Who's Blocking the Xbox? Sony and Its Games

Teasy, accord to a quick googlesearch, I make a guess of about 2.4 million Gamecubes in Japan:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/new_media/1755123.stm
http://www.gamecubicle.com/stat-japan-sales-2002-december-9.htm

Nintendo has shipped 2.7 million GameCube machines so far - 1.3 million in Japan and 1.4 million in the United States.

This is for 2001.

Nintendo GameCube 67,500 1,052,300

This is for 2002.

Plus the 100k or so in January, that gives us approximately 2.4 million.

Nonamer

Thanks for the info.

I think its about 164,000 sold so far in 2003 in Japan which would make the final number 2.5 million. That could very well be the right number, I wasn't 100% sure of 3 million anyway.

Teasy said:
BTW I have to say I'm impressed with your spelling skills. You haven't made one mistake in the whole of the 2 sentences you've written in this thread. I suppose that's what puts you in a position to judge other people on this subject? You must be very proud because that's some achievement. :LOL:

In all seriousness though lets just try to stay within the realms of reality shall we? My spelling abilities are far from some of the worst seen on this board. Not that it matters of course considering I would never try to ridicule anyone for bad spelling.

Well, if you're going to poke fun at someone else's spelling, shouldn't you at least check your own? In the previous post look at, 'badely' and 'ridecule'. Also you have a tendency to use, 'allot' I believe.

This from an 'English'man! ;)

archie4oz said:
I agree that the japanese gap is not relevant if you are a western dev considering you have no chance to sell anything to japanese,

Depends on your market goals... Naughty Dog and Insomniac have both had great success in Japan. It really comes down to whether or not the dev is going to put out serious effort at global appeal...

- They were doing mascot games, not completely anti japanese tastes like a FPS.
- They were heavily pushed by sony up to be included in bundles like the recent RC ps2 bundle

Qroach said:
BTW Quincy I suppose this is your idea of participating in a discussion? Practice what you preach you hypocrite.

Oh I "AM" participating. Not unlike yourself in the other thread. Oh, I got another line for ya...

"baby want a bottle?" That's a personal fav of mine.

No, but I got something you can suckle on...

Captain howdy, did you even read John reynolds post? For one thing, that post I made wasn't directed at you, so there's no need for you to respond to it at all. Second, that post was a few pages back and the conversation MOVED on, so once again, there's no reason to respond.

I suggest you listen to John instead of trying to start something. "We" were all warned, and that includes yourself.

TY, if I had made a joke about a small subtle spelling mistake then you would have a point. However I did not so you don't

In the previous post look at, 'badely' and 'ridecule'. Also you have a tendency to use, 'allot' I believe.

You mean I made 2 slight spelling mistakes in a 250+ word post that I wrote in about 10-15 minutes? Ouch am I embarrassed or what :rolleyes:

BTW "allot" is in fact a word so why shouldn't I use it? If you mean I occasionally use "allot" in place of "a lot" then just check the Geordie dictionary and I think you'll find its in there :) Do you see me complaining about those Americanisms your so fond of ("Anyhow" ect).

This is all very petty and boring so hopefully this thread can now either move on or die.

Qroach said:
Captain howdy, did you even read John reynolds post? For one thing, that post I made wasn't directed at you, so there's no need for you to respond to it at all. Second, that post was a few pages back and the conversation MOVED on, so once again, there's no reason to respond.

I suggest you listen to John instead of trying to start something. "We" were all warned, and that includes yourself.

No I did not, I am responding to the rude as hell "Baby want a Bottle?" remark only...that was lame, and uncalled for... so I do something equally lame and uncalled for. It isnt pleasant on the receiving end is it? no matter how lame it was, its irritating is it not?

No I did not, I am responding to the rude as hell "Baby want a Bottle?" remark only...that was lame, and uncalled for...

Well funny how that comment an other ones, that were rude and uncalled for before that post are simply ignored by yourself. Either way, You saw Johns post, which went up a few days after...

so I do something equally lame and uncalled for. It isnt pleasant on the receiving end is it? no matter how lame it was, its irritating is it not?

So YOU do something? Why should "you" do anything? the post wasn't directed at you, and I don't see any reason you need to come to teasy's rescue. He already replied in a simialr fashion, and I chose to not to continue with the discussion since it was pointless. Some advice I think you need to take.

no matter how lame it was, its irritating is it not?

:rolleyes: what part of the board rules didn't you understand?

john wrote:
If you don't have anything to say other than ridiculing a particular company or poster, then don't say anything at all.

I'm going to take his advice, instead of ignoring it like yourself.

Sony has the franchises, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily better games. I think 2002 was pretty slow all around for high-quality releases, but all platforms had at least 4 good exclusives (timed or otherwise) released:

Sony - Ratchet & Clank, GTA Vice City, SOCOM, Kingdom Hearts

MS - JSRF, Rallisport Challenge, MechAssault, Splinter Cell

GCN - Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Starfox, Metroid Prime

It's a myth that Sony has "the games", but Sony definitely has "the franchises & big name houses" like GTA and Square, for example.

Johnny Awesome said:
It's a myth that Sony has "the games", but Sony definitely has "the franchises & big name houses" like GTA and Square, for example.

Um, does any one else think this statement borders on self-contradictory?

The Games are generally the games people want. Which mean the games are popular. Popular games generally spawn sequals, creating franchises. Franchises are lucrative, and create Big name houese.

Splinter Cell, for example, is going to be big for years to come. It's "a game", under the "the games" umbrella. But is also multiplatorm and isn't significant in this type of discussion.

Sony has the big houses, which create the franchises, which are the games people want. Just look at whose producing the "big games" and you'll see what I mean, MShas lot of new developers to the console world.

Well, you're right to a point, but many times people want to say that "Sony has the games" and take that to mean that there aren't as many good games on Cube or Xbox, which simply isn't true. Franchises and big name houses are important, but they don't necessarily translate into the best games.

Sony has the most complete library though and this does count for something, to be sure.

PS: That isn't to say that MS hasn't managed to snag some decent franchises like Dead or Alive (best selling 3D fighter of this generation, likely to be surpased by SC2 and Mortal Kombat though) and Ninja Gaiden. Also, Perfect Dark is a pretty good acquistion too, but that won't be anything concrete for some time yet...

Teasy said:
TY, if I had made a joke about a small subtle spelling mistake then you would have a point. However I did not so you don't

Older Teasy Post said:
That's a nasty stutter you have there. Also your bold use of words that don't actually excist intrigues me. Are you the reincarnation of Robert Burns perhaps?

Of course you aren't making fun of his spelling! ;) Btw, notice what I presume is the word, 'exist'.

Teasy said:
You mean I made 2 slight spelling mistakes in a 250+ word post that I wrote in about 10-15 minutes? Ouch am I embarrassed or what :rolleyes:

There's nothing to be embarrassed about. My thoughts on this were fairly plain, IF you're going to make a comment about someone else's typing, then shouldn't you be more aware of your own? In light of the quote above, I think it's apparent that you ARE commenting on his typing. Furthermore it's not as if he constantly misspells 'weird' as 'weirld' or at least not to my knowledge. You, however, do always use 'badely' as a term and I think that's incorrect.

Teasy said:
BTW "allot" is in fact a word so why shouldn't I use it? If you mean I occasionally use "allot" in place of "a lot" then just check the Geordie dictionary and I think you'll find its in there :) Do you see me complaining about those Americanisms your so fond of ("Anyhow" ect).

I actually had no idea that 'allot' is the equivalent of 'a lot'. I know that the former is a noun describing a parcel (of land, etc.) but not that it is a synonym of 'to a great degree' which is the context of how you seem to use it. Do you have a link to a Geordie Dictionary?

Teasy said:
This is all very petty and boring so hopefully this thread can now either move on or die.

I'm not attacking you so I'm not sure why you consider it petty. Believe me, if I were always misspelling certain words, I'd be happy if someone corrected me. Proper grammar on the other hand, always seems to elude me so I've given up in that department.

Of course you aren't making fun of his spelling! Btw, notice what I presume is the word, 'exist'.

I didn't say that I didn't make fun of his spelling. I said that I didn't make fun of a small subtle spelling mistake. I made fun of a messed up sentence and it was nothing but harmless banter. He insulted me in that sentence so I took the piss out of the sentence itself. BTW stop your sad and petty spelling corrections, it actually makes you look like a total dick :)

There's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Either you missed the rolleye face in my quote or your trying to wind me up, which is it?

Furthermore it's not as if he constantly misspells 'weird' as 'weirld' or at least not to my knowledge. You, however, do always use 'badely' as a term and I think that's incorrect.

I didn't claim he was a bad speller who consistently made lots of mistakes. I was making a joke about that one botched sentence not his typing in general. Also I do not always spell "badly" incorrectly. Once again your exagerating.

Do you have a link to a Geordie Dictionary?

I didn't actually mean a real dictionary, hence the smillie. I just meant the local dialect in my home town. There is no gap between a and lot when I say a lot. So its very easy to write "allot" when I'm writing a post. As I won't have my mind on spelling but on my opinion or the argument at hand. However I do not always make that mistake because I know that its spelled "a lot" and not "allot". So there is no need for you to even mention it.

I'm not attacking you so I'm not sure why you consider it petty. Believe me, if I were always misspelling certain words, I'd be happy if someone corrected me.

Don't try to claim that you haven't been attacking me, you most deffinately have been. BTW you commented on me misspelling ridicule, yet I'd already spelled it correctly in the post before you mentioned it. So why bother mentioning it?

Quincy, yeah I know I should really just let it die. But I just hate it when someone doesn't understand what I'm saying. Especially when I think I made it quite clear in my last post.

Teasy said:
I didn't say that I didn't make fun of his spelling. I said that I didn't make fun of a small subtle spelling mistake. I made fun of a messed up sentence and it was nothing but harmless banter. He insulted me in that sentence so I took the piss out of the sentence itself. BTW stop your sad and petty spelling corrections, it actually makes you look like a total dick :)

Ouch. It appears that in Teasy-land anything that might be construed as an attack is not as long as he uses a smilie. But if someone else puts forth a tonal-neutral post it's an obvious attack! Note that other forum participants have also 'failed' to see that Teasy was joking when he was making fun of a 'messed up sentence'.

Teasy said:
Either you missed the rolleye face in my quote or your trying to wind me up, which is it?

Neither. Were my initial reply meant to be an attack I would have been way more vocal.

Teasy said:
I didn't claim he was a bad speller who consistently made lots of mistakes. I was making a joke about that one botched sentence not his typing in general. Also I do not always spell "badly" incorrectly. Once again your exagerating.

Ah, the magic of the search function. I found no less than 8 topics where you used, 'badely'. Maybe, as you claim, it's an exageration to say you always misspell it but the search function doesn't lie.

Teasy said:
I didn't actually mean a real dictionary, hence the smillie. I just meant the local dialect in my home town.

Ah. Well I figured it was a localized dialect much like Pidgin English is back in Hawaii. I thought that perhaps there was a dictionary of it some where. There is one for Pidgin English after all so I didn't think it a far stretch to imagine that one might exist for your dialect.

Teasy said:
There is no gap between a and lot when I say a lot. So its very easy to write "allot" when I'm writing a post. As I won't have my mind on spelling but on my opinion or the argument at hand. However I do not always make that mistake because I know that its spelled "a lot" and not "allot". So there is no need for you to even mention it.

Hmm, well you wouldn't use 'Lester Square' when you mean, 'Leicester Square', would you? But I understand your point, it sounds correct and I too find myself spelling phonetically many times as well.

The power of the search engine comes through again though. Here we find no less than 6 PAGES of topics where you used 'allot' instead of 'a lot' despite your claim of knowing better.

Teasy said:
Don't try to claim that you haven't been attacking me, you most deffinately have been. BTW you commented on me misspelling ridicule, yet I'd already spelled it correctly in the post before you mentioned it. So why bother mentioning it?

Again, if I meant to attack you it'd be fairly obvious. As to correcting your error of 'ridicule', check Page 3, that's where it still exists. I could mention anothe...oh never mind.

Btw, I do apologize for 'winding you up' so much that you had to edit your post 10 times. ;) Egads!

- They were doing mascot games, not completely anti japanese tastes like a FPS.

Yes and a lot of 'mascot' games totally flop there as well (assuming they're even attempted to be marketted there). Also, American devs do produce a lot more than just FPSs.

- They were heavily pushed by sony up to be included in bundles like the recent RC ps2 bundle

If they were crap (and that goes for Crash and Spyro as well) then Sony would've never pushed them to begin with. EA pushed FIFA pretty hard last year in Japan and tanked badly compared to Konami and Sega with regards to soccer games. While it does get spanked in terms of gameplay, it still offers potential for the more casual player enticed by graphics. Granted Konami has the J-League license so that puts a stiff damper unless you can get it (which would help out immensly). The same could be said for Baseball games...

Back