Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Game looks and plays great. The lighting is definitely improved, though it still falls short sometimes.

The sawed off almost ruins the demo for me though, it's insanely overpowered and whored out by too many people. Got to love those people who will use both the sawed off and gnasher. Forget earning kills by aiming and skill, just use nothing but shotguns and you can win just about any fight!.:rolleyes:

Also, does anyone have any idea why there is host migration when the game is supposed to be running on dedicated servers? There were a couple instances last night where a person left and host migration kicked in selecting a new host.

I think Cliffy tweeted that if you see host migration, you're not on dedicated servers.

No clue how it works but I vaguely understand that not all people are on dedicated servers all the time, as they are adding in dedicated servers slowly.

I'm loving the retro lancer. I hope Epic doesn't change a thing. The weapons are perfectly balanced at the moment.

Cliffy also tweeted that just as many people are complaining the rifles are overpowered as do the shotguns, so that's comforting. I do also recall epic stating that there's basically two playstyles in Gears, "rush close and shotgun" and "stay back and rifle" and they try to make both equally viable.

Cliffy also tweeted that just as many people are complaining the rifles are overpowered as do the shotguns, so that's comforting. I do also recall epic stating that there's basically two playstyles in Gears, "rush close and shotgun" and "stay back and rifle" and they try to make both equally viable.

There's a nice quote from some developer who said that you know a game is perfectly balanced when everyone is complaining equally about everything.

Heh :) the Bungie guys did an entire talk about that, concentrating on only one parameter of the sniper rifle or so, it was quite enlightening.

Retro lancer is like the perfect counter for the sawed off and it is easy to use from hip fire.

Maybe it's me then. I use the retro lancer and that doesn't seem to really hold them off when they are wall bouncing all over the place.

No matter what rifle you use, it won't stop someone from camping behind a corner and killing you before you even know they are there.

Again, I just want the spread reduced, that way I have a better chance at dodging the shot even if I'm caught off guard.

If it wasn't overpowered, I wonder why so many people use it. Maybe I just have bad luck, but it seems like majority of the people I've played against use it. When the beta first began and people were trying out various weapons, I was doing better, but now that a lot of people have settled on the sawed off, I don't do nearly as well. :cry:

had the chance to play a couple of matches:

phantastic!! superb graphics, superb gameplay...lots of fun! even better...I did well, kind of a shotgun monkey...welcome back gears, after the not so fun Gears 2...I am back on hype train :D

cannot wait!

had the chance to play a couple of matches:

phantastic!! superb graphics, superb gameplay...lots of fun! even better...I did well, kind of a shotgun monkey...welcome back gears, after the not so fun Gears 2...I am back on hype train :D

cannot wait!

I am with you can't wait until retail, hopefully the sp is as good as the multi. One thing I can't stand.....campers hiding around corners with the sawed-off.

I am with you can't wait until retail, hopefully the sp is as good as the multi. One thing I can't stand.....campers hiding around corners with the sawed-off.

heard a lot of complains with respect to the sawed off.
Hm, during my games...I never had a problem with sawed off guys...typically they did not had any chance against my shotgun...or the lancer.

But i guess, that is why the do a beta...to tune the weapon balance and find other stuff to fix!

Nice! It's an awesome demo. I've put more time into this beta than Gears 1 and Gears 2 MP combined. It's really fun and balanced (to me).

I clearly have no idea how to use it. :p Not sure I approve of holding X to pick things up now, but I suppose it'll prevent accidental pickups.

I seem to be acting more as a decoy for teammates to surprise the enemy I'm engaging. :p So many assists in just 7 games.

One thing Epic need to improved is the AI… of the gamers.
You're down at one meter of a human teammate and he don't revive you… but a bot teammate come from the other side of the map to revive you! :)
And also decreased the Gasnher, his range is to high.

You're down at one meter of a human teammate and he don't revive you… but a bot teammate come from the other side of the map to revive you! :)
And also decreased the Gasnher, his range is to high.

Need to get that kill man you will respawn.:LOL:

Gamers AI can only be improved with carrot/stick algorithms. The limited lives is one such stick: once they share the same "lives pool" with you, reviving you has a direct affect on their remaining lives :)

If anyone on my (very limited) friends' list fancies sending me an invite code for the beta (I've heard people who have played the beta is now or will soon be able to hand out invites?) I would very much appreciate it.

I refuse to pre-order from Game just to get one.

A note though: While I enjoyed the SP in Gears 1 and 2, I have invested precisely zero hours in the MP of both games, so I may well be seen as a 'wasted' invite. However, now that my son has reached 3 I can envision reconnecting with MP gaming and I think Gears 3 is as good a place to start as any :)

After playing 20hrs+ I have to say that the game is really nice and this beta already is much better than the Gears 2 fiasco, the game is so nicely balanced with the exceptions of Retro Lancer's way too high damage and the shit that's called Sawed-off shotfun...camping behind walls or corners isn't doing the game any good IMO if anything it hurts the CQC in an otherwise perfectly balanced game. Hopefully Epic will fix these two issues to an otherwise really fun game.

Also visually the game looks amazing, the new lighting makes everything pop out (Old Town being a great example of this) - my only complaint is the (not so bad though) jaggies, a custom AA solution like this one will improve the IQ and overall quality of the visuals...though I guess it's way too late to add such a thing in there.

Back