How well is psp doing?

People don't want to carry around toys with them, and they'll already have a more powerful portable in their phone.

Lazy8s said:
People don't want to carry around toys with them, and they'll already have a more powerful portable in their phone.

With the same game support? Nope. I personally think the PSP will last, I think it wont be as popular as a normal dedicated gaming handheld though.

N-Gage alone will sell tens of millions of units yearly among smartphones, building the largest platform base for game publishers to target.

Lazy8s said:
And here i thought it was a mp3 player, movie player, game system, and displayer of photos. hmm. What do you mean more powerful portable?

Playing music, movies, images, and games is entertainment, like a toy provides. They are not productive and certainly not mainstream like telephony is.

Phones can offer better hardware for games because they can subsidize hardware cost not just with game sales, but also with the subscription fee for phone service. In addition, phones are produced at a higher volume, driving down the fixed manufacturing costs.

Mine is under utilized, but very used. I haven't gotten into homebrew too much just because the kids are exceedingly happy with it just the way it is. (Lots of emulators/games & Ed, Edd, & Eddy episodes)

I'm still just amazed and impressed whenever I grab it for going somewhere, it's a really life-saver for doctor's office waiting rooms and gets me lots of funny looks from the other cardio patients. (Most of the other cardio patients are about 30-50 years older than me, and I ain't no spring chicken!)

Me still likey-likeys lots. :)

Lazy8s said:
Playing music, movies, images, and games is entertainment, like a toy provides. They are not productive and certainly not mainstream like telephony is.

Phones can offer better hardware for games because they can subsidize hardware cost not just with game sales, but also with the subscription fee for phone service. In addition, phones are produced at a higher volume, driving down the fixed manufacturing costs.

I don't think anyone was asking how well it fares against phones. I'd rather have a dedicated gaming device than a phone-game hybrid as the NGage is. There are many others that think the same, as evident by the PSP sales.

As for how well PSP is doing, accoarding to Sony Corporate Data Site, they've shipped 10 million units as of last month. How many of those are effectively sold, no idea, but it's at least evident that they must be doing quite okay considering the shipping numbers.

Lazy8s said:
N-Gage alone will sell tens of millions of units yearly among smartphones, building the largest platform base for game publishers to target.

I don't think you're going to find the ergonomics from a phone nearly as good as on a dedicated gaming portable (e.g. DS, GBA, or PSP).

And frankly, with PC sales stagnate even though they have a zillion more than consoles, the cell phone argument doesn't necessarily hold water.

The market potential for dedicated gaming consoles is subject to the reach of mobile phone demographics.

A model of a phone could be designed exactly like a dedicated console to target the niche who'd consider gaming to be the critical function, while still retaining the advantages of the phone business model, simply by balancing the accessibility of the gameplay function over the telephone function enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the-magicbox.com

Nekkei News inquired 1000 people in Japan, on what they are planning to purchase in the upcoming Christmas holidays, 12.9% said they plan to buy new console system(s), 33% of which are planning to purchase a PSP. Here are the breakdowns:
What new console system are you planning to buy?
1. PSP - 33%
2. Nintendo DS - 22.5%
3. PlayStation 2 - 20.2%
4. GameBoy Micro - 11.6%
5. Xbox 360 - 10.1%

IMHO the psp is shaping up to be the xbox of the handheld space. the hardware is nice, and it'll get some great games sooner or later (still looks like later), but it's library is largly port driven at the moment. about the time it's about to get replaced it'll start to get the universal appeal it deserves.

as for the phones (ngage) vs. psp argument, i have both. i carry my ngage with me every day, and why wouldn't i, it's a phone that supplies gaming when i need it. my psp sits in it's box unless i plan on using it. there hasn't been a spur of the moment gaming session for the psp yet for me. they (psp and ngage) are different beasts for different situations. one doesn't replace the other.

Lazy8s said:
The market potential for dedicated gaming consoles is subject to the reach of mobile phone demographics.

A model of a phone could be designed exactly like a dedicated console to target the niche who'd consider gaming to be the critical function, while still retaining the advantages of the phone business model, simply by balancing the accessibility of the gameplay function over the telephone function enough.

And we have yet to see a phone to be created thusly and I bet we never will.

You won't get an argument from me that the phones will reach a vastly wider audience than dedicated gaming portables but as the PC shows, this doesn't mean it will be a successful platform for the gaming sector.

mckmas8808 said:
I will like to see a cellphone be able to display a game that looks like this. Watch the video clip.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/princeofpersiawarriorwithin/media.html?mode=trailers

Most of that was pre-rendered playback though. The actual game portion was very good for a portable but still a bit choppy in some areas. I have no doubt that a high end phone using MBX could deliver as good and perhaps even better looking games.

The real question is will developers bother?

Deepak said:
From the-magicbox.com

Nekkei News inquired 1000 people in Japan, on what they are planning to purchase in the upcoming Christmas holidays, 12.9% said they plan to buy new console system(s), 33% of which are planning to purchase a PSP. Here are the breakdowns:
What new console system are you planning to buy?
1. PSP - 33%
2. Nintendo DS - 22.5%
3. PlayStation 2 - 20.2%
4. GameBoy Micro - 11.6%
5. Xbox 360 - 10.1%
ohhh, i like that. I was just hoping i didn't make a mistake in buying the thing.

Back