MS acquires rights to Gears of War franchise; Black Tusk Studios to take over series

AlNom

Legend
...including rights to all existing and future games, entertainment experiences and merchandise. In addition, we are excited to announce that Black Tusk Studios in Vancouver, BC will take over development of the “Gears of War” franchise and that Rod Fergusson, former Director of Production at Epic Games on the “Gears of War” franchise, will join Microsoft and play a key studio leadership role at Black Tusk on the development of the franchise going forward.
http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-microsoft-studios-gears-of-war

Well then.

Other bits from short Q&A:

Over twenty-two million units have been sold across all “Gears of War” titles worldwide, grossing over $1B dollars (US).
we will collaborate closely with Epic to ensure the inclusion of the Unreal Engine technology into the “Gears of War” franchise going forward remains consistent with the high quality fans have come to expect from the franchise.
We hope to be able to share more news about “Gears of War” later this year.
“Epic Games has reached an agreement to sell the ‘Gears of War’ intellectual property rights to Microsoft.
“Epic remains totally dedicated to supporting Xbox One and is licensing the Unreal Engine 4 technology to Microsoft in support of their future projects.”

They're now saying the Black Tusk's new IP was just a concept and not a real game, even tho they clearly stated that it was a brand new IP game at E3.

Gears of War's new home, Black Tusk Studios, may come as a surprise to Xbox fans who watched Microsoft's press conference from E3 2013. It was there where Spencer teased a new project from Black Tusk, a sleek, stealthy action game with no name.

"The thing we showed at E3 last year, it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece," Spencer said, calling it "an asset" created by the team to get their creative juices flowing, not necessarily an in-development game.

"The studio has really been incubating different ideas over the past six to nine months on what they might work on," he said, "but the discussion with Epic obviously didn't start yesterday. We've been in this discussion for a while. The leadership team there has known for a while."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/5345342/gears-of-war-xbox-one-microsoft-epic-games-rod-fergusson

So Microsoft used to pay a rent to Epic to cockblock the Gears franchise from appearing in other platforms, but now they decided to pay up the whole thing to cockblock the franchise for good.

I have an honest question: is Gears a vaulable IP in 2014? Aren't people getting tired of shallow 3rd person bro-shooters?

Black Tusk can't be that happy, no trust with a new IP, just someone else's aging baby. At least 343 will have someone to make fun of if they screw it up.

MS is pushing heavily for US-focused franchises yet again. Shame that their 1st party offering is so limited.

Cool! I am happy that Gears still live and that it gets an AAA exclusive title treatment....hope they go a bit back to the roots...Gears 1 is still a great game imo!

That's kind of a megaton, especially because it was a franchise that Microsoft "had to" buy and didn't til now.

I wasn't much into GeoW, but Gears 1 -especially- and GeoW 2 were very good games whose gameplay mechanics became standard.

Many girls and guys I know from the XBL played and enjoyed Gears, and even casuals like a real life friend who had never purchased a console, enjoyed it to death, he told me, when he purchased GeoW 1 with his Xbox 360.

It was a system seller even for casuals, but it's also true that when he bought the game and the console, the X360 was priced at 200€ or less.... That's another story though.

Good move. Buy everything that can be exclusive to you. Now that they don't have the most powerful console (which doesn't matter if the software is good and the console is capable enough), go for the exclusives.

The best Xbox One exclusive to me is Powerstar Golf and I can't wait for Powerstar Golf 2, for instance.

It'll be interesting to see if Black Tusk can re-invigorate the series after the last installment of the series was such a let-down, at least by the standards of the prior iterations of the series.

Gotta wonder about the art direction too since it's a new team aside from Rod Fergusson, and Gears 1-3 kept changing bit by bit.

Some sort of item/weapon/armour/character stat progression would keep things less monotonous throughout the campaign I suppose. Judgment was rather boring.

Gears of Borderlands? Character progression is definitely in vogue. Plus it gives the option to microtransaction advancement...Grinds of War. :p

Was thinking more like Dead Space or Binary Domain where you can upgrade over the course of the game, not necessarily random weapon drops. :)

edit:

e.g. damage, reload speed, accuracy, clip size, health, regen rate, etc.

Active reload is nice and all, and that can just be another feature of the weapon one can upgrade such as a wider window to activate/slower tick, even bigger bonus, longer time of effect.

I actually would like games like this evolve to include, outside of the single player campaign, a persistant online universe with an inter-related and dynamic set of objectives for solo and team-based PvP, as well as single player and co-operative PvE. In effect, every type of gameplay one engages in in this online environment would contribute to your faction and successfully completing objectives would actually affect the overall state of the world and would materially affect the content generated by the servers for players of each faction.

It's an existing IP. Sales are quite likely to be better for any Gears game out of Black Tusk compared to whatever new game they were developing.

Just how many other big new IPs did we get last gen that sold well? Last of Us was a big success in every way, and of course Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Batman Arkham stuff, Resistance and Infamous. There are countless failures on the other side, so it makes sense to avoid risk. Also, the Gears IP may let them get away with innovating here or there, I mean just look at the Tomb Raider reboot.

Methinks MMO might be too ambitious for the next title. I'd like to see them iterate further upon Horde 2.0 at least. Judgment's Survival was rather anaemic.

Overrun 2.0 with dedicated servers could be rather neat though.

I don't think Resistance did that well. But you've also overlooked some. Borderlands. Red Dead Redemption wasn't a new IP but sold way better than the former (which was a moderately successful IP). Minecraft. Motorstorm sold as much as LoU. LBP sold similarly well. Dark/Demon Souls was big in impact if not gangbuster sales.

A good game is still going to sell. The only problem is publishers not knowing what a good game is, so recycling proven concepts. And as Gears showed, a new generation is a good time to launch a new IP, especially one based on new play tech not possible on previous hardware.

I don't think Resistance did that well.
It didnt, part 3 sold less than 2 million
then again the last gears of war game also has sold under 2 million as well
Like I predicted for COD, I think the franchise is on the wane

Resistance was a successful new IP if it got to part 3 :)
Batman did it too, and if you count Infinite then Bioshock as well.

Borderlands is at part 2, right? RDR was an existing IP, so it was probably getting at least some boost from the success of the previous game. Minecraft never got a part 2 and the independent model makes it a different case anyway. LBP is at part 2 as well.

Also consider that most of the successful new IPs were introduced by studios with a relatively good track record. In these cases there was a loyal fan base to draw upon as well; I mean how many people would have cared for Last of Us if it was from a new team? But Naughty Dog will immediately get more attention and better expectations.

So my point is, Gears is a franchise that has already established itself with a fandom and the potential for at least a 2-year release cycle. MS also has Halo 4 as an example of a game more or less living up to its predecessors. It makes all kinds of sense for a new studio to abandon a new IP for an established one as its first game, especially if Epic is no longer interested in any sequels.

It makes some sense, but not all kinds. I'd rather pick a new IP with the potential to do well then a franchise that looks like it's on its way out, although a new generation with new visual schwing will no doubt revitalise it. It's probably safer to create a new iteration in a franchise next-gen with the safe assumption of reasonable sales then chance it on a new IP with potentially more sales overall (no franchise fatigue) but also the possibility of very limited sales.

I think people are being a bit harsh about this; Microsoft need more high value IP.

Creating a new IP that can sell 6mil+ is fucking tough, so it's understandable that they would buy this IP and turn one of their new studios into a GeoW studio.

Outside of Halo and Forza what other big IP do they have?

Back