Heavy Rain Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking right now, I am watching the same image on my Sony Bravia:

Once in my ps3 input
and once in my PC input(connected via DVI-HDMI)

There is a hell of a lot of difference in the colour space of the PS3(TV colour space) and the PC colour space. The image looks much more beatiful in my ps3 colour space.

The only problem I have with HR's graphics right now is that what looks great on stills, doesn't reflect how game looks while playing. These pics are still somewhere there in uncanny valley but they look cool. When they start to move they may be still cool or the game will creep the hell out of people. Early tech vids show that while character was really detailed, animation looked really unnatural. It's easy to talk about emotions and what not, but animated specular map used to show tears is not going to invoke stronger emotions than fear of mechanical almost-person.

Yes, motion is key, and every little detail counts.

That's why they may have to focus on just one character for a start. The advanced mo-cap techniques Sony developers used in Heavenly Sword, R2 and KZ2 help too. To further reduce unnatural movements, the developer should be able to design a game/level to avoid excessive movements (e.g., you don't control the female character's movement directly).

ConyaR, you're right about the Uncanny Valley, but the devs have recognised the problem and improved upon it, IIRC from interviews. My expectation is that animation is improved, though whether its good enough or not is yet to be seen. However, my gut feeling is it'll be fantastic, because the developers appreciate it has to be. The game will be worthless with freaky, unnatural motion.

I'm pretty hyped for this game now. This is exactly what PS3 needs to set itself apart from the competition, this game is just oozing with atmosphere.

Has anybody played Fahrenheit? It is also done by Quantic Dream and it looks pretty good from the short synopsis on wiki.

About the BBC story, Darren Waters confirmed a while ago (in the comments section of a post in BBC's tech blog) that it wasn't Heavy Rain. He said he was expecting Sony to show the "secret" game at E3 but alas, they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back