Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Was out of town for most of the weekend, and played FIFA the last two nights. Looks like I have some catching up to do on the campaign.

Hm... you'll have to unlock insane for yourself as standard mode makes each person select individual difficulty as long as they're in the lobby group at the start. In arcade mode... it might work. I'm not sure. We'll have to make sure we have a full party before starting since only party leader will be able to select the difficulty in Arcade. If people join after the game starts, the game uses the difficulty that the person last played on.

I dunno about 4p insane though. It's extremely easy to get blown to bits; the other day I was the only one on insane and it got pretty frustrating to have everyone do all the work only to reset to the checkpoint because some enemy got a lucky shot from across the block. I'd highly recommend using the super reloads for any insane run, so maybe it's doable.

They must have bumped up the insane difficulty. I went through solo insane on Gears 1 and 2. It was challenging but never cheap (CoD on Veteran is cheap!)

I'm currently at the start of Act 5.
I'm starting to appreciate the graphics and lighting much more.

I'm still finding it too easy though. I noticed that there is a possibility for SP DLC. I wonder how they will expand upon the campaign?

They must have bumped up the insane difficulty. I went through solo insane on Gears 1 and 2. It was challenging but never cheap (CoD on Veteran is cheap!)

Yeah, I'd say it's worse than the first two. :p

Just unlocked the flowers mutator. :D

Yeah.. ok, I just cleared Act II on insane with relatively few problems with the super reload. :p It also looks like you can only activate 3 mutators at a time.

Maybe no one really used it in Gears 2? It was certainly nothing compared to Bungie's iterations or connectivity with the web.

haha yeah. You could only use it when you were spectating (i.e. dead) in multiplayer. You could upload the images to gears.xbox.com as well, though they were pretty low quality compression as well as just direct frame grabs, so no proper AA. It really shows how flat the lighting used to be too. :p

haha yeah. You could only use it when you were spectating (i.e. dead) in multiplayer. You could upload the images to gears.xbox.com as well, though they were pretty low quality compression as well as just direct frame grabs, so no proper AA. It really shows how flat the lighting used to be too. :p

Yeah, in Gears 3 going around with the ghost camera(while dead) made me miss capturing pics especially since the game graphics have improve, the god rays add a nice visual appeal.

Did anyone see the YT vid with the easter egg,
flame shooting golden rooster

Yeah, I'd say it's worse than the first two. :p

Just unlocked the flowers mutator. :D

What are these mutators and how do you unlock them?

From what little I played on insane, it seemed as easy (relative to past difficulty) as the others. We'll see though.

Probably will do an insane SP playthrough.

Is there a way to do a playthrough some coop, some SP, using the same save?

Between multiple playthroughs on harder difficulties, these unlocks, and horde, theres still a lot to do if you arent big on MP like me, which is very nice. Though, with other games like Rage and Crysis already hitting, I may have to come back about Spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished it.

I loved the ending and got to say that the graphics seemed to improve as you went along. Definitely felt closure and finality to it without the BS possible sequel possibility string along.

During the first Act, I was thinking that it looked better, but only just. By Act 4 and 5, the improved lighting really started to shine.

I still think that it's much easier on normal difficulty than the previous Gears. Now to run through some of the other modes and campaign in a harder difficulty.

What are these mutators and how do you unlock them?

From what little I played on insane, it seemed as easy (relative to past difficulty) as the others. We'll see though.

Probably will do an insane SP playthrough.

Is there a way to do a playthrough some coop, some SP, using the same save?

Well, some parts are more straightforward than others on insane. There are just a lot of cheap spots with the gunkers and the lambent snake heads and the sort. Some parts get annoying when the exploder type enemies swarm you while you're fighting off others. Any explosion and you're pretty much dead. Regular fighting is pretty much like the other two games, which didn't have those sorts of enemies. A few times I've given boomshot to the rest of the squad, so it gets even easier.

On a couple occasions, you spawn in the middle of battle, so it's kind of just bullshit nonsense. Just load up Act 1 Chapter 6 and have a go if you don't believe it. Otherwise... it's not that horrible really. Just a lot of grinding.

You can read about mutators when you go to start the arcade mode. As for unlocking them, you can check your stats and awards section on one of the pages, which will list what you need to unlock (medals or ribbons or certain kills etc).

You can mix up the campaign with co-op or SP. Actually, people can drop in and drop out while you're playing as well.

Oh and as long as someone in the party has the mutator unlocked, it doesn't matter if the host doesn't as you'll still be able to select it.

Back