Heavy Rain: New Screenshots and development footage*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation I picked from N4G, supposed to be from the Famitsu review :
- One play is about 10 hours. If you want to finish all the game' scenarios it's 30 hours.
- Innovative control and fabulous story
- You can really immerse your emotion, especially if you have kids.
- Lots of branching in the story
- Top notch atmosphere
- Keeps you want to continue playing
- You can also sense fear

The game has no "game over"

The game has no "Game Over" !!!!!!!!!!
:oops:
I think I should stop reading about this game now. This is some surprising info for an adventure game ! :cool:

That info is somewhere early in this thread. If one of the characters dies, the game will continue with the others and you`ll get a different ending.

Played the demo on friends PS3.

Found the controls more anoying than innovative IMO. Others will disagree.

I just hated having to button mash to do simple things like get asthma(sp) inhaler. They would be better of by simply making the user glue 4 "Buzz trivia game buzzer controllers" to their body and just press those during (sigh) QTE events and exploration.

Making the old PI/Dick navigate around the dumpster in the alley pretty much highlighted my anoyance.

Like I said, Im sure others will think the opposite. (i did enjoy Indigo Prophecy though)

That info is somewhere early in this thread. If one of the characters dies, the game will continue with the others and you`ll get a different ending.

I thought it means no game ending in the sense the game can be played on after it ends or something. Maybe I just misunderstood.

Very very nice and immersive demo. Loved every second. Sure, there are some issues but overall it is quite amazing.
Indigo Prophecy on steroids :)

What are the differences between Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain controls ?
Well in Indigo Prophecy [fahrenheit as I like to call it] you had most if not all actions done through the analogue sticks, here its different you move with R2 & control the direction with L analogue like in a racing game. L1 makes you change the camera angles & every other button is used for actions that is prompted on screen...the Right analogue is used for movements while the face buttons are used for conversations.

Speaking of conversations its just like ME..ie you get a gut feeling & the dialogue to be said is expressed in one or two word followed by the face button required for that dialogue.As for QTEs..well it asks for anything :)

I thought it means no game ending in the sense the game can be played on after it ends or something. Maybe I just misunderstood.

Eurogamer podcast discussed this, mentioned that there are multiple endings (and they really are endings).

They also said a review should be up soon, probably today.

Either some of them can`t die or you will play another guy, waiting 8 ingame hours at the trainstation while doing "conversation - games" ala Oblivion.

No, they can all die...all four. It just means you'll reach one of the endings...one of the endings where all four have died :)

If there is the possibility that they all die then there will be a story arc that has been designed to reflect that. Its not like any character can just die at any moment, there will be very specific set pieces where this can occur, likely towards the climax of each characters story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe ign give 8,5 to the graphic ... surely have its flaws but really 8,5 that graphic? :???: wtf? How many games reach the same quality?

Last edited by a moderator:
here you go if you missed these... pretty solid!

Eurogamer Review - 9

Quote:
Heavy Rain also won't be for everyone. Not everyone will accept the way it sometimes offers prompts even when they may have no impact on actual events. For all the game's flexibility and manifold outcomes, there are also times that you may wish to do something that is not available, as the illusion of free will and suspension of disbelief strains at the writer's narrative leash. Perhaps most damning, for some, will be the realisation as the game reaches its narrative apex that the bonds of empathy it has fought to establish were somewhat diversionary.

It would be a shame to look past Heavy Rain for these reasons, however, because while it is an intricate game that deserves to be debated for a long time, it is also a simple one to enjoy: a thrilling mystery, cleverly composed, and unlike anything else you will play this year. It may also be the only game you play this year where pulling the trigger makes you really feel something, and I can think of no greater compliment.

IGN Review - 9.0

Quote:
Heavy Rain is a hell of an experience. Its controversial control scheme actually works really well in allowing the fantastic story to dictate how events play out, and many of the game's scenes will keep you on the edge of your seat. It starts slow and the presentation isn't perfect, but the character development, dialog and story twists will hook you like few games can. Heavy Rain is not to be missed.

1UP Review - A-

Quote:
Talking to others who've played through Heavy Rain, I don't think I'm overstating it when I say that no two people will have the exact same experience. And I would encourage you to not cheat yourself on your first time through the story. When you first boot up the game you're taken directly to the opening rather than the main menu; avoid the Chapter Select screen and keep your experience more organic.

Though shorter than other epic, multi-disc titles, there's more than enough content in Heavy Rain to warrant a purchase. At the end of my first playthrough I was left utterly satisfied with the conclusion of the story and wanting more titles of this caliber. Heavy Rain may not appeal to every twitch-shooter fan out there, but if you believe games can evolve beyond Pac-Man and Mario then I suggest supporting the amazing work Quantic Dream has done.

Videogamer Review - 9

Quote:
But for the rest of you, for those of you who can open your minds to the possibility of something genuinely new, this is mana from heaven. Heavy Rain is one of the most exciting things to happen to video games for a long, long time. It's not a threat to the old way of doing things, but it does hint at a whole new direction that some games could take. It occupies a middle ground somewhere between video games and cinema, and to be quite frank, there's nothing else like it anywhere. If you do plump for it, I can guarantee that you'll be discussing it – and all the great moments that I've resisted telling you about – for months to come. And if you want a true indicator of what the PS3 can do, and of the true potential of next-gen gaming, I can think of no better candidate.

GamePro Review - 5/5

Quote:
Put simply, Heavy Rain is a gaming experience that took huge risks in design, narrative, and game mechanics, and executed on its ideas to masterful effect. You will care, in the end, about the decisions you made to shape the fates of your characters, and wonder long after it's over if you made the right choices. Most of all, I hope that it will send a shockwave through the media industry as a whole and prove that video games can in many ways be the best medium to convey a story, and are more than capable of stirring up infinitely complex emotions; namely, love.

I can't believe eurogamer give 8,5 to the graphic ... surely have its flaws but really 8,5 that graphic? :???: wtf? How many games reach the same quality?
I'm bit ?? too.
IGN too gave it an 8.5 in that department.

Also I think they must have encountered one of those bugs I got in the demo, which prevented the textures to load into high rez mode :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back