J. Allard may be leaving Microsoft -he was a member of the original Xbox team-

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Cyan, May 24, 2010.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

[​IMG]

Some people say it's because of differences with Steve Ballmer. Also the surreptitious cancellation of Courier. Apparently he will be on sabbatical and unlikely to return. He was the creator of Zune HD platform last year and worked originally on the Xbox 360.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the three red lights story after the launch of the 360. Besides that, I don't know if he is a key guy or not behind innovations like Natal. It looks like he wasn't very involved in the project in comparison to Zune, for instance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/j-allard-no-longer-at-ms-says-report

2. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

I think its time for them to headhunt about 2-3 key Apple personnel and transform the EDD into something other than a Microsoft division. I have always felt they ought to give the entire division the Xbox name and spun them off to be a semi-separate reporting agency if not a separate reporting agency on its own. That way the entire division can develop a separate identity and culture which is more conductive to designing consumer goods and services.

3. obonicus

Veteran

Now, that EDD actually seems to be posting profits?

4. dragonelite

Veteran

That sounds like music to my ears.

Wasn't some of the 1st party devs complaining about Microsoft extreme corporate way of commanding things?

5. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

Yep they were. This is the reason why I think Microsoft should at the very least spin off their publishing/game development arm.

6. dragonelite

Veteran

Lame that i havent heared anything about courier here in Holland searched it up.
    At first i thought microsoft wanted to get into handheld gaming.:shock:

I dont know but after watching some videos it's a shame they are gonna cancel Courier sounds like a device i would want if you can call people with it.:roll:

7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Courier actually looks like a worth while ipad + ereader all in one. The note taking ability makes it ideal for surfing the web and doing productive work and unlike the ipad the folding nature of it , makes it much much easier to ring with you

Why ? Ms is already making better devices than Apple , the only thing apple can teach them is marketing and even that MS has been getting better at recntly. They just have to push foward with devices. Courier hit the web an people and blogs started going ape shit over it. At that point ms should have pushed foward production on it instead of canceling it. Though from what I hear , they want to make the one note stuff and many of the features part of win 7 phone and use that as the os on the device

8. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

As much of an MS Fanboi that I might be, Apple still is owning Microsoft on the UI front. You can say a lot of negative (and true) things about their marketing and hardware and choices they've made, but their user interfaces are what really keep them going.

By targetting the layman rather than the computer savvy, they've carved out a HUGE niche in the market. That means the functionality may be low, and the performance may be only bearable, but for what the general idiot populace wants, it's almost exactly right.

You won't see me buying any Apple hardware anytime soon, though ;)

9. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Aesthetics really favor Apple hardware also to the point where I'm tempted to buy an ipad even though I have NO use for it. I was considering a MacBook Pro for looks a little while back only so I can run W7 on it but thankfully my intellingence kicked in at the last min.

10. RudeCurve

Banned

The Courier was lots of hype and not much substance. The concept was confused.

MS doesn't make batter hardware than Apple.

11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

You obviously haven't used a zune and certianly not a zune hd. Hands down.

Apple just got lucky and is now what the "cool" kids use and everyone wants to be part of the cool kids. Its the same craze that nintendo tapped into with the wii and ds.

Have you owned apple products ? Own a first gen and third gen ipod , along with a mother who owned a first gen shuffle , a sister who had an ipod mini and a brother in law who had a first gen nano . I can tell you that apple makes some pretty crap products with very cheap hardware.

12. RudeCurve

Banned

The Zune HD is just a ME TOO device that came too late with no compelling features that make it stand out. The iPod owned the Zune and the iPod Touch owned the ZuneHD. Finally the iPad owned Courier. BTW MS doesn't even make the hardware inside the Zune, it's basically a rebadged Toshiba MP3 player.

13. dragonelite

Veteran

Maybe you arent so far off with this suggestion.

remember its kotaku.:roll:

http://kotaku.com/5546877/microsoft-shaking-up-its-gaming-division

A cut off original source..
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704113504575265110872287930.html

14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Are the YouTube demos real or mockups? They looked pretty good and intuitive, but if the hardware and software wasn't actually working, "let's combine iPhone with DS - that's sure to be a winner," doesn't sound like a pretty desperate design.

Apple fritters FTW!

Phil Harrison has disappeared out of the industry too. Maybe these two should partner up, though I'm not sure what to do. It'd just be a bit ironic. :)

15. tabs

Veteran

I'm sure they'd come up with some bald ideas.

16. dragonelite

Veteran

Wasn't microsoft talking about a xbox rebranding coming around the same time that natal would come out.

I know its a rumor and stuff but is this coincidence.

http://newsoftrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2010/04/slim-360-to-be-unveiled-at-e3-360.html

17. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

Also from the same blog. Looks like it was a send up. Can't believe people are still desperate for MGS on the 360. Just get PS3 if you want it that badly!

18. obonicus

Veteran

19. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How would MGS even fit in with Natal? And where does J. Allard fit into all this? Did this thread ever have rails to get derailed from, or was it just some vague sort of hovercraft of a thread?

20. dragonelite

Veteran

Re branding out with the old in with the new.:roll: