Heavy Rain: New Screenshots and development footage*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've played the demo. I like the controls and the concept. The QTE's being part of the 3D view is superb, and the fight was quite engaging. Visuals are mixed. Some of the facials are great, but the animation is mostly robotically-applied clips. There was an awkward lack of dynamic AO, meaning no contact shadows which, in a game of this sort, is essential IMO. Texture detail and IQ was good.

Regards the game play, at the moment it's getting a 'no' from me. There are two parts to the demo; the detective visiting a shabby motel and a Fed agent visiting a crime scene. The FBI agent bugged me because...
he has some insane technological gadgets! HUD specs with a glove interface that can scan the surroundings to find clues makes this more sci-fi, and the experience was pretty tedious. Scan, walk, check. Rinse and repeat a few times.

More importantly the entire premise of the seemingly open RPG gameplay was unravelled the moment I tried the demo a couple of times in different ways. The outcome is exactly the same. The dialogue choices are much like old adventure games, where you'd basically try them all in turn. Persuade. No luck? Try Coerce? Still no luck? Try Pressure? Run out of options? Well that's because you can't actually change the outcome with this dialogue, so it really doesn't matter what you try or in what order! I tried just not bothering and ended up with the same opportunity as trying. There's a fight, and the outcome for you seems to be the same regardless of what you do. That said, I haven't tried not doing anything yet. But prior to the fight, I went in knowing that though I had the option to turn away and not get involved, there was no negative impact to me, nor was there a potential cost to going in. If I could have died in the fight, the choice between helping or not becomes a real choice. As it was, it doesn't matter much what I do.

I guess overall there'll be fixed story arcs, each with a branch and a choice which path to take. Overall though the experience may be very linear. Perhaps an excellent story superbly executed, but with no replay value or sense of exploration. I wonder how those who have ordered it will find it?

How long are the demoes ?

If it's what I think they are trying to achieve, I won't expect short term cause-and-effect for the events all the time. Some of the "destiny" are probably set in stone, but there may be critical moments in life you need to change... like what's that movie called ? ... "Back to the Future". XD

David Cage will need some of the happenings for building up the characters, and setting up the story and context.

I shall resist playing the demo.

Just tried the demo and it seems cool not sure if the demo will hold up to multiple plays yet for the reasons that shifty outlined but if the full games is longer than 10hrs or has lots of different outcomes it will be fun!

My guess is the demoes can only let you in at the character development and story setup parts (Read: no surprises). However, it may be a good way for you to test drive the controls, and enjoy the visuals.

They cannot (must not) show you the actual meat of the gameplay because it'd be spoilerific. The critical decision moments may be out-of-context too (if it's revealed abruptly in a short demo), and they may want/force you to respond quickly.

Tried the demo: I am surprised...I like the concept.

Controls weren't (as exepcted) either good nor bad...just simple!
Story telling is great, the mood of the two scenes you can play is great as well (highly depends on the superb sound, music) had a "seven" feeling to it.

I like the graphics a lot, especially the realistic looks of it...but some facial animations (brutally obvious when the "girl" talks, the mouth looks ridiculous) are below standard.

I also tried the scenes with different options: the scene itself drastically changes (obvious if you treat the girl more carefully or a little bit rough), but as Shifty said...in this scenes the overall ending was the same, which is somehow a plus for me (with this much of available branches, the game would have about 10^10 different stories at the end which obviously is not realistic nor interesting).

As I am a fan of serial killer stories, I have decided that I buy this game.

Played the demo :) ! The sleazy hotel is purely great ! Absolutely perfect ! I tried that scene 3 times , made three different choices in conversations, and boy, each time she told me something else. Once, she just sent me off without any info, once she offered me a cig and I got to see her son's pic and could talk to her till the alarm rang, after that she was cold as steel and once I got all info I wanted from her.
@Shifty: I was gonna say the opposite. I think this is the first adventure game where my conversation choices led to 3 different conversations and events. What u r talking about, where in one basically chooses all the options one by one happwned to me only when I chose to be compassionate. Otherwise it didn't happen. And as for the fact thar
t the end result was the same, I don't think it was the same. I got 3 different resposes from the woman, which I think will completely change the relationship I will have with that woman the next time I meet her I guess. Also, as for death of the character, dont't expect every scene to end in death if wrong choices were made. Thats not how life is :) ! We live through 99% of fights in our lives :cool:, in any case u won't expect a scene in which a character can die in a demo :) !
As for the FBI agent scene, well it was a regular investigation scene. I didn't play it agsin to see if anyhting different can happen. I had found all the clues in my first attempt, at least I think so.
If they keep the atmosphere and quality of the hotel scene in 90% of the scenes, then we can say we have a winner here.
Only think left to discover is how charming the story will be, guess I'll have to play it to find that out :) !

PLayed the sleazy place scene again, in the evening this time when it was dark, and I must say the graphics are fantastic. had to tinker with the gamma setting though, as now I am using my ps3 with a Dell S2409W , no more on my sweet Bravia 32" V series :)(, its in the family room now). Its a monitor basically, and after having used the bravia with my ps3, the dell monitor just feels desaturated and boring, though PC games look great at Full HD, but colours are lacking.
But I adjusted the gamma and played when it wwas dark, and yes the gfx are amazing ! and there are still stuff that is happening which is new, though it was my 4 th playthrough of the scene.
Tried playing the crime scene again, but just didn't feel like going thru the drill of investigation again. I had explored completely the first time thru.

Amazing GFX, amazing gameplay ! Good job, Quantic Dream ! I'll be buying this one for sure :cool: !

Since you're now on a PC monitor it's even more important than before that you use the Full RGB setting, but I assume you already knew that. ;)

Since you're now on a PC monitor it's even more important than before that you use the Full RGB setting, but I assume you already knew that. ;)

Yup, I am using the full RGB option, but somehow, the image is just lacking in contrast and colours on this monitor ! Dunno what to do, I am stuck with it now. The only option is to switch to "Multimedia" preset which offers slighhtly saturated colourss, a little extra contrast, but the reds get oversaturated and everything gets a greenish tint :( !
I just chk for every game whether "Standard" looks good or "multimedia" and then play. But , well, its nowhere near my Bravia with WideCGamut ! Games were so much more beautiful there in terms of colours, but the denser pixel pitxh means a smoother image on the Dell and less eye pains ;) !

Yup, I am using the full RGB option, but somehow, the image is just lacking in contrast and colours on this monitor ! Dunno what to do, I am stuck with it now. The only option is to switch to "Multimedia" preset which offers slighhtly saturated colourss, a little extra contrast, but the reds get oversaturated and everything gets a greenish tint :( !
I just chk for every game whether "Standard" looks good or "multimedia" and then play. But , well, its nowhere near my Bravia with WideCGamut ! Games were so much more beautiful there in terms of colours, but the denser pixel pitxh means a smoother image on the Dell and less eye pains ;) !

Fair enough. I think there's little question that TVs tend to vastly outperform LCDs in this area anyway, but some screens are worse than others. My Samsung LCD TV in the livingroom has an extra wide gamut as well, and it definitely greatly outperforms my Samsung SyncMaster LCD panel (225bw) that I use behind my desk (and where I have my 360 and sometimes test my PS3 in Full HD)

RenegadeRocks, did you check your other video settings (e.g., RGB vs Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, Super-White, etc.).

Also what connection are you using ?

Haven't played the demo yet. I thought Arc would be a good fit for Heavy Rain UI:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/12/cage-initially-wanted-playstation-motion-controller-for-heavy-ra/

"If you are talking about Motion Control, this is something we initially considered for Heavy Rain. The very first version of the game design was based on motion control, but it was not feasible at the time," he said. Dagbladet later helped us confirm via one of Cage's reps that he had hoped to design the game for the PlayStation Motion Controller originally, but felt the tech simply wasn't far enough along.

Cage went on to add, "I have a lot of interest in Sony's motion device and there is a good chance that we announce something about it in the coming weeks."

RenegadeRocks, did you check your other video settings (e.g., RGB vs Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, Super-White, etc.).

Also what connection are you using ?

I am using HDMI. As for Superwhite, I dunno whether its on or off. Will that make a difference to colours n contrast?
Its a monitor, so Superwhite should be turned off?

Games/XMB use RGB output regardless. The video setting to switch to YCbCr (and the super-white option) is for Blu-Ray/DVD. These settings have no effect on video games.

Haven't played the demo yet. I thought Arc would be a good fit for Heavy Rain UI:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/12/cage-initially-wanted-playstation-motion-controller-for-heavy-ra/

That was exactly my thought when playing through the demo, the character control was a bit jerky when you changed direction. Cage's comments sounds encouraging.

Very impressed by the overall graphics of the game, particulary the faces of the characters, at times they look very real.

Had a quick play of the demo last night. I'm all for devs trying new things and like something a bit different occasionally. But I'm a huge cynic and despite the early reviews I know I generally suck at gaming so a new, and perhaps unusual, control method could kill the demo for me early... that's what I was thinking as I started it up.

My worries were misplaced though. It's not perfect, particularly the character control but I'm expecting when you play the full game having movement and camera control separated as they are will make a lot of sense (exploring environments/investigation I guess). Actually the character control is only a little off IMO (define little eh?).

So it's pre-ordered. Actually, I'll be honest. It was already pre-ordered. I get lots of games and play very few of them (sorry Batman AA and inFamous!). What's very clear from early on is how much effort has gone into HR. It oozes high production values. I'm a sucker for things like that.

(patsu, play the demo!)

slider, play Infamous ! Its the best open world game ever ! :)

It's a problem I have. :oops:

I just left:
R&C: ACiT
Crackdown
Condemned 2
Batman AA
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Dragon Age Origins
Fallout 3
Assassin's Creed 2
And a couple more...
With a friend (who is 5000 miles away!) because I hadn't given any of the above any serious time or effort. Some didn't click with me either (ACII).

Sigh, I'll fire up inFamous later today. Thanks man. (And sorry for the OT.)

After playing the demo I have pre-ordered it. There were many small problems (especially the controls), but I want to get into a real story, instead of playing the same stuff over and over again...

Someone mentioned that the outcome is always the same (of the demo), I disagree, after fiddling around you can miss many things and these things will surely miss later on/change the options later on.

But, it is basically Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy on steroids, who did not liked the unofficial prequel will not like Heavy Rain.

BTW, I wanted to order the special edition from Amazon.de, but it is almost 100 EUR! :oops: Thanks, but no thanks!

@patsu

If you have played Indigo Prophecy, get this one! If not, play the demo to see if the controls will be the reason not to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back