Heavy Rain: New Screenshots and development footage*

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by deepbrown, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I feel the same. I prefer what we have now more than what they showed back then. By a big difference

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I checked out the PSN version, and I was completely wrong in my original take on the lip-syncing being dubbed in German. It's English, recording a date and time, but the lip-syncing was atrocious. If they haven't got that working correctly, the whole illusion is doomed.

3. deepbrown

Veteran

Well we know they will have it working, as that's where a lot of their research has been focused.

4. Daozang

Regular

It seems it's full of quick time events again... For me that's bad. I thought we were through the Dragon's Lair days...

5. _phil_

Veteran

The sound sync is slightly off in the released trailer.

6. Cornsnake

Veteran

I'm more worried about the use of the motion control. Out of all the games that I played that use it, I only like it in Folklore. The rest is always better with traditional controls IMO.

7. deepbrown

Veteran

Someone hasn't read the info on gameplay.

You control the character, everywhere she goes, what decisions she makes and what to interact with.

In some outcomes of your decisions, eg. getting caught by the guy (you could have run out of the house.) you can control what to interact with to defeat him and survive...eg. look at the phone and you can hit him with the phone, look at the window and you jump out the window, look at the stairs and you can make a run for it. There aren't set quick time events...and none are fatal if you miss them. Yes you could miss a button and he kills you with the knife, but the story will continue with that character dead.

8. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I think it's interesting - in this case what seems like QTE is actually a mix between QTE and mouse-clicking on an object to use it as you would in a more traditional point and click adventure game.

9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It was more than slightly off when I watched it. The lips were moving when there was no speech, rather than a fraction of a second mis-syncing. I'm sure it'll be fixed, but it does ruin the illusion of the trailer to a good degree.

10. patsu

Legend

:lol: If it's that bad, I'm sure they will fix it. The demo is not part of the game anyway, so I am guessing they will get to it eventually (or may be never -- should they show the actual game scenes later).

11. Daozang

Regular

:grin:

I didn't mean the "dragon's lair" comment to be taken literally.:wink:
    Qte's are fun in games like RE4 or GoW, but I think that a game that relies that heavily on them is more of an interactive movie...

12. user542745831

Veteran

13. catisfit

Regular

I think the point is, they aren't QTEs in Heavy Rain. They are more like Madden, i.e. symbols on screen which allow you to press the corresponding button if you so choose to perform that action.

14. jandlecack

Banned

True. The whole point Heavy Rain is trying to make is that even if you "fail" and get killed during one of these events, the game progresses and so does the story.

I heard there are 8 different characters you play as, depending on whether you die and where and whatnot.

I am so sold.

15. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Wow ! Is that true? That is so cool! Does any other game offers this?
    That will make me replay it god knows how many times, permutations and combinations depending on the situations in which a character can die.

And yes, those are options of actions not QTEs exactly.If they map a throw object to "X" and block with object to "O" and likewise then this kind of gameplay can become intuitive.So, you see a vase, and instinctively you press"X' to throw it at him, you see a table or something, you press "O" to block with it.

and the face of the girl is completely stiff when she talks and enters the room and turns around! Where did all the mocap tech go ?:roll:

16. jandlecack

Banned

That's what I last heard ;) Don't take my word for it though, we should wait for them to dump more info about the game till we know what it will be like for sure.

Also, no I doubt any other game did something like that. I would probably know :p

17. patsu

Legend

Translated preview from Meristation

http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=1925888&postcount=165

More details in the link. I see that Heavy Rain aims to play with my emotion.

18. Daozang

Regular

If by that you mean that each symbol represents the same action then I'm Ok.
    But it seemed to me by the EU trailer on psn that it was random.
    I think that you'll be able to perform actions the way you described when you control your character directly. And at some points, the game will enter cutscene mode were you'll have to press buttons to clear them...

19. patsu

Legend

I think, like MGS4, even if the game is in cutscene mode, the player can look around. As you pan the environment, it is possible to say, choose the window or the front door to enter the building. Cutscenes and gameplay are the same thing here.

20. user542745831

Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.