Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Gears of War 3 uses a global illumination system. Nice. My only complaint about Gears, lighting, is now gone. :LOL:

Gears of War joins the list of console franchises that are graphically complete/perfect for me.

MW series,
Uncharted Series,
Gears Series.

God of War 3 is out due to blocky models. Halo Reach is currently out due to lack of environment shadows. Killzone 2 due to the over bearing comic book palette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, presumably it's the Light Mass tech... another sort of baked GI. I'm not understanding what you're trying to compare other than perhaps art-style. But that's beyond the scope of the Games section really.

Yikes, Marcus has arms thicker then my thighs...

Pics or... ;)

I wonder if that building is going to be interactive, as in, you can enter, go up and come out to the bridge. Gears has a lot of nice environmental detail in the backgrounds, that you can never reach...
Yeah... there have been several AAA titles with this "issue", but I'm sure you can understand why. I can't really think of anything else (apart from flight sims) other than Serious Sam where you see something far away and then you get to get up-close. Halo 1 has that to an extent (Assault on the Control Room), but... not quite the same.

So I take it it's not something like screenspace GI from Crytek AlStrong? I'm more interested in the changing level tech caused by earthquakes, sounds like they expanded the idea of cracking floor from Gears 2 and perhaps added more scale to it.

So I take it it's not something like screenspace GI from Crytek AlStrong? I'm more interested in the changing level tech caused by earthquakes, sounds like they expanded the idea of cracking floor from Gears 2 and perhaps added more scale to it.
Lightmass bakes GI into a textures, so the quality is good.
Cryteck has both SSGI and worldspace GI both calculated runtime.

Hmm i saw the newest scans(GI) and though it looks like an upgrade from Gears 2 it looks like all those shoots differ from this one
vik5g6.jpg

And that one in particular looked good IMO...those new shoots seem to me like the same ol same UE3,bit plastic and all while the one i posted looks very uncharted 2 like...Guess will have to wait till E3,they still have the whole year in front of them.

looks like enslaved (has some comic touch to it) :mrgreen:

Yeah... there have been several AAA titles with this "issue", but I'm sure you can understand why.

Of course, and it's also similar to Uncharted 2, although that game has more immersion - the jumping/climbing mechanics allow for a lot of vertical travel as well, so you feel like you'd be able to visit more of the environment, you just sort of don't have the time.

I can't really think of anything else (apart from flight sims) other than Serious Sam where you see something far away and then you get to get up-close. Halo 1 has that to an extent (Assault on the Control Room), but... not quite the same.

Halo1 was awesome in that an actual fight took place deep under the first bridge in that canyon. Any time you've played the game the outcome was different; and of course a lot of people found ways to jump ahead and get down into the battle before it was over.
Not to mention the ability to steal that Banshee later on that level...

But no game with such amount of player freedom could look as impressive as UC2 or Gears3 either. It's always a trade-off.

Pics or... ;)

No way :)

Yeah... there have been several AAA titles with this "issue", but I'm sure you can understand why. I can't really think of anything else (apart from flight sims) other than Serious Sam where you see something far away and then you get to get up-close. Halo 1 has that to an extent (Assault on the Control Room), but... not quite the same.

Crackdown?

I used to care about scale and open worlds when I believed bigger is better. Crysis and MW2 sort of made me realize that fun doesn't "scale" with scale. I liked MW2 single player way more than Crysis's. Crysis's single player was a mess. A game needs to know how to do stuff with its scale. A sandbox can be either huge ala Farcry 2, or tiny ala Fear. Doesn't say anything about how fun the sandbox is. The best sandbox for me so far this generation is Halo 3's. The worst is Resistance 2's.

It's not really about scale or open worlds, more about teasing you with a cool looking piece in the environment and then actually leading you there. Even Doom had some of it going on with the occasional windows, or the original Unreal which had some huge levels occasionally.

The big buildings in the background of Gears' levels would be a very good opportunity for this, but it just doesn't happen that often. UC2 does it better, and obviously Halo is good at it too, and they're all sort of linear levels (although Halo has far bigger and less developed areas to facilitate vehicle and/or aerial combat and in general, larger battles).

Heavenly Sword pulled the scale thing off really well. On the level where you run down the cable you can stand on the ledge and look off into the distance and all the building you see are interactive parts of the game.

Hmm that Markus and Dom shoot looks very nice and some others look as they are hungry for some AA.Wondering how come Epic released shoots that arent at least 16xAA...

Hmm that Markus and Dom shoot looks very nice and some others look as they are hungry for some AA.Wondering how come Epic released shoots that arent at least 16xAA...

well most of those are BULLSHOTS (if not all). They are atleast 8x AA if not 16X AA.

EPIC and TECMO are infamous for releasing highly supersampled bullshots. The latest batch of shots are also BULLS .

These seem to be ingame shots.
The aliasing do kinda pop up against the rest of the frame.
Or epic decided to become less consistent with bullshots.

4627224555_e2c92f6720_o.jpg

4627829726_9350c6470d_o.jpg

4627829894_3e97839f8e_o.jpg

I like depth of field in first shoot,but jaggies kinda mess them up.Still they have all the time in the world and Cliff said they are really gunning for polish and extremely good looking game that will look much better then last one.

I dont see why would those be bullshots?Obviously those are not bullshots,there is quite noticeable aliasing on those shoots.

Back