Gran Turismo 7 [PS4]

There's a huge thread on gaf comparing many different games and almost everyone agrees that GT looks the best when it comes to lighting and realism: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=167607225#post167607225

Some gifs from the very same thread (GT6 on Ps3):
GT's ability to look good in select shots doesn't counter the argument that other games are just as capable of approaching photorealism in select shots. The GAF thread you link to has examples of naff GT shots and convincing pCars shots, for example. What's obvious to me is where once upon a time no other game could hold a candle to GT and all looked fake (cartoony), now many of them can produce PR shots and select art that's every bit as realistic as GT. DC's got some incredibly convincing images/clips out there, as has pCars and NFS.

GT's ability to look good in select shots doesn't counter the argument that other games are just as capable of approaching photorealism in select shots. The GAF thread you link to has examples of naff GT shots and convincing pCars shots, for example. What's obvious to me is where once upon a time no other game could hold a candle to GT and all looked fake (cartoony), now many of them can produce PR shots and select art that's every bit as realistic as GT. DC's got some incredibly convincing images/clips out there, as has pCars and NFS.
Yup. Case in point
20aBVcG.jpg

Last edited:
I'm talking about in-game in particular. I agree with Nesh, no other game does it more consistently.

DriveClub is the closest, and at its highs it is the most convincing racer on any platform IMO. I mean just look at this gif!

GT's very strong on the cars, and was ahead of the curve with replay cams. However, the scenery really breaks the illusion more often than not. While playing, it might feel closer to reality than other games where your attention is on the cars and road ahead of you. I imagine folk will argue a lot over that. In terms of overall ability to produce realistic shots though, it's no longer a case that the rest of the competition look cartoony/arcadey. GT actually has real competition and can't lay claim to being undisputed king of either visuals or race experience. Perhaps the only area it's still undisputed is selection of lounge music in menus (?).

Which, with GT being a generation behind, seems pretty obvious and expected! How much PD can achieve with GT7 is to be seen. The weakest aspect of any racing game's lighting is the direct sunlight situation. Overcast and wet and dark looks good on plenty of racers, but the sunlit sections aren't those other areas' equals and tend to reveal the limits of realtime graphics, especially in the scenery.

I find pCARS lighting system to be very nice. But GT6 is more natural. DC has a definite "artstyle" that is aiming more to provide "spectacular" over "realistic".

GT's very strong on the cars, and was ahead of the curve with replay cams. However, the scenery really breaks the illusion more often than not. While playing, it might feel closer to reality than other games where your attention is on the cars and road ahead of you. I imagine folk will argue a lot over that. In terms of overall ability to produce realistic shots though, it's no longer a case that the rest of the competition look cartoony/arcadey. GT actually has real competition and can't lay claim to being undisputed king of either visuals or race experience. Perhaps the only area it's still undisputed is selection of lounge music in menus (?).

Which, with GT being a generation behind, seems pretty obvious and expected! How much PD can achieve with GT7 is to be seen. The weakest aspect of any racing game's lighting is the direct sunlight situation. Overcast and wet and dark looks good on plenty of racers, but the sunlit sections aren't those other areas' equals and tend to reveal the limits of realtime graphics, especially in the scenery.
Well I was thinking that you have a point. Then I realized you are comparing a PS3 game with PS4 games.

Another GT6 difference when it comes to realistic photos is that it employed adaptive software tessellation
i1Qtrd1n0Gzdr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

tesselierung.jpg

As far as i am aware no current racer employees anything similar. Meaning GT6 will most probably have an advantage in every closeup shot.

Another GT6 difference when it comes to realistic photos is that it employed adaptive software tessellation
i1Qtrd1n0Gzdr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

tesselierung.jpg

As far as i am aware no current racer employees anything similar. Meaning GT6 will most probably have an advantage in every closeup shot.
I don't think I've ever seen a polygon edge in Driveclub, surely not on the photo mode.

I don't think I've ever seen a polygon edge in Driveclub, surely not on the photo mode.

I did, you just have to zoom in close enough :p

Let's take a look at one of my 500 Driveclub screenshots for example
18800329366_d94803e448_o.jpg

Pretty evident polygonal edges

photomode? smh
Not sure what's wrong with photomode. I used it to lend to his argument that we can always select shots in which games can look it's best and it's worse.

If you're comparing replays we could do the same:
hWQhH3f.gif

It's not like we play any game like this ;)

Not sure what's wrong with photomode. I used it to lend to his argument that we can always select shots in which games can look it's best and it's worse.

If you're comparing replays we could do the same:

It's not like we play any game like this ;)

The comparison shots he was referring to were actually all in-game direct-feed shots between pCars, F5, and GT6. Photomode edits are obviously quite different, as F5 doesn't look anything like that shot in gameplay. :p

for me no matter how good GT7 will look, it'll suck bad if they don't improve A LOT the sounds. I'm tired of "driving" vacuum cleaners.

The comparison shots he was referring to were actually all in-game direct-feed shots between pCars, F5, and GT6. Photomode edits are obviously quite different, as F5 doesn't look anything like that shot in gameplay. :p
This is in-game (posted by a member in GAF). Seems pretty realistic to me - and this will hardly be the last. Shifty's argument holds imo
I imagine folk will argue a lot over that. In terms of overall ability to produce realistic shots though, it's no longer a case that the rest of the competition look cartoony/arcadey. GT actually has real competition and can't lay claim to being undisputed king of either visuals or race experience.
WgxYlNU.gif

It is actually very astonishing how well GT6 holds up next to racing games that are a generation newer. No racing the past generation competes in terms of lighting and realism IMO. Considering the limitations of the PS3 and their targets which included higher resolution than the average game, dynamic whether and day time, 60 fps and such, what Polyphony achieved is far bigger than what games this generation have achieved.
GT6 realism fell apart on low res shadows, low res particles, low res raindrops on windscreen, and low geometry in some environments but all were due to PS3's limitations. Comparing GT6's gameplay with gameplay from Forza 5 and PCars, the latter are more pleasing to the eye, but at the same time they fall short on realistic lighting even though now the gap is narrowing.
I still hold my belief that Polyphony nailed the lighting and shaders better than competition. Comparing it with this gen's racing games is silly. Today's consoles have a lot more power and other elements that were held back by PS3's limitations are done better thus overlapping the overall image quality

Back