Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there is no true solution other than real life. But Monte Carlo rendering is most certainly considered a "control" for rendering features for games. And my point is, tricks are done because the hardware isn't powerful enough. Eventually, we'll have monte carlo real-time rendering hardware where cheats won't be so in abundance and solutions will look closer to the "control" AND run at 30FPS.

Considering the VR project I am working on currently takes 10 hours to render each frame (4k though) I am sure that dream is far far away.

So, if u feel we shouldn't be happy with any game till then ....:nope: .Atleast a lot of people have a right to be happy when a game looks good. UC4 looks good, so does RnC, so does Driveclub, The Division, etc etc !

Syndicate had realtime TOD? wow, didn't know that. Alo the work that must go in making these recreation of cities must be humongous ! UNity looks good but blurry and the gfx are hidden behind the cluttered HUD.

One thing is very annoying about both Unity and Syndicate though and thats the excessive use of volumetric light for the sun. Completely kills the contrast of the image. I do not like this in Quantum Break either. Image becomes tonally flat. DIvision does it best, though.

Syndicate had realtime TOD? wow, didn't know that. Alo the work that must go in making these recreation of cities must be humongous ! UNity looks good but blurry and the gfx are hidden behind the cluttered HUD.

One thing is very annoying about both Unity and Syndicate though and thats the excessive use of volumetric light for the sun. Completely kills the contrast of the image. I do not like this in Quantum Break either. Image becomes tonally flat. DIvision does it best, though.

eh division looks flat too. except those agents with pink or neon green clothes :p

as for U4, they were bleak but changed the art style to more colours.

hmm, sombody need to try to colour-correct U4. How realistic looking it could be?

It may not be as barren as those games, but it's not "filled" to the brim with geometry either in that particular shot where your car is driving fast and you are literally traversing a much larger set than the jungle scene. I think UC4's engine is capable of rendering dense geometry fine in a limited distance (i.e. meters). I don't think it will do well with an open world though where PS4 bandwidth limitations will obviously affect how much it can draw.
Sure it can.
image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0005.jpg

image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0001.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0008.jpg
If UC4's engine is ever optimized for an open world I don't see ND has problem one upping GG's effort. Horizon almost retains the same level of insane details found in UC4 while being open world, having dynamic TOD, weather, real time volumetric clouding and more advanced Area light for every volumetric light. Horizon to me is more technically advanced than UC4 overall. PS4's bandwidth could absolutely handle it alright.

They actually hide a lot behind fog, on PC you can turn it off and see how it looks

On: http://i.imgur.com/F9x13ox.jpg
Off: http://i.imgur.com/roiSk1c.jpg

Same thing for Unity :p

Last edited:
so you get seperate normal disc case in addition to the steelbook?
You might get it......I got it separate for MGSV too. It depends on the company. Killzone didn't, the disc came in the steelbook but recently games are doing this. Packing the steelbook separately. Guess it simplifies the packing process.

They actually hide a lot behind fog, on PC you can turn it off and see how it looks

On: http://i.imgur.com/F9x13ox.jpg
Off: http://i.imgur.com/roiSk1c.jpg

Same thing for Unity :p

You seems passionate by rendering tricks. Another one you can see GG trick with lower res cloud if you slow down video from Guerrilla Games SIGGRAPH presentation the trick they use with volumetric cloud and temporal reprojection.

Easier to see on edge of the screen.

Sure it can.
image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0005.jpg

image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0001.jpg

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0008.jpg
If UC4's engine is ever optimized for an open world I don't see ND has problem one upping GG's effort. Horizon almost retains the same level of insane details found in UC4 while being open world, having dynamic TOD, weather, real time volumetric clouding and more advanced Area light for every volumetric light. Horizon to me is more technically advanced than UC4 overall. PS4's bandwidth could absolutely handle it alright.

Hyperbole. 1st screen looks no different than Tomb Raider. That 2nd screenshot already shows huge LOD in the trees/terrain. The fog is hiding a lot of lost detail. And it looks pretty much similar to Witcher 3. It does NOT imo look the same level as UC4 shots, so not a justifiable comparision.

You might get it......I got it separate for MGSV too. It depends on the company. Killzone didn't, the disc came in the steelbook but recently games are doing this. Packing the steelbook separately. Guess it simplifies the packing process.

The statue version may have both but the cheaper version won't - it'll be like the Uncharted Collection - game in the steelbook and an artbook

Hyperbole. 1st screen looks no different than Tomb Raider. That 2nd screenshot already shows huge LOD in the trees/terrain. The fog is hiding a lot of lost detail. And it looks pretty much similar to Witcher 3. It does NOT imo look the same level as UC4 shots, so not a justifiable comparision.

Horizon E3 2015 demo have more geometry that PS4 version of The Witcher 3, much better materials*, much better weather system, volumetric cloud, 3D foliage, more physics and better lighting too...

Much better materials than Tomb Raider too, better lighting and so on...

And it was far from the final build...

*materials are not very impressive in The Witcher 3 most of the time

Last edited:
You're kidding right? Tomb Raider's outdoor lighting is almost embarrassing in comparison, it's nowhere near rendering the same amount of dense foliage and scale. The lack of a proper PBR further blemishes its overall look. The Witcher 3 doesn't even have volumetric lighting, shadow or clouding, not to mention the beasts in TW3 utterly pale in comparison to the million poly mecha dinos roaming around in herds on top of a dense foliage laden landscape. If you're still in doubt of PS4's ability to render multi million polys per scene, Infamous SS is doing 11m per scene with high quality assets, lighting , particle and shaders no less.

You're kidding right? Tomb Raider's outdoor lighting is almost embarrassing in comparison, it's nowhere near rendering the same amount of dense foliage and scale. The lack of a proper PBR further blemishes its overall look. The Witcher 3 doesn't even have volumetric lighting, shadow or clouding, not to mention the beasts in TW3 utterly pale in comparison to the million poly mecha dinos roaming around in herds on top of a dense foliage laden landscape. If you're still in doubt of PS4's ability to render multi million polys per scene, Infamous SS is doing 11m per scene with high quality assets, lighting , particle and shaders no less.

Mechanical dinosaurs breaking rocks and tree. Each new individual rocks reacting to dinosaur movement.

Very good animation and Aloy changing running animation to avoid a breaking part of a rock...

So many things it is not even a contest...

Mechanical dinosaurs breaking rocks and tree. Each new individual rocks reacting to dinosaur movement.

Very good animation and Aloy changing running animation to avoid a breaking part of a rock...

So many things it is not even a contest...

You should try Uncharted. It's pretty cool.

You should try Uncharted. It's pretty cool.

I finish every Uncharted games and I was in all UC4 beta. I have Uncharted collection on PS4. I think a mod must move every rendering talk in another thread.

Sorry for the noise...

Last edited:
Yeah, Horizon is definitely doing much more, it's like rendering things that would put a PS4 down to a crawl judging by multiplatform standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back