Gran Turismo 5 - gameplay only thread

I have a G25 wheel and I have to say that is't a perfect fit for the game. Btw, if some one wants to race on line, please send me a message. My PSN id is in the profile. I'm hoping for some nice races!

I have my G25 attached to Ironing stand (something along the lines of this), not that stable, but with some mods to the stand it's quite decent (sadly dont have anything else with proper height anywhere near TV). In any way game feels just fine with a wheel, a bit sad that there is no mods for cars that will change steering ratios, since some cars seem to have close to 900 degree of rotation steering... Karting steering feels quite real and really pointy.

Heh, that's how I started as well back in the GT3 days :D I think I still have some pictures out there on the web of this 'setup'. It required a steady hand, but as with many things it comes with some advantages as it teaches you to only 'turn' your wheel, not pull on it, push it, etc. Your muscle control becomes very focussed (I did not make any mods to this setup to make it more stable). Other people couldn't drive with it very well though ... :LOL:

These Sebastian Loeb events are a tough cookie. :) Managed to do the Eiger one though - ABS on 3, the rest off.

The biggest help was turning off the cockpit view though, as that Eiger K Trial track is drop dead gorgeous! Wow! Certainly helped memorising it :)

You need to see it in-game to appreciate the detail, but this gives you at least a bit of an impression.

Nice track. I just got back from Canada. Will get a copy tomorrow. I probably can't get into it until next week or so.

Does anyone know if Modnation Racer and MotorStorm work with the GT wheels ?

In rallies I feel the physics changed most compared to GT4.
GT5 the rally cars feel much heavier, I'm not sure if I like the bit floatier handling of rally cars in GT4 more, but I recall rally racing was more fun in GT4.
GT5 rally might be more realistic, but imo less fun and more difficult.
I do have different wheel I'm playing GT5 with, that must affect the handling a lot too, but in regular racing, the new wheel feels better, and overall GT5 feels much better than GT4, it's just the couple of rally races in GT5 I've tried that haven't yet impressed me as much.

In rallies I feel the physics changed most compared to GT4.
GT5 the rally cars feel much heavier, I'm not sure if I like the bit floatier handling of rally cars in GT4 more, but I recall rally racing was more fun in GT4.
GT5 rally might be more realistic, but imo less fun and more difficult.
I do have different wheel I'm playing GT5 with, that must affect the handling a lot too, but in regular racing, the new wheel feels better, and overall GT5 feels much better than GT4, it's just the couple of rally races in GT5 I've tried that haven't yet impressed me as much.

Did you turn off TCS? I had the exact same feeling you have before I discovered that TCS is at 5 by default, when for that nice rally feel you need to have this off completely. In GT4 Prologue (and later GT4) I loved the Grand Canyon rally track, which had very fine grained gravel, very dry and dusty, which was a lot of fun to drive on, but I think the Eiger K Trial is a good match for it! (I wouldn't mind getting Grand Canyon back later as DLC though!)

Anyway, without TCS the difference isn't that big, I'd say. The old Swiss Alps track had sections that felt similar to the current Eiger K Trial.

Just got to Level 20 :) Also I'm doing the AMG second to last one, with the Gullwing in the Rain on the Ring, in cockpit view. Very intense!

Did you turn off TCS? I had the exact same feeling you have before I discovered that TCS is at 5 by default, when for that nice rally feel you need to have this off completely. In GT4 Prologue (and later GT4) I loved the Grand Canyon rally track, which had very fine grained gravel, very dry and dusty, which was a lot of fun to drive on, but I think the Eiger K Trial is a good match for it! (I wouldn't mind getting Grand Canyon back later as DLC though!)

Anyway, without TCS the difference isn't that big, I'd say. The old Swiss Alps track had sections that felt similar to the current Eiger K Trial.

Just got to Level 20 :) Also I'm doing the AMG second to last one, with the Gullwing in the Rain on the Ring, in cockpit view. Very intense!
That could well be the reason. I do usually check off all the assists except leave TCS at 1 and ABS at 1. Setting to 0 might do the trick, must try it tonight.

Edit: One thing came into my mind about replays and lack of rew/ff. If you save a replay, can you then rewind and forward a saved replay? Haven't yet saved any myself, but that's another thing to try tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it possible to drive this in arcade?
or which modus do I have to choose to get the same race?

I did it in practise, because i have a tonne of mods on it, its a very easy track to get legit times on, i only got non counted laps twice.

EDIT:.

It has every mod you can buy attached to it, using the high RMP turbo, i suspect the mid range turbo might be a bit faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't there racing wheels that attach to your legs while sitting so you don't need a table? My friend had one that hooked around your legs, but I don't know if those are made anymore.

Maybe I could get my gf into GT5 with a force feedback wheel like that. :LOL:

Damn - I just reached my first 1'000'000 yesterday and wasted it on a McLaren F1 and some mods... It handles like an absolute nightmare! :(

Any advice on how to tune it in a way that it becomes usuable? I'm actually thinking of selling it (probably won't get much for it) to get some Ferrari or Lamborghini to complete those events. Really feel gutted at the moment. I will want to own the F1 eventually, but using up my entire savings on what is my 3rd car and still heaps of events still to win/unlock wasn't really the brightest idea... :(

Help! :(

Pretty much everything. It understeers then massive oversteer, too early and much on the throttle and it'll bite your head off...

Just read that there's a McLaren F1 "Stealth". Is that one you can win and is it a premium car? If yes, then perhaps I better sell mine to get some cash back to progress in the game and wait until I win that one?

Pretty much everything. It understeers then massive oversteer, too early and much on the throttle and it'll bite your head off...

Just read that there's a McLaren F1 "Stealth". Is that one you can win and is it a premium car? If yes, then perhaps I better sell mine to get some cash back to progress in the game and wait until I win that one?

All Stealth versions are bonus cars given out by various retailers. They are basically the sames cars but with a stealth paint / all black and they are available from the start for those with the pre-order bonus code.

I haven't driven it yet, so I don't know about the handling, but it's a very small car ... It has some of the craziest stock accelleration in the world, so the kind of behaviour you're describing is to be expected. If you haven't done any tuning to it, I would start with getting soft racing tires for it as that should be a massive help. Another TCS like trick is to change your gearing so that you get a little less traction in the earlier gears. It makes you a bit slower in theory, but while grip is the limiting factor it matters little.

Personally I passed on it because it isn't a car that is really called for by a specific race type. I found the Gallardo much more useful for that purpose (the 'basic' one), which I tuned a bit and handles very well (4WD helps) and is eligible to the Gallardo race on Rome for instance. That also gets you the (1974?) Countach which you can use in various events limited to cars before the 80s / termed classic.

It took a bit of work (the Indy race I managed first try with some blocking, but for the other one I went from 9th to 5th to 2nd to 1st, with a few restarts - I could use the practice though and it got me to level 22 ;) ), but I managed to beat Like the Wind with the Furai, as I expected. Cool :) I also beat the Schwarzwald B Cape Ring race with the SLS now (didn't end up using the R8 that I bought yet, wanted to see if I was up to the challenge), which was a nice challenge also, had great fun and also took a few attempts. I left TCS at 5 but still had to be pretty careful not to spin out that SLS coming out of the sharper turns.

I even tried one of the JGTC races with the Furai, Tokio, and I just blasted away the competition completely. That Furai is a mighty beast - handles great, fantastic brakes and grip, and you can win a great number of races with it.

Just wondering, is there a way to calibrate/adjust the tightness of the G25 through PC?

My G25 appears slighly loose a few degrees from both sides after it centers itself at my PS3 start up. This is loosening is even more when it re centers itself during the GT5 boot.

I am not sure if this was always the case or if its normal.

Can anyone clarify and tell me if there is a way to tighten it if my G25 got loose??

Shouldn't matter - it's just the force feedback shutting off again and then some inertia / gravity causes it to slide to one or the other side a tad. As long as your car goes in a straight line when centered while driving, you're fine.

Shouldn't matter - it's just the force feedback shutting off again and then some inertia / gravity causes it to slide to one or the other side a tad. As long as your car goes in a straight line when centered while driving, you're fine.

Thats a relief. Is there a way though to calibrate in case something happens beyond the ordinary? I have read a few occasions where they had problems and I am a little worried (and porbably a little paranoid too)

Just wondering, is there a way to calibrate/adjust the tightness of the G25 through PC?

My G25 appears slighly loose a few degrees from both sides after it centers itself at my PS3 start up. This is loosening is even more when it re centers itself during the GT5 boot.

I am not sure if this was always the case or if its normal.

Can anyone clarify and tell me if there is a way to tighten it if my G25 got loose??

You're G25 didn't get loose, it's just how it's calibrated for GT5. Different games will have different "dead zones" for the wheel. It's not big at all, and you won't feel much feedback until the weight of the car begins to pull your wheels in one direction or the other.

Back