Gran Turismo 7 [PS4]

I still hold my belief that Polyphony nailed the lighting and shaders better than competition.

Artists will still overcome technical limitations. I agree that Polyphony have great lighting and modeling artists and that carries over.

GT6 improved a lot of things over GT5, and it is a truly great driving game.

But the game fizzled out because it was announced suddenly in the middle of the nextgen fever, and then released half a year later for PS3, several weeks after the launch of PS4. Sony IMO released too much PS3 games in 2013, they needed to move few of them to PS4.

It is actually very astonishing how well GT6 holds up next to racing games that are a generation newer. No racing the past generation competes in terms of lighting and realism IMO. Considering the limitations of the PS3 and their targets which included higher resolution than the average game, dynamic whether and day time, 60 fps and such, what Polyphony achieved is far bigger than what games this generation have achieved.
GT6 realism fell apart on low res shadows, low res particles, low res raindrops on windscreen, and low geometry in some environments but all were due to PS3's limitations. Comparing GT6's gameplay with gameplay from Forza 5 and PCars, the latter are more pleasing to the eye, but at the same time they fall short on realistic lighting even though now the gap is narrowing.
I still hold my belief that Polyphony nailed the lighting and shaders better than competition. Comparing it with this gen's racing games is silly. Today's consoles have a lot more power and other elements that were held back by PS3's limitations are done better thus overlapping the overall image quality

Polyphony is still ahead of the competition in some cases. There is a rather glaring omission of dynamic interior shadows for night environments in all next-gen racers, I thought Driveclub would at least have it as well but nope.

klugcqlpqe.gif

Artists will still overcome technical limitations. I agree that Polyphony have great lighting and modeling artists and that carries over.
Depends what you mean by "overcome". They cant overcome every limitation and produce something that is done on a hardware 10 times more powerful. The PS4 and XB1 have the polygon budget for example to render more geometry at 1080p 60fps. There is no way the PS3 could overcome this. GT6 was a game where the artists have overcome as much as possible without removing content and features that required the capabilities of the hardware to offer.

It is actually very astonishing how well GT6 holds up next to racing games that are a generation newer. No racing the past generation competes in terms of lighting and realism IMO.
I agree. However, would you say that other modern racers look cartoony/unreal? The argument isn't that PD has gotten worse, but that everyone else has gotten better. ;)

I still hold my belief that Polyphony nailed the lighting and shaders better than competition. Comparing it with this gen's racing games is silly.
The comparison was made that other games don't look real and only PD can make a realistic racer. With the latest hardware, other devs can also make realistic racers. I bet when GT7 comes out, one could put together an assortment of screenshots/clips from different driving games and no-one would be able to tell by looking which sample was from which game.

I agree. However, would you say that other modern racers look cartoony/unreal? The argument isn't that PD has gotten worse, but that everyone else has gotten better. ;)

The comparison was made that other games don't look real and only PD can make a realistic racer. With the latest hardware, other devs can also make realistic racers. I bet when GT7 comes out, one could put together an assortment of screenshots/clips from different driving games and no-one would be able to tell by looking which sample was from which game.
honestly this is a challenge and a game worth playing. Take videos of all games, mix them up using the same car, see who can distinguish which cut belongs to which game.

That being said, GT6 is a great example of what can be done with not just a lot of talent and experience, but also a massive budget and a generally unheard of amount of development time.
Development time goes a long way to producing some fantastic content and attention to detail, looking at DC as an example, each delay allowed them to amp up the graphics, and eventually after launch they finally got that weather patch in.

I'm not sure how you quantify development time or know their budgets. Each release is an evolution of the previous version. None of these games started from scratch except the first. Poor Evolution could not reuse much from Motorstorm, while PD and T10 get to use anything they want.

I'm not sure how you quantify development time or know their budgets. Each release is an evolution of the previous version. None of these games started from scratch except the first. Poor Evolution could not reuse much from Motorstorm, while PD and T10 get to use anything they want.
Usually the two fall hand in hand. But for some reason I thought they had 5+ years to make 6. Turns out that was GT5.

Well "cartoony" may be too much. Stylized could have been a better word, or probably "not just there yet". But I guess is a way of telling that the lighting isnt as realistic in relative terms. I am pretty sure people come up with such comparisons only because GT is a reference.
I definitely see improvements from other devs especially in Forza 6 although I think PCars "misses the mark" more often. We will see what Polyphony will be able to do on better hardware, but I am pretty sure they will still set their selves apart with more consistency

We really haven't quite reached that graphical saturation point where all racers look the same. Each game sort of has its own look to it as well. If we were only comparing car models then yeah, but environment detail and lighting approach are a different story.

5 years and 10m+ units sold, that's >2m/year - does any other driving franchise come close?

Actually, it's quite a bit more than that considering that PD has published Prologue in 2007 that sold more than 5 million copies and Gran Turismo PSP in 2009 (more than 4 million)

5 years and 10m+ units sold, that's >2m/year - does any other driving franchise come close?
No, that wasn't my point though - having said that it's clear it was a budget well spent ;)
The point is/was PD as talented as they are, it's doubtful that they could have made GT5/GT6 in 1/2 the time frame that they did.

No, that wasn't my point though - having said that it's clear it was a budget well spent ;)
The point is/was PD as talented as they are, it's doubtful that they could have made GT5/GT6 in 1/2 the time frame that they did.
Visually probably yes. Including all that content? No.

The important thing for Polyphony is to come back to 60 fps locked like in PS2 games after two games with tearing and framedrop on PS3 and at 1080p....

Seems like Ps4 is quite a bit easier to handle than Ps3 so i would expect them to deliver 1080p60.

I don't expect perfect 1080p60 in all situations [heavy rain + race start], but I do expect that it will hit 1080p60 in vaaaaast majority of cases.

As for VR mode, there they need to make the framerate perfect [but even there they can use timewarping to insert missing frames if the game dips below 60].

Back