Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

I haven't played Gears 3 yet, but I really preferred Gears 1's campaign over Gears 2's...Gears 1 felt way more intense

For me who doesn't pay for Live though, Gears 2's bots and horde mode was great for split-screen

DLC #2 is a single player add-on coming mid-December. 1200 points stand-alone. Sounds good. It's a prequel featuring General RAAM. I wonder how that plays out considering he dies in Gears 1...

http://epicgames.com/community/2011/10/gears-of-war-3-raam%E2%80%99s-shadow-game-add-on-coming-dec-13th/

Barrick was introduced in the comics.
He's got rust lung post-Gears 1 ending. He eventually dies holding off grubs allowing Marcus and friends to escape during some mission.
Alicia seems to be an all new character I've never heard of before. They always need more ladies. :p Oh... and good excuse to bring back Lt. Kim and Tai. Wonder who the last character is.

So 6 new MP characters here would be RAAM, Barrick, Tai, Kim, and Alicia + one more. Oh and a chocolate weapon skin pack.

--------------

Can't remember if DLC #1 was mentioned here. All I recall are 3 maps (usable in all modes), one of which is a remake/update of Blood Drive from Gears 2. There's a weapon skin pack included, and three new selectable characters/skins including big rig Dizzy, Bernie Mataki (the old woman COG), and Onyx Guard COG soldier. There are updates to Horde with additional upgrade tiers. I think... the next level of decoys, which is a COG bot, Silverback missiles + cost reduction, command center for calling in fire support etc, and a better sentry that's more effective against berserkers.

800 points standalone.

--------------

So that's... 800 + 1200... That leaves two more packs to cost 800 each. The season pass was 2400 points, so that's indeed a pretty decent saving... I hope there's more DLC/remakes of old maps beyond that.

I have been playing Gears 3 for the last few days. And what a great game it is.

At the same time I cant help it but wonder if it is only me that wishes Epic would have evolved the gameplay more and added new ideas.

The game is certainly more action packed, the visuals are unbelievably good, there are more set pieces, but the gameplay is almost completely identical to Gears 2 though. The biggest differentiators are new type of enemies, new execution animations and some new weapons but they dont change much how you approach the gameplay.

DLC #2 is a single player add-on coming mid-December. 1200 points stand-alone. Sounds good. It's a prequel featuring General RAAM. I wonder how that plays out considering he dies in Gears 1...

http://epicgames.com/community/2011/10/gears-of-war-3-raam’s-shadow-game-add-on-coming-dec-13th/

So that's... 800 + 1200... That leaves two more packs to cost 800 each. The season pass was 2400 points, so that's indeed a pretty decent saving... I hope there's more DLC/remakes of old maps beyond that.

That decides it, I'm going to hold out and await the release of a GOTY edition..Going to be tough, but well worth it

I have been playing Gears 3 for the last few days. And what a great game it is.

At the same time I cant help it but wonder if it is only me that wishes Epic would have evolved the gameplay more and added new ideas.

The game is certainly more action packed, the visuals are unbelievably good, there are more set pieces, but the gameplay is almost completely identical to Gears 2 though. The biggest differentiators are new type of enemies, new execution animations and some new weapons but they dont change much how you approach the gameplay.

They can't change it too much. I mean animation and stuff needs work; I would like to be able to change right hand aiming to-left hand aiming when I need but it's a competitive shooter. What do you want? Stats and perks? Vehicle combat? Killstreaks?

I'm really hating sawed-off users right now. It's such a noob gun. People running around with sawed-off trying to get easy kills. It's so bad now that all my deaths are coming from sawed-offs. If they can't kill you just get everyone to have sawed-off and rush you - there's no way you can win.

I'm really hating sawed-off users right now. It's such a noob gun. People running around with sawed-off trying to get easy kills. It's so bad now that all my deaths are coming from sawed-offs. If they can't kill you just get everyone to have sawed-off and rush you - there's no way you can win.

Look at you're stats Sawed-off it's not the only or first item who kill you… And it's easy to killl a sawed-off user who run at you with gnasher or lanzor… The bad weapon it's the gnasher who kill you in one shoot at 15 m…

Look at you're stats Sawed-off it's not the only or first item who kill you… And it's easy to killl a sawed-off user who run at you with gnasher or lanzor… The bad weapon it's the gnasher who kill you in one shoot at 15 m…

It's the sawed-off by 7 to 1 against gnasher. The sawed-off takes no skill to use, it's now even sipping into highed ranked matches. If you are constantly getting killed by a gnasher player it's because they're good with it. Try playing KOH when you got 5 guys rushing at the objectives with sawed-off, it's not easy at all. This is coming from a guy with a K/D of 3.7 in ranked. Which is incredibly high for Gears.

They can't change it too much. I mean animation and stuff needs work; I would like to be able to change right hand aiming to-left hand aiming when I need but it's a competitive shooter. What do you want? Stats and perks? Vehicle combat? Killstreaks?

Its not about changing. Its about adding and improving. Yeah the changing hands is one of the things they could have added but they didnt. The absence of that has nothing to do with trying to remain competitive. I cant think of any ideas right now. But when I play a sequel I expect the developers to come up and implement more ideas and variety from the previous game. I want to be surprised. Well.....it doesnt have much in that respect.

It's the sawed-off by 7 to 1 against gnasher. The sawed-off takes no skill to use, it's now even sipping into highed ranked matches. If you are constantly getting killed by a gnasher player it's because they're good with it. Try playing KOH when you got 5 guys rushing at the objectives with sawed-off, it's not easy at all. This is coming from a guy with a K/D of 3.7 in ranked. Which is incredibly high for Gears.

Sawed-off is not easy to use… you need to be very close and it's a one shoot gun (very long reload) so you don't have second chance, and sorry data give Gnasher winner…
Yes some used it like a trap weapon, but the same is with gnasher.
If you can't stop a sawed-off run well, it's the same that a gnasher run&roll, they need to be at same distant so not different.
You're only frustrating by the fact you don't have a kill you're expect…
And I'm Playing 70% of KOH.

And a high K/D only tell, you play for kill… don't give you automatic real good skill.
Personally K/D is only for "little" man who like to be a Man… So don't care.

I agree about sawed off being actually less effective than gnasher due to low bullet capacity and high reload, but it IS easy to use cause everyone uses it as a trap weapon and it is a LOT more effective than gnasher as a trap weapon cause of its humongous target reticule. Most people who use it don't even care about escaping if they miss, they just go in suicidal. But its still manageable, what I don't like is how they constantly keep on making the lancer more and more powerful.

Also in a game like Gears K/D matters, the gameplay is individuall focused so yes a hi K/D does means that the person is a very good player. Most of the time the good players are the ones who play alone or work in a team of two...anything more is actually a disadvantage condisering how the game is designed.

Sawed-off is not easy to use… you need to be very close and it's a one shoot gun (very long reload) so you don't have second chance, and sorry data give Gnasher winner…
Yes some used it like a trap weapon, but the same is with gnasher.
If you can't stop a sawed-off run well, it's the same that a gnasher run&roll, they need to be at same distant so not different.
You're only frustrating by the fact you don't have a kill you're expect…
And I'm Playing 70% of KOH.

And a high K/D only tell, you play for kill… don't give you automatic real good skill.
Personally K/D is only for "little" man who like to be a Man… So don't care.

If you are using the gnasher as a trap weapon then you are already doing it wrong. In KOH you can set-up and camp the objectives to "trap" people into getting easy kills with a sawed-off. It's impossible to "trap" with a gnasher unless the average play just sucks. I never use gnasher to trap, only rush. Nobody even plays Execution anymore because you can't just go running around with your head blown off using sawed-off. They like spawning in TDM because even if they die 5-8 times in a match at least they can get as many kills.

The gnasher by contrast is much harder to use, that's why people are switching to sawed-off. Gnasher is deadly as a rush weapon when you combine it with wall bouncing, which combined with a hammy is near unstoppable combo, though I get most of my kills flanking sawed-offs trying to "trap" me. With the spread being so wide on it, I can tell they can't even aim when using it because when they start to see me wall bounce they just pray and spray hoping they hit something. That's another way I get most of my kills. Though, I would say I get caught 40% of the time. So it's almost a 50/50 chance rushing a sawed-off user.

...and yes, a k/d of 3.7 in Gears means you got skill, it's god-like. If the automatic trigger finger goes off, then bam I'm getting like 20+ kills in TDM... it's not like I can't "stop" the sawed-off it's just all ( I repeat, ALL ) of my deaths are coming from it, which seems unbalanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about sawed off being actually less effective than gnasher due to low bullet capacity and high reload, but it IS easy to use cause everyone uses it as a trap weapon and it is a LOT more effective than gnasher as a trap weapon cause of its humongous target reticule. Most people who use it don't even care about escaping if they miss, they just go in suicidal. But its still manageable, what I don't like is how they constantly keep on making the lancer more and more powerful.

Also in a game like Gears K/D matters, the gameplay is individuall focused so yes a hi K/D does means that the person is a very good player. Most of the time the good players are the ones who play alone or work in a team of two...anything more is actually a disadvantage condisering how the game is designed.

I love the lancer, it has a F-O-R-E-V-E-R clip, in active it's simply over-powered. Though I noticed people new to gears simply are using retro which is basically an automatic gnasher combined with sawed-off. It's the pray-n-spray combo for newbies to get use to gears. I think by contrast the lancer needs to get more powerful to balance it out.

lol I dunno I thought it would have been best for the guy doing "Insane" to stay put at the start, I didn't want to butt in though, so I just tried to follow you guys. :p

I never run up the hill because there's no real advantage when there's so much room at the bottom and you can pick off the enemies and pods better that way. :) Send me an invite if ya need a 4th man or something for co-op. I'm up for insane runs anytime (except for the final boss ;))

lol I dunno I thought it would have been best for the guy doing "Insane" to stay put at the start, I didn't want to butt in though, so I just tried to follow you guys. :p

I never run up the hill because there's no real advantage when there's so much room at the bottom and you can pick off the enemies and pods better that way. :) Send me an invite if ya need a 4th man or something for co-op. I'm up for insane runs anytime (except for the final boss ;))

Haha, the lady was doing insane us fellas were only on hardcore; we are always down for a fourth I got stuck with awful weapons in that run though. I need to do an insane run from the beginning.

oooh cool. haha :cool: I love playing the campaign, so I'll see you around sometime. :) Any chance you like arcade? I have all the mutators unlocked. hehe Big Head mode is a real treat.

oooh cool. haha :cool: I love playing the campaign, so I'll see you around sometime. :) Any chance you like arcade? I have all the mutators unlocked. hehe Big Head mode is a real treat.

I must admit that I've yet to play. Forza and new Kinect games have taken precedence.

Final boss is hella easy with super-reload and instagib-melee on Insane. Though it's always easier with more people.

Back