Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Retro lancer + Anya = hawt. :p

They've certainly come a long way...

Looks great! Btw, I remember Gears1 had the "mad world" trailer which was airing in cinemas as an advertisement for the 360 hardware, and it looked like next-next generation. I thought it was realtime at the time because of all the xbox-media hyperbole going around (plus every game scoring +85 metacritic regardless of actual quality or gameplay) The actual game looked really great itself (to this day, imo gears 1 has the best 360 graphics possible, though gears 3 might change that), but if they could achieve the quality of that or this trailer in the next generation, then I'll be good for the next 5-10 years :)

Oh and looks like ND shared some of their uncharted 3 water technology :cool:
(epic were credited at the end of uncharted 2 so it's possible they work together behind the scenes).

Not as good as the Mad World trailer, but still good. Only thing I didn't like was the end where Dom and Marcus just glanced at each other and went back into the fight. Not sure how they could have ended it better, but I thought the Mad World and Last Day trailers ended better.

Yeah... I'm kinda wondering if they just handed high res assets to a professional house. The lighting, animation, and effects are just so much of a leap.

Looks great! Btw, I remember Gears1 had the "mad world" trailer which was airing in cinemas as an advertisement for the 360 hardware, and it looked like next-next generation. I thought it was realtime at the time because of all the xbox-media hyperbole going around (plus every game scoring +85 metacritic regardless of actual quality or gameplay) The actual game looked really great itself (to this day, imo gears 1 has the best 360 graphics possible, though gears 3 might change that), but if they could achieve the quality of that or this trailer in the next generation, then I'll be good for the next 5-10 years :)

Oh and looks like ND shared some of their uncharted 3 water technology :cool:
(epic were credited at the end of uncharted 2 so it's possible they work together behind the scenes).
I' am trolling but I have to...:p
8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

I' am trolling but I have to...:p
8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

I'm pretty sure he's serious...saying that "gears 1 has the best 360 graphics possible" is a good old classic trolling attempt at downplaying the 360's hardware by stating that the 360 was maxed out by Gears.

BTW I'd love to play some multiplayer games with some guys from here - I'd love to check out the sexy Anya+Retro combo of Al...:p

Of course English isn't my native language so that may be a problem but I'm a decent player (shotty lover) and love being in a good team.

:p Biggest issue would be timing, but that shouldn't be too bad on weekends. We usually just play with whomever is online though and go from there.

I'd love to join in with you guys too, especially for some co-op or horde. Down to play anything though as long as I'm in a team and not with some random asshats.

Oh, we'll certainly be playing a metric ton of Gears 3 campaign and horde once it hits...

gears-of-war-20071003095630987.jpg

though this is from the PC version and probably a scripted animation, I remember the 360 version looking really similar. Still, nothing compared to the cinema "Mad WOrld" trailer.
Gears 2 to me at least, had a lot more low resolution textures, overall it did not have the same quality and polish as the first game.
above all: to me artistically, nothing tops the first gears. The second one is more brown as opposed to gray/green, and brown is not my favorite color so there you go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny because all the characters were obviously more detailed in Gears 2 and the engine far more advanced in general.

Gears 1 had more contrast because of the lack of proper ambient lighting (a lot of the stuff was black). I can see how someone could interpret that as more detail, but I personally think that the advancements between the games are totally obvious and unquestionable.

Did you guys know that only one engineer was working on Gears 2 for like 8 months?I read that on twitter,one guy from Epic posted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but the game probably benefitted from all the engineer work done on UE3 in general, don't you think so? Lightmass is a pretty evident advancement, for example - and I doubt it's the work of that one guy alone.

Yeah but the game probably benefitted from all the engineer work done on UE3 in general, don't you think so? Lightmass is a pretty evident advancement, for example - and I doubt it's the work of that one guy alone.
Sorry I meant Gears 2 ;) But,Gears 3 definitely benefited from UE3 updates...Lightmass,foliage,motion blur.Pretty much everything was amped up.

gears-of-war-20071003095630987.jpg

though this is from the PC version and probably a scripted animation, I remember the 360 version looking really similar. Still, nothing compared to the cinema "Mad WOrld" trailer.
Gears 2 to me at least, had a lot more low resolution textures, overall it did not have the same quality and polish as the first game.
above all: to me artistically, nothing tops the first gears. The second one is more brown as opposed to gray/green, and brown is not my favorite color so there you go :)

I think its been such a long time since you played Gears 1 that you forgot how it looked. I played it fairly "recently" again and...well......it looked very rough compared to the second game. Too rough. Certainly not as impressive as it looked back when it was released

I think its been such a long time since you played Gears 1 that you forgot how it looked. I played it fairly "recently" again and...well......it looked very rough compared to the second game. Too rough. Certainly not as impressive as it looked back when it was released

But he said that "gears 1 has the best 360 graphics possible" ...

I also thought Gears 2 looked better than Gears 1.

Not sure how Beef Stroker can think otherwise.

Oh pshaw.. I just want a gears trilogy remastering in 2016. :p (or at the very least, bringing 1 and 2 up to date with 3's lighting).

Back