Gran Turismo 6

GT Academy winners score podium finish at Dubai 24 Hours 2015 [PlayStation blog]

The worlds of virtual and reality made an incredible overlap this weekend as four Gran Turismo players finished 2nd place in class and 5th overall at the Dubai 24 Hours Race – their prize for winning the 2014 NISMO PlayStation GT Academy.

Having bested hundreds of thousands of PlayStation gamers before proving their potential on the track, GT Academy winners further verified the gamer-to-racer competition by competing in the quickest Pro-Am category of the race and finishing 5th out of a record 95 experienced racing drivers.

Polyphony Digital were hiring staff back in November last year for Gran Turismo 7 (wanted to post this in a GT7 thread, but there is none, if I am not mistaken).

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/polyphony-digital-currently-hiring-gran-turismo-7/

And now we know why and who they hired. They hired Mike Caviezel, former Forza audio lead and Kevin Middelbos the lead UI artist of Driveclub. That's very interesting...

KLCUqqg.jpg

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mike-caviezel/1/29/871

Senior Audio Lead
Polyphony Digital (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
April 2015 – Present (2 months)Venice Beach, CA
Currently a Senior Audio Lead at Polyphony Digital, creating audio for the Gran Turismo racing franchise.

Audio Production Director
Microsoft
2011 – May 2014 (3 years)Microsoft Studios
Audio Production Director at SoundLab, the central audio production resource for Microsoft Studios. SoundLab is a multi-room audio facility dedicated to providing Sound Design & Music for any 1st party game published by Microsoft Studios. Recent games worked on include: Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son Of Rome, Halo 4, Fable:Journey, Forza Horizon, Forza Motorsport 4, Kinect Star Wars, Nike+ Kinect Training.

Responsibilities include:
- Sound Supervision and quality control for all audio content produced by Soundlab
- Sound Supervision for individual titles
- Soundlab staffing, facility design and maintenance
- Sound Design
- Dialog supervision (Scripting, Directing & Implementation)
- Post-Production
- Game Mixing
- Music Mixing
- Music Composition

Audio Lead, Turn10 Studios
Microsoft Game Studios

October 2005 – 2011 (6 years)Redmond, WA
Audio Lead at Turn 10 Studios, a division of Microsoft Game Studios. Provided audio for the Forza Motorsport franchise games, including Forza Motorsport 1,2,3 and 4.

Audio Lead
Sierra Entertainment

2000 – 2004 (4 years)Bellevue, WA
Responsible for all audio creation and implementation for many Sierra games from 2000-2004.

Reactions: scf
Thing still keeps getting updates ... ! Last one is for two new cars though.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if someone still cares about Gran Turismo. It's been what, 2-3 years since the last version - the PS4 has been out since 1.5 years and still no mention about a new game when it should be at the forefront as the exclusive it once was. In the meantime, Team Forza has been pumping out great games on a nearly year by year basis...

I always thought GT was becoming too big and too ambitious for its own good, as the team set the bar so high with its previous games (the 600+ cars etc) that it's becoming harder to reach this target without compromising the quality of assets throughout the game. I think I would prefer if they started new again; start small but deliever a racing game that is true to its core and polished throughout. Bringing out a "big one" isn't going to cut it anymore. Or it will, as it probably will still sell millions simply because there are no real alternatives on PlayStation and Forza is on the wrong console.... :S

It wil be disappointing if we don't get anything coming E3, that is for sure.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if someone still cares about Gran Turismo. It's been what, 2-3 years since the last version - the PS4 has been out since 1.5 years and still no mention about a new game when it should be at the forefront as the exclusive it once was. In the meantime, Team Forza has been pumping out great games on a nearly year by year basis...
I wonder if Sony have decided not to announce a new Gran Turismo until it is definitely within 12 months of release. Particularly with the fiasco that was the DriveClub launch and Microsoft knocking out Forza games left, right and centre.

GT5 was launched 3½ years after the global launch of PS3, it looks like a repeat of that. People got tired of waiting for a new GT sim racing game and picked up Forza/XB360 instead. In particular, Forza 3's massive sales reflect this, IMO.

It boggles the mind that Sony and Polyphony Digital thinks it is a good idea to repeat that business strategy.

They should have had GT 7 as a day one release ! Even if that meant a limited experience/old assets.

Cheers

How would folks feel about a F2P version of GT? Would that even work for their career style? I guess they'd have to have some starter pack to cover "most popular" cars or something. *shrug*

edit: Or... tailor the career around the release schedule for the cars. :p

blah, nevermind.

It boggles the mind that Sony and Polyphony Digital thinks it is a good idea to repeat that business strategy.

Indeed. If I was Sony, I'd seriously give Polyphony a kick in the arse. Sure, it has been magnificient what Polyphony has delievered with all their GT games, but at this point, no one is going to care if every iteration is packed with 1000 cars if the competition brought out 3 games in the same time frame. I for one have lost pretty much all interest I had in the game; if Forza was on PS, chances are I'd be playing that now.

As for F2P; No idea. Not sure I like that kind of model. I think I would prefer them to work on the tracks they have already digitalized - so bringing out a game with lots of tracks is already a win. Then move on to have a few performance classes with alternatives. I kind of like how you have to do the licencening and work your way up, though I'm not sure if this model will make much sense in the future as more and more games let you jump in and have fun without having to play the game like a story mode RPG or something. It's really a pitty about Polyphony - those guys are hugely talented, but I can't believe they require the amount of time they do to make these games. The game has just become too massive for its own good. And with every iteration, they are still struggling with the same flaws that have kind of sticked with the series from the beginning.

F2P could be okay if done right, but I'd still prefer a full game with frequent paid expansion packs instead. The other idea of a new GT every year would be stupid, you'd restart your collection and tuning every year. Do it right the first time on each console generation and expand from there.

TBH, gamers who want car damage and explosions, or have the too-many-cars-I'm-so-confused mentality are free to go play another game. There's too many opinions on the internet that amounts to "They should redesign this game to be the same as this other game I prefer". GT must retain it's uniqueness to retain it's fanbase.

I'm still going back to playing GT6 weekly on PS3 with my new T300RS despite having a good PC and a PS4, I still haven't found any other car simulator that I find as satisfying, and no other game ever last me that long. The 450pp races are as fun as the 700pp, so are the licenses, coffee break, weekly events, GT academy, etc... It's the only racing game where I care more about driving, tuning and discovering cars, than about a fake career or competition. It has a relaxed feel that no other sim-racer duplicated.

Cyan, that's the Vision series which is getting regular additions since launch. They asked each manufacturer to design a dream car just for Gran Turismo. None of them are coming out for real, the goal was to design a car as if they had no budget constraint, no regulations, and they can use experimental technology and materials.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/vgt/

Some are just imaginary future race cars based on their existing designs, but the most insane design is the Chaparral, they made the car with a laser pulse shockwave propulsion.

Cyan, that's the Vision series which is getting regular additions since launch. They asked each manufacturer to design a dream car just for Gran Turismo. None of them are coming out for real, the goal was to design a car as if they had no budget constraint, no regulations, and they can use experimental technology and materials.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/vgt/

Some are just imaginary future race cars based on their existing designs, but the most insane design is the Chaparral, they made the car with a laser pulse shockwave propulsion.
What? I thought it was real. So taht's not the car of the future? Just a GT machination? It sounded cool on paper. It's always a matter of budget then. I have a racing game with a lunar vehicle, actually. :)

What? I thought it was real. So taht's not the car of the future? Just a GT machination? It sounded cool on paper. It's always a matter of budget then. I have a racing game with a lunar vehicle, actually. :)
It's the real engineers of SRT who designed the car, it's not a machination of GT. This is not really different from concept cars with no physical engine that you see at car shows.

Some of the GT Vision cars are eventually built into real physical concept cars, by the way:
http://www.gizmag.com/infiniti-vision-gt-concept/37237/
Another car designed for the virtual world of Gran Turismo has been brought into the physical realm.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ran-Turismo-6-Concept-2020-Vision-GT-Supercar
Nissan Builds Real-Life Gran Turismo 6 Concept 2020 Vision GT Supercar

What started as a simple in-game car model blossomed into a company-wide endeavor for Nissan. Nissan Design Europe started the project, which eventually crossed over to the Japan-based Nissan Technical Center. The concept car was spearheaded by Taisuke Nakamura, from the european design team.

While the car's name implies a next-decade timeline for influence, the Concept 2020 Vision GT is seen by many as a window into the future of the GT-R supercar design. The next GT-R is expected in 2017, according to Auto Express, so the Vision GT could have a legitimate impact on Nissan's auto offerings sooner than expected.

Yeah, that's one more thing that makes Gran Turismo a very special game.

Last edited:
Did they shoot down the rumors for a PS4 release, already?

It's the real engineers of SRT who designed the car, it's not a machination of GT. This is not really different from concept cars with no physical engine that you see at car shows.

Some of the GT Vision cars are eventually built into real physical concept cars, by the way:
http://www.gizmag.com/infiniti-vision-gt-concept/37237/
Another car designed for the virtual world of Gran Turismo has been brought into the physical realm.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ran-Turismo-6-Concept-2020-Vision-GT-Supercar
Nissan Builds Real-Life Gran Turismo 6 Concept 2020 Vision GT Supercar

Yeah, that's one more thing that makes Gran Turismo a very special game.
I knew of drivers that started as Gran Turismo gamers and made it into the professional world, with fine results, like this spaniard guy:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/academy/graduates/lucas/

But cars? Good to know though.

Still, game wise, now they should focus on a true solid experience, like on the PS2. Trying to get to cram a full GT game at 1080p on the PS3, which wasn't even the most capable console last generation, proved to be a bit too daring.

More solid info about GT7 release.
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-to-see-improved-crash-damage-physics-coming-before-2017/
Yamauchi has guaranteed that the seventh chapter will solve many problems related to the physical impacts and simulation of damage, two aspects that have always been taken seriously by fans of this saga. It also confirms a greater number of premium cars in Gran Turismo 7, although – for the moment – Yamauchi-san has preferred not to say too much about figures.

Finally, when asked about the alleged arrival of Gran Turismo 7 in 2017, as initially feared by some sources, it came a blunt denial: “People will never wait so much.
Exactly. We will never wait so much. Give it to me now!!!!

Back