Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Every game uses fake DOF as they're just blurring the existing image instead of rendering it via proper lens shaders...

How about JC2 with Bokeh on NV GPGPU?

Anyway I hope for this kind of DOF soon... sometime.

sbokeh1.jpg

Looking again at the new pictures...I have the feeling that something is wrong with the color of the vegetation...it seems to be too green, or so.
Maybe I am just a little bit untrained to these flashy colors in my Gears...
yes this game is definitely looking like something from last gen with the color palette, comeon guys its been established that "nextgen" requires everything to look brownish. Seriously nice to see them expand the palette though. DOFs far too strong though, its OK during cut scenes etc but during actual gameplay is too much of a distraction

Lets be honest there are more colorful games than the ones with limited color palate. [Heck even KZ2 became colorful just because of fan demand]

Sometimes you just need less color to go right with the artstyle. [limited color palate didn't stop SOTC from being a beautiful game] I've always believed that Gears is one franchise that could do away with overtly fluffy colors. The goth look that the first game created was mostly destroyed in the 2nd game due to all the overbright daylight areas. The broader colors too came somewhat close to destroying the feel but they didn't actually do any any harm as they were just right ;) ....but any more colors than what Gears 2 already had, and I'll be seriously disappointed.

Gears 1 was actually the first game this gen to do away with overly colorful environments & go the destroyed beauty look with somewhat dull & depressing colors/look. The roots of "nextgen" filter trace back to this game...so surely it can do better than trying to do something that other games do.

Don't go too harsh on me...this is just my inner Gears fanboy who's complaining cause he was somewhat disappointed by Gears 2 not having a single map that looked & felt even remotely close to how Bullet Marsh,Old Bones,Escalation,Mausoleum and Fuel Depot did in Gears 1. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the closing chapter of the Marcus trilogy, one would expect some new themes and just a bit more complexity in the story than huge men shooting things with big guns ;) I suppose the greenery represents some kind of a new start, the promise of a peaceful life or something.

Lets be honest there are more colorful games than the ones with limited color palate. [Heck even KZ2 became colorful just because of fan demand]

Sometimes you just need less color to go right with the artstyle. [limited color palate didn't stop SOTC from being a beautiful game] I've always believed that Gears is one franchise that could do away with overtly fluffy colors. The goth look that the first game created was mostly destroyed in the 2nd game due to all the overbright daylight areas. The broader colors too came somewhat close to destroying the feel but they didn't actually do any any harm as they were just right ;) ....but any more colors than what Gears 2 already had, and I'll be seriously disappointed.

Gears 1 was actually the first game this gen to do away with overly colorful environments & go the destroyed beauty look with somewhat dull & depressing colors/look. The roots of "nextgen" filter trace back to this game...so surely it can do better than trying to do something that other games do.

Don't go too harsh on me...this is just my inner Gears fanboy who's complaining cause he was somewhat disappointed by Gears 2 not having a single map that looked & felt even remotely close to how Bullet Marsh,Old Bones,Escalation,Mausoleum and Fuel Depot did in Gears 1. :)

I feel nearly the same. I don't mind games with muted color schemes...in fact I typically prefer the looks of those games and I still think that Gears1 looks cool!
But I also like colorful games - if it fits to them (for instance UC2,R&C).
But to each his own I guess and yeah, I also thought that at the end KZ2 had sometimes too much colors (which I believe as well was a direct response to all the "greyzone" talk of the media).

BTW, question to all tech ninjas out there:

Is it difficult to implement different color schemes? Would be cool if devs alowed gamers to choose their prefered style!

I know that UT3 alowed you to setup the color scheme a little bit in the video options on console...but this is the only game I can remember! UC gives you a bonus (after beating the game once) to include a "nextgen" filter - but it looks shit!

I know that UT3 alowed you to setup the color scheme a little bit in the video options on console...but this is the only game I can remember! UC gives you a bonus (after beating the game once) to include a "nextgen" filter - but it looks shit!
Thats mostly likely due to it being shit :) After youve watching a film in color why would you turn it into a b+w one, ok it maybe nice fo a couple of minutes as a change to convey something, but it can easily wear out its welcome.
yes what youre wanting to due is very easy
see a couple of seconds here in this video the sepia tone
www.zedzeek.com/junk/CC_13-06-2006.avi
all u need to due is red the pixels color workout its luminance and then apply whatever filter you want with it

Color correction using a lookup table is fairly simple, but it's an artistic process. Opening up the controls for the gamer is a strange idea ;) Then again Gears 1 did have settings for muted and vibrant colors.

There's always the option of changing your TV's settings though...

I feel nearly the same. I don't mind games with muted color schemes...in fact I typically prefer the looks of those games and I still think that Gears1 looks cool!
But I also like colorful games - if it fits to them (for instance UC2,R&C).
But to each his own I guess and yeah, I also thought that at the end KZ2 had sometimes too much colors (which I believe as well was a direct response to all the "greyzone" talk of the media).

BTW, question to all tech ninjas out there:

Is it difficult to implement different color schemes? Would be cool if devs alowed gamers to choose their prefered style!

I think muted colors make games more atmospheric sometimes.

Sometimes it does, yes, but sometimes I just ask myself what the hell the designer were thinking. I'm playing the new Prince of Persia game right now. There are actually some rather nice looking environments in that game (and Ubisoft's Anvil engine even got a few upgrades, like SSAO and god-rays. I also love how the Prince's biceps actually contracts and bulges when his arms move.), but the muted palette kinda ruins everything. Sure, it's supposed to be a palace in the desert, but that didn't stop The Sands of Time from being vibrant (or the Mummy movies). As it is the game looks mostly dull.

I played Gears1 on "vibrant", because everything else looked like ass IMO.
Yes, I absolutely had to do that or my eyes would start bleeding.

That was what I call "the grey side of games". Killzone 2 is one of the worst looking games because of that, in my opinion, and the overuse of filters too, but that's another thing.

I do have a feeling we are going to see gears franchise back next gen only then taking place in the pendulum war era where people fought each other maybe some emergence day stuff.

Like the way they designed the primitive locust character and weapons.
7725gearofgearsmain.jpg

Yes, I absolutely had to do that or my eyes would start bleeding.

That was what I call "the grey side of games". Killzone 2 is one of the worst looking games because of that, in my opinion, and the overuse of filters too, but that's another thing.
If KZ 2 is one of the worst looking game i'm Jesus Christ.
Don't say thing ridiculous like this please >.> Maybe you can't enjoy the art direction of KZ 2 but don't say that is one of the worst looking game, is a bullshit.

What's the difference? If one doesn't like the art direction, it seems reasonable for that person to think the game looks like crap. Ultimately, it's a fairly subjective thing. Don't get so defensive.

I think it's getting to be that time of year that the mods will start having to work overtime on clearing game specific threads of posts that mention other games. ;)

Remember guys, try to keep other games out of game specific threads. There are plenty of tech type threads where comparison is sort of tolerated, if done 'with taste'.

Back