Gran Turismo 5 - gameplay only thread

Youtube is probably still coming, but you can of course right now already share replays with each other by exporting and then uploading them. Hopefully we can look at friends' replays directly sometime soon though, and yes youtube support would be cool too.

I thought that the export feature only saves as a file? Which means you'd have to export, copy, upload to site, link, download, import, and then watch. Seems pretty intense :p

Actually, it's pretty close to real life. The grip on Karts is largely driven by acceleration , and I never feel any lack of grip. If you feel a lack of grip, it's because you don't know how to drive these karts. I've never had a single problem using brakes, not once.

I wish the game had the youtube uploading so we could analyze replays. I'm sure I could give you some pointers and tips to help you drive. Also, are you playing with a pad, or a wheel?

I'm playing with a pad as my friend doesn't have a wheel. I know my driving is far from perfect, just like my real driving is. But if I drive a real kart I feel the frontwheels gripping, if I start loosing grip, I feel the starting to bounce and skid. You don't feel any of that in the game. It just spins under full throttle for no reason sometimes without giving any feedback in the controlls. The whole feel of karts is way too light anyway. Like you are floating.

Like I said, I think the game is very good. Apart from the karts the other cars I driven have a good feel to them. Probably better than any other racing game I played. I just wonder how realistic it is.

I haven't played with a pad, but with my DFGT, you can easily tell if you're losing grip etc., it actually feels very good to me -- much better than GT5P / Academy TT. I play with traction control off, ABS set to 1 and the wheel set to simulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm playing with a pad as my friend doesn't have a wheel. I know my driving is far from perfect, just like my real driving is. But if I drive a real kart I feel the frontwheels gripping, if I start loosing grip, I feel the starting to bounce and skid. You don't feel any of that in the game. It just spins under full throttle for no reason sometimes without giving any feedback in the controlls. The whole feel of karts is way too light anyway. Like you are floating.

Like I said, I think the game is very good. Apart from the karts the other cars I driven have a good feel to them. Probably better than any other racing game I played. I just wonder how realistic it is.

Well, I can tell you that I feel wheel hop with my G25 in kart racing, especially under heavy load.

Hmm...I wonder if maybe there are some additional aids in place that assist players using a controller over a wheel?

Also, what is your wheel set at? Do you have it set at Amateur, Pro, or Sim?

GT Force Pro/Driving Force Pro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT_Force_Pro#Driving_Force_Pro

I had it at Sim, turned it down to Amateur, didn´t make that big of a difference.
I did other races and license tests with the wheel but this test seems somewhat different.
With the controller Counter steering comes so natural and fast, and i think that is one of the major points, but just going into the first corner i felt i was on ice with the Wheel.

More experiments later.

Billy, have you tried GT5 replays or photo mode in 3D yet ?

No?? I only tested a Kart race in 3D mode!
But I never thought about that photo mode is 3D as well...cool!
Have to check it out, because graphics in photomode is really ...err...photo-realistic :D

In this case it´s the TGTT Lotus challenge, holy ice skating, with the wheel i was all over the place, hard to even make the first corner. Switched to the Controller and regained control, maybe a bit to sideways, but still.

Some of the cars feel really twitchy with the wheel.
A lot depends on the tyres too, with hard wheels you really skid all over the place if not careful with the gas, steering and brakes!
Haven't yet tried the TGTT Lotus Challenge, but some of the price cars do come default with hard sports wheels, the first thing to do is buy some medium or soft wheels if you intend on racing the shorter races with them, at least if you're not a top driver.

tha_con said:
Well, I can tell you that I feel wheel hop with my G25 in kart racing, especially under heavy load.

Yeah same here. Karting with the wheel seems very realistic, and I've karted a fair bit (though max 80km/h, these go to 120km/h)

Oh-kay, so Driving Force Pro can also sense the same thing as G25. No need to look at G25/27 now. ^_^

The G25/27 is a nice wheel but way too expensive for you. The main thing it adds that the DF Pro GT doesn't have is an H shifter and clutch pedal. It's also quieter.

You have the DF Pro GT and the DF Pro. Both are pretty good but the latter is pretty old now so should be really cheap. For the DF Pro GT you can get some good deals, I think ranging between $49-$149, depending on your luck.

I'm quite jealous of everyone who is playing this with a wheel. The driving model and feedback beg for a wheel setup. I'll have to see how I can be creative with my home setup to get one going.

Well, if it's any consolation, I got jealous at the Gaffers who were enjoying the game when others were bitching about the graphics. It looks like Polyphony licked the driving mechanics (although the RPG part may be too rigid). After looking at some more user videos, I could roughly tell the driving physics looks accurate enough. So decided to give it a try.

Would like to revisit my past shenanighans on the road (e.g., drifting on Highway 1 in the wrong lane, right beside the cliff near Big Sur at night; that rain storm speed driving to rush a friend to O'Hare airport ^_^). What I really want to try is 3D GT5 with a driving wheel. :(

I'm quite jealous of everyone who is playing this with a wheel. The driving model and feedback beg for a wheel setup. I'll have to see how I can be creative with my home setup to get one going.
I haven't played with a DS3 but it really feels great with my DFGT set to simulation. The further I get, the more I love this game. It's by far the best feeling GT IMHO.

Aren't there racing wheels that attach to your legs while sitting so you don't need a table? My friend had one that hooked around your legs, but I don't know if those are made anymore.

Aren't there racing wheels that attach to your legs while sitting so you don't need a table? My friend had one that hooked around your legs, but I don't know if those are made anymore.

If they are made, they certainly aren't worth it. I don't know, there's just no better experience than using a wheel + wheel stand pro (unless you have thousands of dollars). I juts can't imagine anything strapping to your legs or whatever actually working well (or being relatively stable). I know I can't stand my 360 wheel because of it.

That'd be uncomfortable and unstable with force feedback.

I have my G25 attached to Ironing stand (something along the lines of this), not that stable, but with some mods to the stand it's quite decent (sadly dont have anything else with proper height anywhere near TV). In any way game feels just fine with a wheel, a bit sad that there is no mods for cars that will change steering ratios, since some cars seem to have close to 900 degree of rotation steering... Karting steering feels quite real and really pointy.

Back