Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

I'm only on Act 3, but good so far.

The game seems easier to me than the past games as the AI team mates are very aggressive and maybe helps too much. Almost like I can just sit back and let them fight the enemies with only having to jump in when needed in some encounters.

Maybe a good thing when I finally take on Horde.

I will up the difficulty after the first play through to get a more of a challenge.

I think Gears lost a lot of the horror elements. I don't remember a single point in this game where it was trying to scare me. Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by 3 other guys the whole game.

Gears 1 and 2 had some scary elements. This one just felt like a straight up action game.
I concur. The berserker in Gears 1 brought some of the most frightening and memorable moments in the series and in videogames in general. But fighting her in Gears of War 3 wasn't that exciting at all. The setting was a lot less mysterious, while before you didn't know where she could appear. The berserker in Gears 1 was awe-inspiring.

I'm only on Act 3, but good so far.

The game seems easier to me than the past games as the AI team mates are very aggressive and maybe helps too much. Almost like I can just sit back and let them fight the enemies with only having to jump in when needed in some encounters.

Maybe a good thing when I finally take on Horde.

I will up the difficulty after the first play through to get a more of a challenge.
I am at the very beginning of Act 4, and level 8 -new addition to the series it seems-. So good so far indeed. I am really enjoying the game.

Also this game has the best Anisotropic filtering I've seen in any console to date. :oops: There are moments when playing games like this makes you realize how close are current games to reach artwork quality.

besides that, years ago when I was into PC gaming and the dinosaurs ruled the earth I thought I would never ever see real-time graphics exceed the quality of videos in games.

Now I'll have to eat my words! Realtime footage in this game looks superior to videos. :oops:

This one is probably the best Gears of War to date. It didn't amaze me like Gears of War 1 did, but it's really good. I kind of miss the typical locust though, but well... you can't have everything.

The main flaws of the game are the cheesy dialogues, the excessive irony -I don't like irony at all- in almost every commentary they make, the typical american star system behind part of the story, and again the cliched situations where americans "excel at" -sigh-.

I mean, this happens when someone gives them an order after a dialogue they just take their weapons and let themselves get carried away. How stupid and odd is that. They don't think a strategy no matter what, they just follow orders immediately. Typical merican cliche. That isn't realistic and people aren't Chuck Norris, who is invincible using his body, people have to think.

I thought the game used bilinear filtering, never double checked so could be wrong.
IIRC Heavenly sword was reported to have 8xAF and both Killzone games have had really good texture filtering, I think the quality is atleast equivalent to 4x.

I kind of miss the typical locust though,

Yeah, Locust are the most fun to fight. The whole game should just be them. The Lambent are ugly, all the "rush at you mindlessly" enemies annoying, etc.

Yeah, Locust are the most fun to fight. The whole game should just be them. The Lambent are ugly, all the "rush at you mindlessly" enemies annoying, etc.

Please no...like Halo fighting the same enemy throughout its series. Iam glad they diversify their enemies, it keeps me coming back to the series.

Please no...like Halo fighting the same enemy throughout its series. Iam glad they diversify their enemies, it keeps me coming back to the series.

Halo you fight flood and covenant...and guess what the flood are always boring too. I loved Reach and the best part is the combat, against the covenant always.

I can see the variety argument, but again it's like vehicle segments. If the variety is always worse than the norm, is that really a good thing?

They should have at least come up with a more fun, better animated, opponent than the lambent, the zombies, etc.

Halo you fight flood and covenant...and guess what the flood are always boring too. I loved Reach and the best part is the combat, against the covenant always.

I can see the variety argument, but again it's like vehicle segments. If the variety is always worse than the norm, is that really a good thing?

They should have at least come up with a more fun, better animated, opponent than the lambent, the zombies, etc.

I have not completed the campaign yet but I've played about 50 games of Horde and currently got as high as lvl 40 in one game. That lambent Berserker is a pain in the buttocks.

I have not completed the campaign yet but I've played about 50 games of Horde and currently got as high as lvl 40 in one game. That lambent Berserker is a pain in the buttocks.

I finally unlocked the Silverback in Horde mode. It's a bit overpowered for sure. I rack up 15-20 kills with ease with that thing. I'll be annoyed if I wasn't getting some kills if I was on the other end, with somebody else getting all the action. I'd had a couple people quit on me after we got to wave 46.

• Just unlocked Level 5 turrets. It's the troika. Pretty accurate. Wish it had more ammo (400). Expensive too. I'm guessing level 7 is the chain gun.
  • Just unlocked the vampire mutator; just setup a warzone match with bots (have to fill the room for ribbons to work).
  • Super reloads makes things ridiculously easy. Should make insane more tolerable now that I think of it. I stopped at Act II Chapter 2 for the moment.
  • Probably going to start farming some points in arcade next to unlock the flowers mutator (I'm at 1.4M out of 2M). Plus, I need to complete the campaign in arcade anyway to unlock the warmonger medal, which is the last one I need to unlock Laugh Track. :p Not sure if the game tells you which chapters were done in arcade though.
  • I'm slightly under half-way to unlocking Big Head (around 420 of 1000 waves of horde).
  • Infinite ammo... only 13/100 for combat engineer ribbons. I think it's bugged or something. They only award it once per life instead of per wave. :s If you have a turret though, just reloading it counts towards the 5 fortifications.
  • Would like to unlock Pinata, but I'll just have to keep playing Beast. I'm @ 100K of 500K.
  • Getting kills with the wretch is horrible. I'm only at 15/100 kills, which unlocks instagib melee. Should make horde easy enough to do single-handed. XD
  • Big explosions mutator may or may not take a while. Get 100 kills with the boomshot @ over 200m distance. :s Maybe 1v1 KOTH on the beach map works with split-screen or private match with boom shot everywhere.
  • I might actually be a decent ways along to getting the comet mutator - just need 1000 first kills ribbon (forgot to check just now). I got quite a few trying to get the Vampire mutator.

So that's what the sires are...
Sire2.jpg

Wow Al it looks like you've done a lot.

One thing I noticed with when I bought the vanilla GOW3 is that it did not come with a game manual.
Was that the same for everybody?

What's the difference between Arcade and Campaign?

I think Arcade means basically online coop campaign.

That's another thing that would confuse noobs over the already confusing maze of menus, everything isn't named intuitively. One would have to be told that "private" means "offline" in this world for example.

Just really feel like this and Reach have obtuse menus.

Yeah... :p This and Halo Anniversary are the only two games I'm getting before Mass Effect 3, so I'm sure I'll get even more done soon. I just want to get those damn mutators asap. :)

One thing I noticed with when I bought the vanilla GOW3 is that it did not come with a game manual.
All I got was a two-page or something manual. Pretty sparse stuff.

Arcade is the scoring mode ala Halo 3/ODST/Reach. It also allows you to turn on the mutators. Both Arcade and Standard co-op can be done online.

You can also use the mutators in private Horde matches too.

That's another thing that would confuse noobs over the already confusing maze of menus, everything isn't named intuitively. One would have to be told that "private" means "offline" in this world for example.

Private just means you can setup certain variables, and random people on XBL can't join. People on your friends list can still join you mid-game or in the lobby.

Thanks for the help last night, Al and Brit. Looking forward to some 4 player insane campaign once I can finally unlock it! or can we just start insane now if you have in unlocked?

Same here, no game manual but a meagre two-page leaflet. I had to discover a few things by myself and there are options I don't know what they are for.

lambent are a fine addition, but I prefer the locust tactics. They nerfed down the difficulty and they also nerfed down the theron guards using the torque bow since Gears of War 2. In Gears of War 1 you could die in a second if your head was sticking out from cover.

I remember spending like a quarter of an hour confronting a single theron guard in Gears 1, close to the place you found the torque bow. I feared he might kill me if he saw me moving in and out of cover. They were overpowered but the first gears was more difficult at high difficulty levels.

Same here, no game manual but a meagre two-page leaflet. I had to discover a few things by myself and there are options I don't know what they are for.

lambent are a fine addition, but I prefer the locust tactics. They nerfed down the difficulty and they also nerfed down the theron guards using the torque bow since Gears of War 2. In Gears of War 1 you could die in a second if your head was sticking out from cover.

I remember spending like a quarter of an hour confronting a single theron guard in Gears 1, close to the place you found the torque bow. I feared he might kill me if he saw me moving in and out of cover. They were overpowered but the first gears was more difficult at high difficulty levels.

Haha yes that checkpoint was pretty notorious and difficult. I myself restarted it countless times.

Thanks for the help last night, Al and Brit. Looking forward to some 4 player insane campaign once I can finally unlock it! or can we just start insane now if you have in unlocked?

Hm... you'll have to unlock insane for yourself as standard mode makes each person select individual difficulty as long as they're in the lobby group at the start. In arcade mode... it might work. I'm not sure. We'll have to make sure we have a full party before starting since only party leader will be able to select the difficulty in Arcade. If people join after the game starts, the game uses the difficulty that the person last played on.

I dunno about 4p insane though. It's extremely easy to get blown to bits; the other day I was the only one on insane and it got pretty frustrating to have everyone do all the work only to reset to the checkpoint because some enemy got a lucky shot from across the block. I'd highly recommend using the super reloads for any insane run, so maybe it's doable.

Back