recognized that XNA will drive advancements in the industry.***

The XNA development platform will serve as the foundation for future game platforms from Microsoft, including Windows, Xbox and Windows Mobile-based devices. Video games on future iterations of Microsoft game platforms will be powered by tools and technologies from the XNA ecosystem.

"We're excited to have been involved with XNA since its conception.
We design hardware for developers…†Andy Thompson, ATI

"The best thing a console provider can provide is a complete, robust environment where all the redundant generic stuff is taken care of.†David Wu, Pseudo Interactive Inc.

* http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/mar04/03-24XNALaunchPR.asp

XNA serves to create a Microsoft-built multi-platform,
But in the pyramid of things, XNA falls under Xbox guidence.
This includes XNA’s intellectual properties & technological specifications.

XNA is software platform. But software is made for hardware and the hardware systems it says it will serve do not yet exist. So a lot of what they are doing and saying fore shadows hardware systems yet to come. Chicken and the Egg.

You said “XNA is simply the name of a pumped up DirectX.â€

The exact same can officially be said for Xbox itself. = DirectX in a box.**

** http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=103229
Allard: Next time we do hardware with Xbox, it's going to be the best hardware components that we can put together, that powers XNA.

*** Coincidentally there were 24 G5s within the photo of MS receiving Apple PCs.
This circumstantial, but it makes as a fun note, and is how I construed my XNA workstation post.

IBM & MS Search: http://www.google.com/search?num=10...8&newwindow=1&q=IBM+Microsoft+PowerPC

Guden said:
Anyway, what about having a small Cell dedicated for sound and I/O, say 1 PU/4APUs running at 500-ish MHz or so with DMA access to main RAM and maybe a bit of eDRAM on-die as buffers.
As a dedicated solution that sounds great yeah, though probably something of an overkill :p

Vince said:
Well, as for PS3, I was still considering that we may see PS2 compatability by way of hardware as we saw this generation. In which case, it could suffice.
Suffice - perhaps, but damn, using EEGS as a sound processor sounds like a horrible prospect compared to a PE/APU instead. I would also argue it's probably rather underclocked at 300mhz for all your nextgeneration sound needs.

And there's something about running audio calculations on an attached processor that could be on the order of 32GFLOPs that's just wrong. Granted it doesn't have to be exclusively Audio processing, but...
Well on XB2 you'd use a full blown 28GFlops CPU for the same purpose... :p

Fafalada,

I don't recall where I can by this idea.
I've generally thought it was a patent but can't find a relivent source.

But the emulation of a PS2 on a PS3 is facilitated by an embedded program (does the word kernal apply?).
It is run by one PU, APU, and the three Visualizing cores.

EDIT: Update: 2004 05 25 1800 EST
I've really tried looking hard to help you.

In the process, there may be an answer.
Since it was so long ago when we first started reading Cell patents it may have been a patent explaining PS2 and how it ran PS1 data? This is only a possibility. At this time I still believe it was a cell related patent that I was reading.

David_South#1 said:
1. The only official information I saw was from D. Lester & J. Allard.
Dean Lester said it was a Windows XP PC. XP is built on the Windows NT kernel.
One big clue is to know how MS talk about things. XP != NT, when MS say XP they mean XP, when they say NT they mean kernel. Now XP also use the NT kernel, but for example you won't ever see MS claiming XBox uses XP but its does use NT.

David_South#1 said:
J. Allard stated that the graphics card was one that wasn’t publicly available yet.
It was also a reasonable suspicion that the card was an ATI R420.

R420 primarily development platform is PC, so the first place you would see a working part is a PC (think about drivers etc).

Thank you for clarifying OS related comments and Microsoft’s position.
But some of the posts meaning is lost on me.

1. Because the news brief only knew that the kernel was NT based,
does this mean to you that the demo station was not G5 based hardware?

It was not MS that released the information about Xbox 2 SDK.
(This also applies to PowerPC for Xbox. Neither one had a press release.)
It is likely that the source was someone with association to a SDK developer.
So where they said NT based or XP based doesn’t clarify the nature of the Demo.
2. Wouldn't you agree?

Because this "Xbox 2 Software Development Kit" is G5 based,
& XNA is all software development related to MS Gaming,
wouldn’t it be acceptable to attribute MS Gaming SDK as XNA.
3. Do you think this wrong?

R420 primarily development platform is PC, so the first place you would see a working part is a PC (think about drivers etc).

Ok? So what is your point? The primarily development platform for gaming is PC,
so the first place you would see a working console software is on a PC.
4. Does this in someway prove that an XNA is not Xbox related? Or do you mean that because R420 is a PC card you can’t use it for console programming?

Did you notice that at the end of the XNA car crash demo the cars license plate reads “PSWHOâ€. It’s very clear that XNA is the software developer for Xbox. So Xbox software and SDK Hardware would be under the guidance or creation of XNA.

I believe that the XNA demo ran on (Apple) G5 hardware with an R420 like card.
And that this hardware is XNA’s standard for Xbox Development.

At this time all the information available supports this assumption.
If there is anyone who believes otherwise I would appreciate the enlightenment.

i.e. proof that I the XNA demo at E3 was an Intel processor PC and not as I’ve said.

I can't see any possible reason why the XNA demo - which amounted to a DirectX 9 graphics demo with some physics (possibly done using the Havok engine) - should have been running on an Xbox 2 alpha dev kit rather than a fully functioning Windows PC.

Here's a quote from an article I Googled up. It's taken from a post GDC (where the XNA demos were first revealed) interview, where games mag C+VG are speaking to J. Allard and Dean Lester:

So what's in that box [running the XNA demos] bears no relation to next-generation Xbox specs?

Dean: It's a Windows XP PC with some nice ATI hardware.

Allard: A cool piece of ATI hardware... That's not out yet... [grins]

Here's the linky: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=103201

DeanoC is dead on the money.

David_South#1:
I've come to a different conclusion. But I can't say why...

Function:
Pseudo Interactive who did the car demo, are founded by David Wu, famous for his amazing physics stuff. So I'd imagine its not Havok but an in-house one (probably an enhanced version of the physics engine used in Cel Damage).

Function,

Points you may want to double check:

1 They didn’t deny the connection. (Pause here and re-read it for yourself.)

2 The XNA hardware description fits the Xbox 2 SDK news reported 3 months earlier.

3 For a DirectX 9 demo those graphics sucked! The point was physics i.e. CPU performance*.
A If it were just a DirectX 9 demo then why were Benchmarks or GPU ?
B Most graphics fans have seen DX9 & even DX8 demos that are way more impressive. :D

Do you know what X.N.A. stands for?
The X in XNA really represents a cross-section of our best ideas and our best talent in the industry. It also represents that we started with DirectX and we started with Xbox and we're bringing them all together in a framework with our partners to deliver a more potent solution. The N represents next generation and A, of course, is for architecture.

http://www.microsoft.com/xna/gdc_keynote.aspx

BTW-Seven posts up I included interviews 1&2, what was said, and what you quoted.
‘smile’ Which currency do you trade in?

*I believe this was MS’s way of saying Cell PS3s won’t bury us on CPU performance.

I really don't know why you guys are arguing about this.

The demo Psuedo made was running on a dual G5 Mac running a special version of windows and an ATI 420 video card.

1. The phsysics engine is Psuedo's own engine. It's not Havok or Math engine.

2. MS never said Intel had anything to do with the hardware, otherwise Intel would insist on them telling the public thier name.

3. ATi makes cards for the mac as well, so drivers is not an issue The drivers being used on Mac right now are more than likely created to be ported in the first place.

4. ...

Why couldn't the demo be performed on a standard windows PC? DO you have any idea how difficult and CPU intensive pshsics like that is? Most people don't know that having stackable objects in a game is quite the phsysics feat, and what psuedo did is damn impressive.

5. ...

A dual G5 might be very powerful, but I think a dual Opteron is just as bad-ass when it comes to performance. Even then, i don't think they were using such extreme setups to run that demo, although i just don't know...
A FX53 might get the job done very well...

And yes, ATI and NV also make cards for MACs, in fact they are the same cards as their PC counterparts, with maybe some things changed to make them "compatible" with macs. But they're absolutely the same.

london-boy said:
And yes, ATI and NV also make cards for MACs, in fact they are the same cards as their PC counterparts, with maybe some things changed to make them "compatible" with macs. But they're absolutely the same.

IIRC they have different BIOS and color output because of the way the Mac produces colors differently than the PC.

but I think a dual Opteron is just as bad-ass when it comes to performance.

I don't think so, but it would be real hard to tell at this point. Even still, going with intel on what they are doing would be a waste of time when thye plan to have a triple core Power PC processor in xbox 2, right?

Even then, i don't think they were using such extreme setups to run that demo, although i just don't know...

... :)

Qroach said:
I don't think so, but it would be real hard to tell at this point. Even still, going with intel on what they are doing would be a waste of time when thye plan to have a triple core Power PC processor in xbox 2, right?

I'm not sure there are any comparisons between a dual G5 and a dual Opteron, but i think they're pretty close. As you say, it's pretty hard to tell, but god a dual Opteron is a monster...
I think people in other threads already confirmed that, strangely, the demos WERE running on Intel processors, for some reason... I guess, being just "demos", they're not too worried about what they're running on, apart from the GPU part...
Even then, i don't think they were using such extreme setups to run that demo, although i just don't know...

...they were :)

Would love to see what they were running on... Anyone? There must be someone around here who knows more than us...

Back