Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

OK, that looks more encouraging and the only point of branching skills is to allow you choice in abilities and, presumably, play style. Bombs, traps, additional craftable and enhanceable weapons. Oh yeah, this game is very me. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that i think I've mentioned again but can't praise enough is how Aloys eyes look in the game

capture3myg6.jpg

25gyb0.jpg

Instantly makes her feel more alive

New previews look really good graphically. But I guess it's example #1 million of diminishing returns. It looks really nice but it doesn't make my jaw drop, I dont think anything can anymore. The comparison to Ubisoft cookie cutter open world games in many previews is a bit disheartening though. Not that I play any of them or will play this LOL.

Also noticing a lot of fog in the backdrop, I guess to lighten the GPU load a bit. Still it looks very very good, a return to graphical prowess for Guerilla after IMO lackluster Shadowfall. Animation is a little spotty but also pretty good. Definitely a ground up next gen game.

I have a feeling this may review poorly (by "poorly" I mean I dont know, 70's). Has Guerrilla ever proved themselves a highly reviewed developer? Then you throw in the open world part...1st party usually doesn't do open world or RPG (though I guess there's Crackdown). I think maybe it takes too many resources. Guerilla probably has a lot of resources, but they also have a touch of euro-jank to overcome. For me reviewing poorly doesn't equate to a bad game though. It just means it reviewed poorly. I like tons of movies that reviewed poorly.

My PC gamer, but Sony guy on the console side, but pretty much lapsed entirely now from consoles, bro said he might buy a PS4 for this. He's threatened to buy a PS4 a few times and not done it though. But I hope so I'll watch him play. He also usually plays the Final Fantasy's and Soulsborne games on playstation, so he'd have stuff to play, I'd try to ensure he gets a Pro as well.

New previews look really good graphically. But I guess it's example #1 million of diminishing returns. It looks really nice but it doesn't make my jaw drop, I dont think anything can anymore. The comparison to Ubisoft cookie cutter open world games in many previews is a bit disheartening though. Not that I play any of them or will play this LOL.

Also noticing a lot of fog in the backdrop, I guess to lighten the GPU load a bit. Still it looks very very good, a return to graphical prowess for Guerilla after IMO lackluster Shadowfall. Animation is a little spotty but also pretty good. Definitely a ground up next gen game.

I have a feeling this may review poorly (by "poorly" I mean I dont know, 70's). Has Guerrilla ever proved themselves a highly reviewed developer? Then you throw in the open world part...1st party usually doesn't do open world or RPG (though I guess there's Crackdown). I think maybe it takes too many resources. Guerilla probably has a lot of resources, but they also have a touch of euro-jank to overcome. For me reviewing poorly doesn't equate to a bad game though. It just means it reviewed poorly. I like tons of movies that reviewed poorly.

My PC gamer, but Sony guy on the console side, but pretty much lapsed entirely now from consoles, bro said he might buy a PS4 for this. He's threatened to buy a PS4 a few times and not done it though. But I hope so I'll watch him play. He also usually plays the Final Fantasy's and Soulsborne games on playstation, so he'd have stuff to play, I'd try to ensure he gets a Pro as well.

Killzone 2 is 91 metacritic and Killzone 3 is 83 metacritic. It is the same team than this two titles. KZ SF was directed by another team and a launch title. They hired people from Bioware, Obsidian, CDProjekt and the lead writer of Fallout New Vegas.

The mock review are very good from shinobi602 in GAF. Mock reviews are reviews done by reviewer not working in videogame press anymore for risky project. Most of the time it match metacritic reviews...

Infamous is an open world franchise made by sucker Punch 1rst party and Guerrilla Games employee were more than 270 for production of this title at one moment, big growth...

After it could be less than 80 anything is possible but mock reviews and previews are very good.

Edit: Sometimes mock reviews aren't accurate because people working out of videogame press since a long time are not always reviewing like current market review games... And Sony executives are happy of the result too.

Last edited:
Imo, I think it will probably be a 80+ metacritic games but not a 90+ one because it is a post Witcher 3 game (imo the best AAA game this generation with Bloodborne).

Last edited:
He also usually plays the Final Fantasy's and Soulsborne games on playstation, so he'd have stuff to play, I'd try to ensure he gets a Pro as well.
Horizon is basically the first major first-party title released after the PS4 Pro release (Trico is an exception), it can be seen as the launch title for PS4 Pro just like RE7 was the launch title of PSVR though Pro/PSVR availability is still scarce. It seems there's no Pro bundle right now but may happen in future.

Nice preview and some quality footage.

Edit: Lighting looks sublime in this video, I like the parts at 5:30 and at 7:59

Last edited:
Am i right or the popping is really discrete in this game ? (i can only see popping for the shadows)

At 13min28, it looks so much better than any open world on the market. I mean, the game is as detailed as Uncharted, but it's an open world. This part reminds me this level :

maxresdefault.jpg

This is a famous scene shown in several trailers, so you can watch without a real worry for spoilers.

Last edited:
Am i right or the popping is really discrete in this game ? (i can only see popping for the shadows)

At 13min28, it looks so much better than any open world on the market. I mean, the game is as detailed as Uncharted, but it's an open world. This part reminds me this level :

maxresdefault.jpg

This is a famous scene shown in several trailers, so you can watch without a real worry for spoilers.

There is popin but it is much better than other build...

Imo, I think it will probably be a 80+ metacritic games but not a 90+ one because it is a post Witcher 3 game (imo the best AAA game this generation with Bloodborne).

I don't necessarily disagree but Witcher 3 is a cookie cut fantasy RPG with swords and magic whereas HZD has robot dinosaurs set in a dystopian future. One genre is incredibly tired and exhausted, the other is less so.

RE7 is metacritically better than its immediate predecessors but sales-wise it sold less. Consumer fatigue is a seemingly tangible real thing.

looks almost too good to be true but it id obviously real gameplay. Still Hope there won't be a downgrade or something before release.

The game is gold. The technical director told on Twitter than the gold version has a better framerate than the preview version.

BBz0kFz.jpg

Reactions: scf
I don't necessarily disagree but Witcher 3 is a cookie cut fantasy RPG with swords and magic whereas HZD has robot dinosaurs set in a dystopian future. One genre is incredibly tired and exhausted, the other is less so.

RE7 is metacritically better than its immediate predecessors but sales-wise it sold less. Consumer fatigue is a seemingly tangible real thing.

I like the settings of Horizon Zero Dawn and the combat looks better than The Witcher 3 but the story of TW3 and some of the quest are so good... Maybe it will be a bit better than I think and be a 90+ but wait and see.

Last edited:
Combat looks far more dynamic and interesting than Witcher 3's at least.

Mod edit: - Don't embed large gifs! We don't all want to download and view such content for various reasons. Provide a link to such content or, better yet, a link to an efficient video stream.

45 mb GIF example - http://i.imgur.com/Dh0jqT7.gif

Graphics is better than in previous builds. Significantly less pop ups, but in my opinion they still distracts all the time while playing. This is especially disappointing for a 30fps game. I like the vegetation very well. This is dense and the assets look good quality.
The textures could be better and the water I even find ugly. Worse than in a Crysis from 2007.

Why are the characters so praised? I do not understand that. Below average voiceacting, strangely written dialogue, obsolete facial animations. In the latter case it reminds me of the much criticized Mass Effect: Andromeda. And what was that "dramaturgy" in the end? I had to smile as the black woman always turned her head. She was dead with the nerves when the guy wanted to kill himself......... Not...... This is disappointing for a 2017 game.
I'm even more skeptical about the game now.

Last edited:
Back