Frame Rate Analysis Thread (Simple Rules Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LEGO Star Wars shots (360/PS3). Not sure if any of these will correlate with your PS2 shots...

720p

LEGO Indy should be up on Eurogamer tonight I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I downloaded the IJ 360 demo, and frankly I think it's much ado about nothing. Yes, there's some obvious tear during the cutscenes, but I could barely see any tearing whatsoever during gameplay.

A very solid 60fps IMO, so I wouldn't classify this particular title of falling well short of expectations. It's no a showcase title by any means, but it runs very, very smoothly.

Now (not that I'm a fan of this bizarre game) - Dragon Ball Z running at 30fps was one title I thought was seriously unoptimized considering the fact that it's basically 2 characters on a barren field...

Was playing Lego Indiana Jones on my brother's PS3. I noticed a lot of screen tearing when you get outside, after you meet Marianne(?) and the bar burns down.

Well I downloaded the IJ 360 demo, and frankly I think it's much ado about nothing. Yes, there's some obvious tear during the cutscenes, but I could barely see any tearing whatsoever during gameplay.

It's hugely obvious on the full game. The Eurogamer videos in the latest 360/PS3 comparison piece only show 544 of the full 720 lines of resolution but even there it's easy to see.

I've played a lot of SSD:HD and haven't noticed any yet.

I meant during the overlay, at which time SSHD pauses like many other single player games.
However, for example, Bad Company title(or menu) screen ignores PS button and continues to render some scene in the background (it may even be nicely sub 30fps, in other words perfect for frame counting). Games with replay functionality (and that don't pause) would especially be suitable of course.

betan said:
Now that 2.4 is out, anybody noticed performance degradation on any game due to XMB overlay?
Not sure if that gives any relevant info - I would be asking about performance of the GUI (Xbox dash is quite sluggish in-game), whether the game in background is affected is hardly relevant, other then for possible (and flawed) comparisons of which game is running closer to "the hw limit".

Now that 2.4 is out, anybody noticed performance degradation on any game due to XMB overlay?

Motorstorm has some frame rate problems.
I play this game on regular basis (one of my favourite) and after 2.40 upgrade, it started to slow down terribly

i'm guessing VF5 is. also off the top of my head, CoD4, FIFA, NBA Live 08, NBA 07/08, MLB The Show 07/08, NGS, and DMC4.
if PSN games count, theres probably a few more, like SSHD and T5DR.

Thanks chaps. I think framerates should be added to the resolutions page. That's reported resolutions (ie. either 30fps/60fps) rather than all the great work being done in here.

Ridge Racer 7?

i'm guessing VF5 is. also off the top of my head, CoD4, FIFA, NBA Live 08, NBA 07/08, MLB The Show 07/08, NGS, and DMC4.
if PSN games count, theres probably a few more, like SSHD and T5DR.

NBA Live 08 and all the other 08 EA sports games for PS3 (Madden, NHL, NCAA etc) were 30 frames (60fps on 360).... this year they are going to all be 60

2k sports games were 60 on both but with much less detail. EA was pushing more effects.

actually, Live and FIFA 08 were both 60fps... all the others were 30fps, which is why i didn't mention them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if that gives any relevant info - I would be asking about performance of the GUI (Xbox dash is quite sluggish in-game), whether the game in background is affected is hardly relevant, other then for possible (and flawed) comparisons of which game is running closer to "the hw limit".

It's relevant to me.
If the games chock under XMB (I haven't seen one), but still continues to run without lockup, it means games are more resilient under "multi-processing, context switches" etc. than I expected.
If we know what resources XMB uses and how, when the game chocks we can speculated what resources that game is bound by.
If the XMB chocks under some game or application, we can speculate about the other direction.
For example in game XMB chocks badly during initial F@H loading. I doubt it is bandwidth related, so I guess it is PPC or shared SPU issue (if that's still the case).
I can understand however, how it's irrelevant to you. ;)

It's relevant to me.
If the games chock under XMB (I haven't seen one), but still continues to run without lockup, it means games are more resilient under "multi-processing, context switches" etc. than I expected.
If we know what resources XMB uses and how, when the game chocks we can speculated what resources that game is bound by.
If the XMB chocks under some game or application, we can speculate about the other direction.
For example in game XMB chocks badly during initial F@H loading. I doubt it is bandwidth related, so I guess it is PPC or shared SPU issue (if that's still the case).

Hm...hasn't a lot been given back to developers since PS3 launch...enough to let Motorstorm etc run normally?

It's relevant to me.

I've heard in-game XMB isn't a requirement from Sony which makes it seem like there might be more to it than we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back