Gran Turismo 5 - gameplay only thread

I only have a question: does collision also evolve in an "RPG way" as you progress through the game?

I've heard lots of bad things about it (using other cars to brake, etc.). Any comparative (GT5) videos?

wwk77l.jpg

Uh uh, cardboard is cheaper... :???:

So far my impressions are that the damage seems rather generous in A-spec mode, in particular. But it also depends on your car, and your chassis does seem to suffer from every hit you take (which you find out of you go in to fix it - costs can go up from the $20.000 for a new car to something well beyond the price of your car).

I've been trying a few races from Beginner to Expert (unlocked those fast thanks to the Special Events) and races are extremely short stlil. I'm curious now what Extreme will offer.

You should be able to get the one I am using, the Driving Force Pro / GT for about $49. That's still a good Force Feedback wheel with 900 degree steering radius support, and I heartily recommend it, have been using it myself for years.

EDIT: 3 hours until my son wakes up. I'm not going to be the best dad tomorrow I fear .. :S

Thanks, I'll look into it.

For reference:

Beginner
Sunday Cup
FF challenge
World Compact
LightWeight K Cup
Japanese Classics
Vitz Race
European Classic Car Championship
World Classic Car series
FR Challenge

Amateur
Clubmap Cup
European Hot Hatch Championship
NR-A Roadster Cup
Pick-Up Truck Challenge
Japanese 90s Challenge
Tous France Championnat
Festival Italia (I won an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 '65 / Standard)
Classic Muscle Car Championship
Super Car Nostalgia Cup

Professional
Mini Challenge
Muscle Car Championship
Supercar Festical
Lupo Cup
80s Festival
Lamborghini Exclusive
British Lightweights
La Festa Cavallino (I won a Ferrari California '08 / Premium)
Gran Turismo World Championship

Expert
Tuning Car Grand Prix
Schwarzwald League A
MR Sports Cup
Historic Racing Car Cup
Turbo Race of Turbo Sports
Gallardo Trophy
Japanese Championship
Gran Turismo All Stars
Polyphony Digital Cup

Extreme
Schwarzwald League B (Lv.20)
Like the Wind (Lv.21)
Nascar Series (Lv.21)
European Championship (Lv.22)
Deutsche Tourenwagen Challenge (Lv.22)
Super GT (Lv.22)
American Championship (Lv.23)
Formula GT World Championship (Lv.23)
Dreamcar Championship (Lv.24)

I'm actually going to hazard a guess that we'll get something after this, but we'll see.

Alright, so I'm going to take Shifty's advice and use the Suzuki Liana on the TGTT. The only problem is you have to unlock the TGTT for arcade mode, which means you need to get first on the TG Challenge (Sambabus Race).

Yeah. But it's not so hard - you just need to learn the track and the car a bit. I thought it was great fun. :) And very good in the wacky spirit of Top Gear too.

These guys are making a nice guide already about what rewards you get. The most interesting ones are the ones you get for completing a whole series, basically a blanc cheque for any car of a particular level. Choose wisely. ;) (that Ferrari example they give costs 1.500.000, so it's a nice bonus for completing all Professional series).

http://translate.google.com/transla...tions/solution-de-gran-turismo-5.html&act=url

Incidentally, I'm a little disappointed with how many cars barely have tuning options. At the very least being able to chip-tune the engine would have been nice. Now small cars seem mostly to be limited to brake controller and tires.

Yeah. But it's not so hard - you just need to learn the track and the car a bit. I thought it was great fun. :) And very good in the wacky spirit of Top Gear too.

These guys are making a nice guide already about what rewards you get. The most interesting ones are the ones you get for completing a whole series, basically a blanc cheque for any car of a particular level. Choose wisely. ;) (that Ferrari example they give costs 1.500.000, so it's a nice bonus for completing all Professional series).

http://translate.google.com/transla...tions/solution-de-gran-turismo-5.html&act=url

Incidentally, I'm a little disappointed with how many cars barely have tuning options. At the very least being able to chip-tune the engine would have been nice. Now small cars seem mostly to be limited to brake controller and tires.

I actually appreciate the realism in not allowing every car to have every mod. It was a bit over the top in GT4, and the fact that they're approaching it from a more grounded perspective is better, IMO.

I got a 370z last night, and man it was niiiiice. Put some mods on it, added a nice CF hood, and then flew around the track. I was surprised at how wild the car is, it was great fun to race around, lol.

I agree that realism counts for more. I remember sticking a level 3 turbo or NA upgrade, whatever that was, in a Fiat 500 in GT3, producing hundreds of BHP, yet it still accelerated terribly. I'd appreciate if a car has limits to tunability based on real potential, as that'll affect purchasing choice. This is a game for car nuts, and knowing what you can do with what car is part of that!

edit: Found this video drivethrough (like a walkthrough, only in a car) with the Stig taking a Ferrari round the track. I'd like to see how his line compares with the race line created in game, as they say the Stig takes a route very different to F1 drivers.

I agree that realism counts for more. I remember sticking a level 3 turbo or NA upgrade, whatever that was, in a Fiat 500 in GT3, producing hundreds of BHP, yet it still accelerated terribly. I'd appreciate if a car has limits to tunability based on real potential, as that'll affect purchasing choice. This is a game for car nuts, and knowing what you can do with what car is part of that!

Well I agree, but so many people have their cars chipped, some even let it be done by the dealer. A friend of mine has a 207 RC, and I had expected I'd at least be able to chip-tune my 207 in the game. But perhaps it's not possible. My disappointment would have been smaller of course if this didn't mean I had to get a non-Premium Yaris for the Yaris cup though. ;)

edit: Found this video drivethrough (like a walkthrough, only in a car) with the Stig taking a Ferrari round the track. I'd like to see how his line compares with the race line created in game, as they say the Stig takes a route very different to F1 drivers.

Funny how this track is now completely familiar to me ... (and you never really get a great impression of it from the replays on the show, by the way) ... :D The only line that I do differently so far is Hammerhead, where he lets the car run extremely wide presumably to pick up a lot of speed on that section. It's probably the best way to do it, I haven't really driven a fast car there yet.

I say I think that a lot of it can be really normal, BUT, it's interesting to hear what other people like. As they say one person's trash is another person's treasure. Personally I find tuning the car an interesting option but I don't like messing up with them much.

I don't have the game and haven't tried neither of these, but am enthusiastic about the cars I really like in my games, magazines and the like. I also prefer to tweak the complex mechanical settings than editing how the car looks or add art, which except for the colour, I don't usually mind about.

tkf, playing using a controller can be more comfortable at times but what you are describing shouldn't happen. In fact, quite the contrary. It's easier to play using the wheel.

There should be plenty of info online for Advanced Wheel settings and GT5. I don't know if the game allows people to tweak them though. But I have F1 2010 and you can. Plus, it works.

Played this & Forza 3 back to back (using the same car, Ferrari F40)....all I can say is its a LOT easier to drive in Forza, hell I went through the entire nordschleife half asleep (its already 3 am) & didn't loose control of my car even once....and this was with all assists turned off.

I've always felt that Forza3 has had some hidden assists over which the player has no control, with GT I can't even look away for a split second without getting my a*s handed to me. Once you play both games back to back you'll realize just how much of a difference there is in term of car physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come i find some of the tracks way harder with the wheel that the controller :(

What exactly are you finding harder to do?

Anyway, the main reason you'll find some of these harder is because going from lock to lock with a controller is not only immediate, but is considerably easier than turning the wheel to the appropriate degree to facilitate the turn.

What exactly are you finding harder to do?

Anyway, the main reason you'll find some of these harder is because going from lock to lock with a controller is not only immediate, but is considerably easier than turning the wheel to the appropriate degree to facilitate the turn.

In this case it´s the TGTT Lotus challenge, holy ice skating, with the wheel i was all over the place, hard to even make the first corner. Switched to the Controller and regained control, maybe a bit to sideways, but still.

Some of the cars feel really twitchy with the wheel.

In this case it´s the TGTT Lotus challenge, holy ice skating, with the wheel i was all over the place, hard to even make the first corner. Switched to the Controller and regained control, maybe a bit to sideways, but still.

Some of the cars feel really twitchy with the wheel.

Hmm...I wonder if maybe there are some additional aids in place that assist players using a controller over a wheel?

Also, what is your wheel set at? Do you have it set at Amateur, Pro, or Sim?

I played the game a few hours at my friends place with all aids off but only tc and abs on 1 but I wonder how realistic this game is. It plays very nice I think but it doesn't feel realistic to me. Now I never drove Ferrari's so I got no clue how they are supposed to handle but I did the karting event and anybody that ever drove a kart knows that how karts in this game handle has nothing to do with real life. They spin way too fast, no ''weight'' on the steering and front wheels, general lack of feel of grip while even rental karts with shit tyres have a ton of grip etc. Weirdest thing was than you can drive the first track without braking but if you try that handling is shit. But if you just keep on going full throttle and just tap the brakes once in a while, even when you don't have to, all is fine.

I'm an idiot - I just noticed that I can tune my Vitz all over the place, just was looking in the wrong section (the one that shows the parts you have installed rather than what is available for you to buy. I can do all sorts of stuff to my Vitz and I fully intend to make this something special. :LOL:)

I played the game a few hours at my friends place with all aids off but only tc and abs on 1 but I wonder how realistic this game is. It plays very nice I think but it doesn't feel realistic to me. Now I never drove Ferrari's so I got no clue how they are supposed to handle but I did the karting event and anybody that ever drove a kart knows that how karts in this game handle has nothing to do with real life. They spin way too fast, no ''weight'' on the steering and front wheels, general lack of feel of grip while even rental karts with shit tyres have a ton of grip etc. Weirdest thing was than you can drive the first track without braking but if you try that handling is shit. But if you just keep on going full throttle and just tap the brakes once in a while, even when you don't have to, all is fine.

Actually, it's pretty close to real life. The grip on Karts is largely driven by acceleration , and I never feel any lack of grip. If you feel a lack of grip, it's because you don't know how to drive these karts. I've never had a single problem using brakes, not once.

I wish the game had the youtube uploading so we could analyze replays. I'm sure I could give you some pointers and tips to help you drive. Also, are you playing with a pad, or a wheel?

Youtube is probably still coming, but you can of course right now already share replays with each other by exporting and then uploading them. Hopefully we can look at friends' replays directly sometime soon though, and yes youtube support would be cool too.

Back