PlayStation3 + SSD benchmarks

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Phil, Dec 13, 2010.

1. corduroygt

Banned

Ding!Ding!Ding! you're a winner. That 120GB is the cheapest HDD they could make. Take it out and you'll see. Mine was a Toshiba.

Despite being a 5400rpm drive, it's a power hog at 5V and 1.0A. Other 5400rpm drives pull about 0.5A at 5V, and even the 7200 rpm I replaced it with pulls 0.7A at 5V.

2. JardeL

Regular

Great job Phil! Thanks for the benchmarks.

I wonder if these improvements are specific to GT5. Do you have PSN versions of retail games like GT5 Prologue, LBP or inFamous ? It would be good to see some benchmarks of them too.

3. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

Is the only way to not lose your copy-procted saves (seriously, Sony should outlaw those) still to network two PS3s? I actually have that option, but I'd rather avoid the hassle because I'd have to copy all my stuff from one PS3 to the other and then back again to a new hard drive)

4. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

It was suggested that GT5's save would be unlocked in the update coming on tge 20th. I certainly hope so!

5. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

Just swapped the HD yesterday. The backup function also moves the copy-protected savegames. The method with 2 PS3s and a network cable is a lot faster though. Took almost an hour to backup the hdd, even though I erased almost everything in advance (there was a mere 10 Gigabytes worth of stuff left)

6. corduroygt

Banned

Only if you're restoring it to the same PS3. They won't work if you try to restore copy-protected savegames to a different PS3.

7. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

I know. I actually thought it wouldn't work at all until a couple of says ago.

8. Phil

Phil wipEout bastard
    Veteran

No problem.
    I do have quite a few PSN games, but none of the ones you mentioned. However I do have Burnout, Wipeout along with the usual mini games by PixelJunk etc...The only problem there is that I've already locked my old PS3 from using the PSN games. I'll see what I can do to get a few benchmarks though.

9. goonergaz

Veteran

wow, I didn't know that...that's really good news, thanks :)

10. goonergaz

Veteran

Thanks Phil, now we just wait for prices to drop...I would be tempted to change my 250GB HDD for a 80GB SSD when they hit~£80, I'm sure most of the stuff on my HDD is toot lol...it'd certainly tide me over until these drives are more common-place...I spent money to upgrade my launch PS3 to gain a few seconds so to ~half times would be awsome!

11. patsu

Legend

Does the latest firmware still work with SSD ?

12. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

I´m not sure about the very latest firmware but the one before that worked great with Vertex 2. Only the drive was too fast not to have in my pc so I kind of pulled it out of my ps3 and put the original drive back after getting bored with gran turismo 5. :)

That said I see no reason to doubt why it wouldn´t still work. I haven´t heard of any hard drive originated hack or anything that would make Sony ban using any kind of drive.

13. patsu

Legend

I saw a few people complained that their SSDs stop working in 3.72. However I think someone ran RAGE with SSD on PS3 successfully ? May be some compatibility issues with specific models. Will have to dig those posts out. What model is yours ?

EDIT: Found it !
    http://community.us.playstation.com/message/36364031

14. Phil

Phil wipEout bastard
    Veteran

Interesting. I actually haven't since used my SSD in my PS3, so I'm not really sure if it still works or not. What a pitty actually, as I have wondered about buying a cheap SSD for my PS3 lately...

Thanks for the link patsu.

Reading this and other posts there, I do wonder about what good an official PlayStation community is, if there's no one (official) there willing to comment on issues like these.