Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

This was really disappointing. I had a buddy come over the other day and there was no way to play split screen horde online...

WTFBBQ! pwn'd and total Fail all wrapped in one! The trend away from ease of use for local gaming (be it split screen or system link) is irritating.

I've always said, Gears is the fastest TPS out there....and when played by an experienced player it's really a whole different game when you compare it to the gameplay by someone who is not so experienced.

I've always said, Gears is the fastest TPS out there....and when played by an experienced player it's really a whole different game when you compare it to the gameplay by someone who is not so experienced.

MP probably, but SP nothing beats the speed of Vanquish.

Finished last night. I'm not sure whether I was blown by anything and it, definitely, is the glitchiest gears game I've played. There were a number of times I had to restart an entire level because the exit wasn't available. I also encountered enemies that floated through the scenery and then got stuck behind a rock face. Then because you couldn't kill them you couldn't complete the level. It also froze completely a number of times.

Having said that though it was a fun FPS to play but I felt that bulletstorm did big scenes better, vanquish felt faster, and resistance 3 felt far more polished. I don't think I could stomach another one though, it's just starting to feel like it's on an endless loop.

Finished last night. I'm not sure whether I was blown by anything and it, definitely, is the glitchiest gears game I've played. There were a number of times I had to restart an entire level because the exit wasn't available. I also encountered enemies that floated through the scenery and then got stuck behind a rock face. Then because you couldn't kill them you couldn't complete the level. It also froze completely a number of times.

Having said that though it was a fun FPS to play but I felt that bulletstorm did big scenes better, vanquish felt faster, and resistance 3 felt far more polished. I don't think I could stomach another one though, it's just starting to feel like it's on an endless loop.

That's weird, I didn't encountered any glitches, freezes or bugs in the SP or hear/seen anyone else complaining about such a thing.

Maybe you got unlucky...because Gears 3 is a fairly polished game and definitely the most polished Gears game to date.

That's weird, I didn't encountered any glitches, freezes or bugs in the SP or hear/seen anyone else complaining about such a thing.

Maybe you got unlucky...because Gears 3 is a fairly polished game and definitely the most polished Gears game to date.

Maybe it was just bad luck or it may be down my rather geriatric launch day xbox. But I've not encountered so many problems in any other games. Didn't stop me from finishing it though!

Yeah.. that is weird. :s I've played campaign for nigh on 30 hours by now and the only glitch I've come across was with one of the boss fights when something jumped onto a building and disappeared (it likely got confused with the 4 of us running around for about 30 minutes trying to dodge it.)

MP probably, but SP nothing beats the speed of Vanquish.

Exactly Gears is a slow dog compared to Vanquish. Coming from Vanquish to Gears makes it look like you're on God Mode. I breezed through Insane in like 5 hours - solo, with no mutators.

Been playing co-op, just finished fighting the Lambent Berserker.
I quite like the difficulty - even on Hardcore it's not much of a grind, which is good.

I love the gameplay in Gears, shooting people is so much fun with the diverse weaponry on hand and the gore, then you have all the executions, chainsaw/bayonet kills, meat shields, grenade tagging etc.

Graphics are pretty amazing, probably the best looking 360 title to date. Even in split screen coop there's no noticeable difference in visual fidelity from single player - I really don't know how they manage that, compared to say Halo where the graphics in 2P split screen are noticeably pared back and running at a lower resolution with black bars at the sides of the screen

Graphics are pretty amazing, probably the best looking 360 title to date. Even in split screen coop there's no noticeable difference in visual fidelity from single player - I really don't know how they manage that, compared to say Halo where the graphics in 2P split screen are noticeably pared back and running at a lower resolution with black bars at the sides of the screen

Small Levels, far less opponents at same time on screen, Reach double the number of it when you play co-op. But yeah visually the spilt-screen is really coool!!! :)

Unlocked Big Head mode. lol Doesn't affect cut-scenes unfortunately. :( The entire game seems sped up by some amount, including the voices. Even the real-time cut-scenes have the tinny voices.

It affects voices in the real-time ones.

Had to complete 1000 waves of horde (failed ones don't count). :p Enemies are affected too, so it's like... a baby mode. Would go nicely with the flowers mutator methinks. hehe

It is something to behold. The first campaign act was hilarious with it (big head mode) enabled. The tinny voices put it over the top.

I think I'm near the end of Act 3. I'm definitely enjoying the game, but it feels like it's missing something. There are some good set pieces, but it feels like it's wasting a lot of time getting to something more important. A lot of the characters are kind of annoying cartoon people with overdone accents. There are more characters than the game needs. Gameplay itself is rock solid and entertaining. Lots of good visuals, though the trenches went on too long.

I think I'm near the end of Act 3. I'm definitely enjoying the game, but it feels like it's missing something. There are some good set pieces, but it feels like it's wasting a lot of time getting to something more important. A lot of the characters are kind of annoying cartoon people with overdone accents. There are more characters than the game needs. Gameplay itself is rock solid and entertaining. Lots of good visuals, though the trenches went on too long.
Well, I played the game for a while, had fun, got to level 9, left half of act 4 unfinished, and most of act 5 -I was invited to play during the final boss fight, though we died-, but while I thought it could be the best Gears of the series, for me it's not.

The graphics are the best of the series by far, but Gears of War 1 in 2006 managed to impress me. Nowadays having played games like Crysis 2, Crysis, seeing BF3 in videos, etc etc, , they turned out a damn sight prettier than a hell of a lot of the stages in Gears 3.

There are a few games that surprise me as much as GeoW1 did, or Oblivion -Skyrim looks incredible for such an open game, though- but that's not the point...

I completed Gears of War 2 weeks ago, and Gears of War 1 back in the time.... And I have to say that, for me, Gears of War 1 is still the best in the series. The berserker -I missed the original one in GeoW3. a lot more dangerous, intense, creepy, and fun to fight- , the krill stage..., Raam...

Gears of War 2 was fine, despite some new additions were losing charisma and the stages featuring vehicles were kind of boring, but the dialogues with Marcus were still fun (Do I look like a damn botanist?) :smile: but in Gears 3 the Lambent aren't a good replacement for the Locust and the dialogues are too ironic at the beginning, that they are cheesy in most cases. Every scene doesn't seem to follow a plan, it's just Marcus giving an order and they all start running without thinking what they are doing.

In GeoW2 there was a speech at least, and some of the cutscenes finished with characters standing still, not running as if they see every situation as an emergency of some kind. I also miss the coop situations where you were allowed to choose different directions and options. They are still there, but a lot less frequent, almost nonexistent to me.

Having played the three games in the trilogy, from best to worst, in that order, my list would be: Gears 1, Gears 2, Gears 3.

Acts 4 and 5 were awesome. Trenches was my least favourite part of the game. Story is not really well done for the most part, but there are some good bits. Seems like a lot of the game was spend searching for food, fuel, supplies. Act 5 alone is worth the price of admission.

Having played the three games in the trilogy, from best to worst, in that order, my list would be: Gears 1, Gears 2, Gears 3.

For me it's 1, 3, >>>>>2. Not a fan of two at all. In fact most of my complaints about 3 I feel like are things that unfortunately are holdovers from 2.

I agree with most of your points about Gears 1. And though I never played Oblivion I really get what you're saying there. That was when the generation was new and things awed people. I remember a lot of people saying they were blown away when they left the opening cave in Oblivion and saw this huge open world before them. Same reason Gears 1 or Halo CE will be almost impossible to top in those series imo.

Which is all the more reason I'm wishing for next gen, we'll get those fresh experiences again. All a little OT to Gears 3 I suppose.

For me is the reverse the one got only the facts it's new and in a period there no concurrent,… Three is the most well made, and second is second.

And for Oblivion, it's the worst TES made, a really empty game for a TES…

Back