How well is psp doing?

Lazy8s said:
The first generation of N-Gage will continue to be supported into 2006.

Nokia aren't the sole developer of all of their published games, but they are producing a comparable level of their own support as was challenged.

But their not going to have better games than what the PSP has of course. You do know this right? :???:

I honestly can't tell.

mckmas8808 said:
But their not going to have better games than what the PSP has of course. You do know this right? :???:
having played a pretty decent portion of all of the (non-sports) psp games out there, and owning a decent portion of all of the ngage games out there (they're cheap), i can say that there are currently more games i like to play on the ngage by a large margin. plus, the geek in me can't help but be excited about the upcoming rifts and warhammer 40k games for the system.

the only game i'm really looking forward to on psp is monster hunter. and new firmware. playing with the new features has given me more enjoyment than most of the ps2 ports have.

see colon said:
having played a pretty decent portion of all of the (non-sports) psp games out there, and owning a decent portion of all of the ngage games out there (they're cheap), i can say that there are currently more games i like to play on the ngage by a large margin. plus, the geek in me can't help but be excited about the upcoming rifts and warhammer 40k games for the system.

the only game i'm really looking forward to on psp is monster hunter. and new firmware. playing with the new features has given me more enjoyment than most of the ps2 ports have.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Too bad millions of people around the world disagree with you. Lets look at the upcoming PSP games list and then let's compare it too the upcoming Ngage list.

If you want you can list the potenially good Ngage games that will be coming out and I can list the potenially good PSP games.:D

Lazy8s said:
Nokia aren't the sole developer of all of their published games, but they are producing a comparable level of their own support as was challenged.

Gotcha on the statement that was challenged (which is why I simply asked for clarification) and why I mentioned that for a fair comparison you need to give the PSP the same amount of time as you've given the NGage.

mckmas8808 said:
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Too bad millions of people around the world disagree with you. Lets look at the upcoming PSP games list and then let's compare it too the upcoming Ngage list.

If you want you can list the potenially good Ngage games that will be coming out and I can list the potenially good PSP games.:D
i was just pointing out that quality software wasn't what held the ngage (specificly the QD) back. it was other factors. there's no sense comparing upcoming libraries of dead systes to ones just starting out.

for the record most people i know hated the ngage before they even tried it. and most people i show mine to are pretty impressed with it.

see colon said:
i was just pointing out that quality software wasn't what held the ngage (specificly the QD) back. it was other factors. there's no sense comparing upcoming libraries of dead systes to ones just starting out.

for the record most people i know hated the ngage before they even tried it. and most people i show mine to are pretty impressed with it.

Yeah your right. Before I knew anything about a PSP I still hated the Ngage. Never had a real reason too, I just did. I guess I would have been one of the guys you were talking about.

i was one of the guys i was talking about. in fact, one day i was talking to a friend and said "i own every handheld released in the US except the turbo express and ngage. the ngage sucks, but i'll buy one to make my collection complete". he traded me his (i didn't even realise he had one until then) for a pound of organic free trade coffee. later, i picked up a QD at an EB because i wanted acheap prepaid phone (i rarely use my cellphone, just for emergencies or special occasions) that had a decent feature set from a decent service provider. QD's were $100 at the time, run symbian and java apps, and the handfull of games that i already owned, so it was a no brainer.

to answer a question brought up earlier, piracy is rampant on the ngage. just launch any peer to peer app and search for ngage and you'll see complete sets of every game released, plus plenty of emulators (nes, gen, mame, GBC, ect).

see colon said:
to answer a question brought up earlier, piracy is rampant on the ngage. just launch any peer to peer app and search for ngage and you'll see complete sets of every game released, plus plenty of emulators (nes, gen, mame, GBC, ect).

Off topic, but if the games come on flash memory, can you simply copy them onto another flash card? I'm not up to date on encryption methods for flash memory. Tks.

i've never actualy tried it. but i will right now, just for curiosity's sake.

i tried it with tomb raider (because it's pretty small). the game didn't autoplay when i stick the card into my QD, but the game launched ok, then crashed and i got an error message that said "memory card corrupt" just before my phone turned off.

so i'm guessing there is some encryption. i do know, however, that there is an app called "blizzard", or "blitz" that you can use to install bootlegged ngage games to your phone (and not just ngage, apparently you can run the games on high end nokia's as well), but i've never tried it. seriously, the games were cheap enough before, but now EB is selling them all for $6.99 each and gamestop is selling them for 50% off, there's no reason to pirate them anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister got a PSP yesterday and so I finally had a chance to look at it up close... and holy *****, this thing IS pure sex!

The display is nothing short of incredible, the unit as sleek as it can be and the graphics (only played a bit of SSX but saw others as well) is quite stunning! The webbrowser is cool and gets its job done and viewing pictures on it is in higher quality than on my IBM laptop! In short: I'm blown away. This will be the next thing I'm getting, I'm sure.

Aye, in terms of industrial design..WOW, the PSP is one sexy machine alright (I got one AND a DS for Xmas). I'm really impressed by the clarity of the screen but hate the ghosting. I'm also impressed by the firmware updates. They just added WPA-TKIP which allowed it to connect to my home network.

I think the PSP will be doing even better when Daxter, Splinter Cell, and Syphon Filter are release this spring. Check out my Daxter and Syphon Filter thread to see those two games in motion.;)

the current news that GTA:LCS is coming to the PS2 in the not so distant future is pretty disapointing. seriously, a good portion of the PSP library that i would be interested in i passed on because those titles were the same or too similar to what's available on a home console (tony hawk, prince of persia, king kong). i've been trying to play through some of the games i got over the holidays before buying something new. LCS for PSP was on that list, but i have a sneaking suspision that it'll have some custom content when it comes to the livingroom.

At least GTA:LCS PSP will have this over the PS2 version:

- custom soundtrack
- 6 person multiplayer
- kids looking at you all crazy on the subway

custom soundtracks, yes, but there's nothing stopping rockstar from keeping networked multiplayer in the PS2 version. the installed base of network adapters for PS2 must be big enough by now for it to be profitable.

there are easier ways to get noticed on a subway. and most won't lead to you getting mugged. though, some might get you arrested.

see colon said:
custom soundtracks, yes, but there's nothing stopping rockstar from keeping networked multiplayer in the PS2 version. the installed base of network adapters for PS2 must be big enough by now for it to be profitable.

there are easier ways to get noticed on a subway. and most won't lead to you getting mugged. though, some might get you arrested.

Yeah, I've stopped using the PSP publicly. Not until the Army has a permanent presence in Toronto...

From Magicbox:

Here are the latest Japanese hardware sales for the week of Jan 2 - 8, 2006:
  1. PSP - 132,757 units
  2. Nintendo DS - 91,379 units
  3. PlayStation 2 - 80,886 units
  4. GameBoy Advance SP - 17,443 units
  5. GameCube - 13,423 units
  6. GameBoy Micro - 11,818 units
  7. Xbox 360 - 7,477 units
  8. GameBoy Advance - 564 units
  9. Xbox - 156 units
Here are the latest Japanese console software sales for the week of Jan 2 - 8, 2006:
  1. Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Motto Nouo Kitaeru Otona DS (NDS, Nintendo) - 290,021 [704,578] units
  2. Doubutsu no Mori DS [Animal Crossing: Wild World] (NDS, Nintendo) - 132,991 [1,515,219] units
  3. Mario Kart DS (NDS, Nintendo) - 114,709 [951,187] units
  4. Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju no Nouo Kitaeru Otona DS Training (NDS, Nintendo) - 113,860 [1,271,730] units
  5. Mario & Luigi RPG 2 (NDS, Nintendo) - 98,434 [231,160] units
  6. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2, Square Enix) - 83,200 [967,629] units
  7. Yawaraka AtamaJuku (NDS, Nintendo) - 62,664 [998,199] units
  8. Tamagotchi no PuchiPuchi Omisecchi (NDS, Bandai) - 61,834 [846,371] units
  9. Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Ao no Kyuujotai (NDS, Pokemon) - 57,065 [629,923] units
  10. Pokemon Fushigi na Dungeon: Aka no Kyuujoutai (GBA, Pokemon) - 48,729 [607,185] units
Why this sudden drop in DS sales, whereas it is still dominating games chart.

Rumour abounds of a DS redesign. These shortages could be akin to the shortages of PS2 prior to the slimline release. A slimline, classy DS could improve it's takeup even more.

Back