Heavy Rain [PS3]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by patsu, Feb 19, 2010.

1. patsu

Legend

I decided to stay out of the Heavy Rain demo, but this GAF post nearly made me fire up the demo last night:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19875341&postcount=1507

It warms me up when consumers respond to a work of art or innovation positively. They seem to "get it".

2. patsu

Legend

A word of caution: Be wary when you enter a Heavy Rain thread/article on not-so-well-run gaming sites. Someone spoiled the game ending on gamefaq:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19883734&postcount=1566

3. patsu

Legend

It wouldn't be Sony without some sort of delay, if a tiny one: :twisted:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/19/gamestop-says-heavy-rain-pre-order-dlc-delayed/

4. PSman

Banned

GameSpot review is in 8.5
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/heavyrain/review.html

Not bad, but consider the amount of hype it is a little disappointed.. There are some control and technical issues as well..

Ugh... Sound nasty. The visual is one of the most hyped aspect of this game as well.

5. patsu

Legend

I think the positive feedback for Heavy Rain are mostly directed at the gaming experience. The visuals seem to fluctuate between impressive and trying. Due to its far out nature, you'll probably find a wide range of scores for this game.

6. _phil_

Veteran

Apparently , no 2 reviewer/player will have the same problems with streaming.some Will have close to none ,others will be plagued with.

Seems gamespot got the worse to date .Never heard about 'an all-black environment or a silhouetted character' until now...

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Could this be a disk-read issue? In Champions of Norrath there'd be streaming issues accessing the second layer, resulting in blacked-out environments for a moment. My suspicions is this is more a fault of the disk or PS3 in this case, otherwise the fault would be a commonly reported one.

8. patsu

Legend

Does GameOS file system ever get fragmented ?

9. assurdum

Veteran

gamespot meh. Really, it's the first time who read so much complains about HR flaws. From the others reviews the fps it's acceptable, tearing bad but occasional & pop in of texture nothing so worse compared to ue3 engine. I don't understand what's going on to the gamespot code.

#9 assurdum, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  10. patsu

Legend

It's probably more important to get in touch with them to diagnose the inconsistencies (e.g., Does the problems occur after reformatting the HDD ?).

In this game, I doubt the scores will do much. The demoes are already out there for people to judge for themselves. It's a brand new, if not controversial, experience. Some (like Adam Sessler and one of the posters here) will call it ground-breaking, some will call it a mess. Most of us will probably be able to find flaws with the game since the "formula" is so new.

11. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

I just played the demo and must say it is one of the best, most unique demos I've ever played. I wasn't sold on the indirect control scheme at first, but it really made sense to me during the fight scene. It seemed more lifelike than your average video game fight and gave me a real sense of urgency as though I were in a real fight, unlike most button-mash combat games today.

I was already going to buy this game (along with about 15 others) but I think this just vaulted to the top of my list.

12. minimoke

Newcomer

Screen tearing I can almost understand, but in a game with mostly? static scenes I'm not sure why there should be any texture pop-up.

13. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

I think its totally variable & down to streaming/disc/HDD issues.As I once mentioned earlier when I played the demo that I had lots of scene where the textures didn't switched to higher resolution mode even after being in the scene for 8-9 seconds....this made me think that the game isn't using any high res textures at all.

I mentioned it here & then someone pointed out that there isn't any such case of low resolution textures in the demo. being curious I fired up the demo again & this time the textures loaded aptly without any pop ups.

14. patsu

Legend

15. patsu

Legend

Just received a text message from GameStop. The game is out tomorrow in stores, ready for pick up.

16. deathindustrial

Regular

According to my local EB 18 of the 25 copies they received for the street date are reserved for pre-orders.

No idea whether that is a good or bad thing as far as sales go, just thought I would mention it.

Cheers

17. patsu

Legend

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/22/heavy-rain-banned-in-united-arab-emirates/

18. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

My friend would be happy to know this...the resale value of his copy just went a few notches up :lol:

19. patsu

Legend

20. AntShaw

Regular

Picked it up during my lunch break. I already have a few hours available this evening to delve in. Looking forward to it.