Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

holy smoke... this is soooo much more complete and fun as an online game than it ever was.

I gave up on both Gears 1,2 after a week or two online but this is so much smoother more refined experience.

Played a bit this morning. I'm not very good but already I felt much more comfortable playing this than Gears1 and 2 online. The gameplay speed is good and I feel like I can actually hurt people with the Lancer. I'm not just wasting bullets while they run up and shotgun me like in Gears 1 & 2. The game plays smooth and looks great btw.

Yeah heard it more from people online this is a complete different beast compared to other multiplayer.
Most multiplayers play like cod so skills transfer really easy but here i had to relearn everything just kinda mastered wall bouncing game becomes 100% better when you can use it to get out of trouble.
And i getting better with hipfire. Tip dont dive forward the shawed off kinda killed that.

The biggest improvement in GoW3 for me is definately the lighting. Its probably the one thing thats improved most over this generation and devs are really starting to nail it now. IMO the biggest steps forward have been due to great artistry rather than just rendering tech.
The lighting improvements are mostly due to the use of Lightmass probably.

Is it me or does the screen shake too much?
No its not just you.
They changed the way screen shaked and the intensity, its more 'wild' like Gears 1 when compared to the more 'rhythmic' Gears 2 screen shake.

I can actually hurt people with the Lancer. I'm not just wasting bullets while they run up and shotgun me like in Gears 1 & 2. The game plays smooth and looks great btw.
TBH the other person deserves the kill if he was able to run up and shotgun you even while you were firing at them with a Lancer (considering the ridiculous amount of stopping power the Lancer had, its even more dangerous if there's a boost due to active reload). The Lancer was never supposed to be the weapon to 'damage' people, instead it was more of a support weapon while the Hammerburst was actually the weapon of choice if one wanted to play offensively.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played shooters where rifles are strong thus having the Lancer act as a primary instead of a "support" gun works well for me.

Played a bit this morning. I'm not very good but already I felt much more comfortable playing this than Gears1 and 2 online. The gameplay speed is good and I feel like I can actually hurt people with the Lancer. I'm not just wasting bullets while they run up and shotgun me like in Gears 1 & 2. The game plays smooth and looks great btw.

You need to learn to aim if you had this problem in gears 1 & 2. The problem was not the lancer.

What's the "old" lancer like? The one sans chainsaw, I mean. It just seemed kind of a strange addition to the weapon roster. :s And how's the hammerburst now?

What's the "old" lancer like? The one sans chainsaw, I mean. It just seemed kind of a strange addition to the weapon roster. :s And how's the hammerburst now?

Hammer burst and lancer are medium to long range weapons.
While the Retro lancer is a short to medium range weapon.

The hammerburst even has down of sight mode.

oooh right, forgot about iron sights for hammerburst. wait.... Does this mean it's more like call of duty? :s Or is that the "zoom" function for the hammerburst besides the zoom-in over the shoulder with left trigger?

oooh right, forgot about iron sights for hammerburst. wait.... Does this mean it's more like call of duty? :s Or is that the "zoom" function for the hammerburst besides the zoom-in over the shoulder with left trigger?

over shoulder left trigger, zoom (click rt stick) for iron sights

very nice weapon

cool. :) I always did like the weapon especially after it got a weapon damage upgrade in Gears 2 MP (not that I played it much).

Game looks and plays great. The lighting is definitely improved, though it still falls short sometimes.

The sawed off almost ruins the demo for me though, it's insanely overpowered and whored out by too many people. Got to love those people who will use both the sawed off and gnasher. Forget earning kills by aiming and skill, just use nothing but shotguns and you can win just about any fight!.:rolleyes:

Also, does anyone have any idea why there is host migration when the game is supposed to be running on dedicated servers? There were a couple instances last night where a person left and host migration kicked in selecting a new host.

I use a Gansher and I pretty much have a 9/10 score against sawed off users, the thing has only 4 bullets, has the biggest reload time and has absolute shit range....you can never be even close to half as fast as you would were you to use a Gansher. Only time I get killed by that gun is if I run blindly to someone without noticing whether he/she has a sawed off equipped.

I use a Gansher and I pretty much have a 9/10 score against sawed off users, the thing has only 4 bullets, has the biggest reload time and has absolute shit range....you can never be even close to half as fast as you would were you to use a Gansher. Only time I get killed by that gun is if I run blindly to someone without noticing whether he/she has a sawed off equipped.

My issue is the spread, it's way too wide. Maybe I suck, but yesterday we faced a team where 4 of the 5 were using sawed offs and 2 of the 4 were also using the gnasher + sawed off shotguns.

We got creamed constantly, no matter what we tried. How easy it is to camp around a corner or wall bounce to get within range, I still think the sawed off is too overpowered.

My issue is the spread, it's way too wide. Maybe I suck, but yesterday we faced a team where 4 of the 5 were using sawed offs and 2 of the 4 were also using the gnasher + sawed off shotguns.

We got creamed constantly, no matter what we tried. How easy it is to camp around a corner or wall bounce to get within range, I still think the sawed off is too overpowered.

Retro lancer is like the perfect counter for the sawed off and it is easy to use from hip fire.

Back