Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

You can see really gamey grass to the right, otherwise it looks like a real picture.
Not by a long chalk. Trees on the left look quite strong, but everything else is par for the course for top-end racers this gen. Which is to be expected if its VR focussed, as there'll be sacrifices.

Not by a long chalk. Trees on the left look quite strong, but everything else is par for the course for top-end racers this gen. Which is to be expected if its VR focussed, as there'll be sacrifices.
I still think PD's lighting and artists are on another level (although the lighting in DriveClub is also great). GT6 already looked great in terms of car models and lighting, but GTS looks quite a bit better in the above shots.

PD's lighting and artists may be the best in the business, but if they're targeting VR instead of DC's 30 fps, they won't have as much to work with. If they can produce a game that looks better than DC et al while also rendering twice the framerate and two different camera projections, they'd have to be using some of Nintendo's pixies, or the other devs would have to be proper lazy to not bother getting their games up to scratch!

You just made me think about something.

Is 'vanilla' 60fps the same in terms of resources/performance as a VR 60fps game, which needs two slightly offset views?
We might have covered this in the endless VR threads.

GT Sport will not be "VR only", VR mode can be optimized individually, separated from the "normal" 60 fps mode. As for this vs Driveclub i think it'll be missing the track geometry detail Driveclub has and probably won't have as impressive weather effects but it'll look more realistic than Driveclub (Driveclub is aiming for photorealism anyway) due to lighting and material shaders.

Example, even GT5 can look very realistic:

Last edited:
Didn't answer my question ;)

Computationally speaking i think it's probably easier than rendering in 3D because you don't have to render each viewpoint at full res (each "eye" in VR for a 1080p screen sits at 960x1080 res whereas in 3D that would be 1920x1080 for each viewpoint). I don't know the specifics but i don't think rendering in VR is much more expensive than rendering at 1920x1080 for one frame.

If you want to read more on VR i would suggest reading these two presentations by Nvidia
https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/...works/vr/GameWorks_VR_2015_Final_handouts.pdf
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/events/GDC15/GEFORCE/VR_Direct_GDC_2015.pdf

Is 'vanilla' 60fps the same in terms of resources/performance as a VR 60fps game, which needs two slightly offset views?
As you expect, stereoscopic rendering is trickier, as per the old 3D rendering discussions of old. Remember 3D TVs and that brave new future? Ha ha ha ha ha!

Driveclub is aiming for photorealism anyway
:???: Photorealism == looks like real life. It's not possible to differentiate between real life and a photo graph on an image displayed on a conventional TV. And when TVs are capable of producing real-like images as opposed to photorealistic (higher brightness and contrast etc), we'll have cameras that capture that extra data, making photorealistic as real as reality.

I meant that Driveclub is trying to imitate how a camera would "see" the environment instead of how our eyes do it. Maybe photorealism wasn't the correct word, hyper-realism maybe? Driveclub looks over the top most of the time whereas GT looks more bland, how cars on tracks usually are :)

Oh and about VR, the one major problem with VR is that you need to reduce latency as much as possible and ensure that all frames will be rendered on time, you can't afford frame drops and inconsistent latency with VR because it's really noticeable. Both frame pacing and frame delivery must be on point in order to avoid feeling motion sickness while using VR.

GTS
egialyuglo.gif

Driveclub
tysjrcwllm.gif

^ well, that DC shot is also not from direct controler-controlled gameplay.

Anyways, DC has more "fantastical" landscapes, while GT is grounded in reality. Tracks in real life are not placed in tourist locations. :)

Since GT6 was already 1080p60, I expect massive increase of visual fidelity in trackside detail [cars were already great] now when PD can move from ~0.3-04 TF to 1.8TF.

GT6 was only 1440x1080 and run often pretty far from the desired 60fps, so I think that one of the first target that PD is going to address is a major stability under stress conditions
as well as improved materials, lighting (no more low resolution shadow and similar) and weather related effects (that were somewhat degraded on GT6 in respect to GT5).
Still I hope that they can dedicate the right attention to trackside detail but I think that GT6 was more often brought down by bad IQ than by the sparse background, at least in the courses that weren't a bare face-lifting of their PS2 incarnation.

2 pilots of super GTS atoshi Motoyama and Kohei Hirate were at Polyphony for Christmas party. Some photos of cars rendering and integrate into real life photos...

8TaZO.jpg

bmDfj.jpg

PSC5U.jpg

RfaOz.jpg

XTOpq.jpg

Last edited:
Sony are pretty much best in class for display response rates on TVs. I actually researched it last year before buying my TV. I looked specifically for a display with the lowest response rate I could get for my money and that turned out to be a Sony.

Edit: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

Yeah, low lag is veeeeeeery nice to have in video game. Even my not so smart Samsung tv (not smart tv but have dlna player) with game mode is still very laggy compared to TN PC monitor and my cheap ass dumb HDTV.

Back