Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

I think muted colors if done right can look really good. Some examples, Metal Gear Solid games, Assasin's Creed, RE5, KZ2 to name a few.

yes this game is definitely looking like something from last gen with the color palette, comeon guys its been established that "nextgen" requires everything to look brownish. Seriously nice to see them expand the palette though. DOFs far too strong though, its OK during cut scenes etc but during actual gameplay is too much of a distraction

I don't mind the strong DOF if it's only enabled when "aiming." As at least when aiming, the game can pretty easily assume you're actually looking and focusing where you're aiming.

Any other time, I'm starting to absolutely hate any kind of DOF. Well, cinematics are okay, but during gameplay, it's just jarring and unnatural. Camera based DOF (cinema) just isn't remotely the same as DOF as seen from our own eyes. Well assuming you have more than 1 eye that is. :D

Especially jarring in FPS games when not used only for aiming.

Regards,
SB

I really really like DOF in UC2,they nailed it.But their co founder i think said something like the DOF that they use is impossible on 360,its probably PR but im still wondering is good DOF expensive on xenos since they are doing it on spus,can somebody more knowledgeable tell me?This Gears 3 DOF field looks very very good in my opinion,similar to UC2s.

I really really like DOF in UC2,they nailed it.But their co founder i think said something like the DOF that they use is impossible on 360,its probably PR but im still wondering is good DOF expensive on xenos since they are doing it on spus,can somebody more knowledgeable tell me?This Gears 3 DOF field looks very very good in my opinion,similar to UC2s.

Careful with the comparisons, as this is a GoW3 thread, and with E3 approaching, we should all be on our best behaviour!

Careful with the comparisons, as this is a GoW3 thread, and with E3 approaching, we should all be on our best behaviour!

Hehe no i just wanted to ask someone with more knowledge then me about cost of good depth of field,UC2 was mentioned because it uses one of the best i have seen,especially on consoles so,you know,just curios,no troll intended :LOL:

Saw some big lighting inconsistency between the shots, also you can pretty much tell the ones with the flatter lighting also have visible aliasing. Dom holding that rifle is quite obviously an ingame shot.

Are those direct feed or bullshots? Isn't there no aliasing?
You mean, supersampled shots? Isn't it obvious.

Saw some big lighting inconsistency between the shots, also you can pretty much tell the ones with the flatter lighting also have visible aliasing. Dom holding that rifle is quite obviously an ingame shot.
Yeah, lighting is brighter on a clear day than in a cloudy one. Who would've thought? :LOL:

Epic are doing what they did with previous games in the series with their bullshots.
These are not just rendering at a higher resolution + downscaled like some ppl think.
but using higher res,higher quality textures, higher AF, a different higher quality lighting model pipeline (L. Scofield may laugh but the jokes on him ;) )
Like I said before GOW1 came out, only to be told by posters on this forum No, no no I was wrong, only to be proven that I was actually correct when the game did ship, there is a lot of deception here with their screenshots, until ppl kick up a major fuss theyll keep on screwing the public

Some of the shots look touched up quite a bit, the direct feed stuff looked more rough by comparison. Still pretty but the direct feed stuff doesn't really blow what's already on the market out of the water.

Epic are doing what they did with previous games in the series with their bullshots.
These are not just rendering at a higher resolution + downscaled like some ppl think.
but using higher res,higher quality textures, higher AF, a different higher quality lighting model pipeline (L. Scofield may laugh but the jokes on him ;) )
Like I said before GOW1 came out, only to be told by posters on this forum No, no no I was wrong, only to be proven that I was actually correct when the game did ship, there is a lot of deception here with their screenshots, until ppl kick up a major fuss theyll keep on screwing the public

Everybody uses bullshots. Newsflash, GT5 doesn't really run in 2500X1600 like the shots PD releases.

Your other accusations are harder to get a handle on. I believe somebody here once mentioned Uncharted 2 bullshots use higher LOD distance textures than you would see in the real game (all textures replaced with highest LOD I think?). That sounds like more what you're talking about.

The shots dont even look that amazing or so much better than the direct feed though. I mean why cry about this and not the RIDICULOUS GT5 shots always posted around the internet. There's a much bigger gulf between what the real game looks like on your TV during gameplay there than these Gears of War shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
...there is a lot of deception here with their screenshots, until ppl kick up a major fuss theyll keep on screwing the public

The shots dont even look that amazing or so much better than the direct feed though. I mean why cry about this and not the RIDICULOUS GT5 shots always posted around the internet. There's a much bigger gulf between what the real game looks like on your TV during gameplay there than these Gears of War shots.

Problem is the bullshotery has been through the roof for each gen and the fans have praised it and defend the bullshotery so it probably aint going to change in the future. Also GT5 ups a lot more than just resolution for promo taking it wildly beyond replay visuals.

Back