Forza Motorsports 2 60fps, 4xAA, HDR, MB

MechanizedDeath said:
Even if manufacturers allowed their cars to be flipped, it's an incredibly miniscule part of racing. Even in short track outlaw/midget races, where it's most common, it's still not that big a part of racing. For full-bodied cars, you can only flip them by hitting something really hard, or catching an edge on grass/gravel. For open-wheelers, you have to touch tires. Most race/modified cars have low CG.

It may be a small part of professional racing because professionals are more careful. But if we are talking about the sim aspect of car handling and reaction to user input, then flipping should be possible. A professional knows not to do stupid stuff, but us gamers... yeah. Part of a sim should be learning what works and does not. High degree turns at at high speeds is bad, just like running into a wall. I think that re-inforces caution and a penalty for not driving correctly. I know when playing Toca 3 (PC) you have to be less aggressive on your lines at times and be careful about running to rough on the edges, using your breaks, and definately car-to-car contact -- because if not, your car will suffer, and thus your placing in the racing stands. Especially when racing against Bots or People, this stuff is a big factor. If you just race against a track and never AI or Bots, then I guess it does not matter to a degree (only you will know if you are playing bumper cars and taking corners unrealistically). But when competing, if you are able to cut corners (no pun intended) you cannot typically do in real life, you should be penalized for such. At least that is what I want in my sims. But then again we don't all play sims for the same reasons, so ...

czekon said:
well there is damage control option in forza you can chose from cosmetic to affecting gameplay, and when you recieve a high level of damage it's not like game over, but winning is imposible.

ya, Forza has selectable damage levels, and they could easily pit in an ultra-sim mode that just ended the race in 95% of collisions, but I think the way they have it implemented with sim mode now is a great balance between realism and fun factor.

Like you say, in any really competitive race it's nearly impossible to win after a major collision of any kind. Even just the damage to your aerodynamics can be enough to make it very hard to keep up with the rest of the cars, however there is still that chance that you can pull it out if you drive your best, and that adds a great layer of gameplay.

Mintmaster said:
ihamoitc2005, you're making all these claims but have nothing to back it up. Look at AW0L's post, for example. Very concrete, very specific. You, on the other hand, sound like a PS marketing machine.

Or maybe you do not like what I say my friend. There is no need to make accusation comments like marketing machine. Also there is no need for too much emotions on this issue no? I make very specific comments on weight distribution effect for GT4 that is no good for Forza.

Also what AWOL says how GT4 has no different handling effect if one wheel is in dirt is not correct. Even GT3 had different handling effect if one wheel is on sand. I had yellow ruf 4wd and even wheel speed is different for wheel that is on dirt. You can see this if you park car with one wheel on sand and change camera angle. That is GT3. GT4 is much better physics.

Also, Forza turn speed for same track and same car is much faster than GT4 but lap time is always less fast. Interesting no? Also you can read Arstechnica comparison. They agree GT4 has much better physics and handling and Forza is more like arcade. This is not coincidences. This is because if you play both games same time you will also see this my friend.

Again, how well they copied the track says nothing about the driving simulation or physics. And how do you know what the "aerodynamic effect" is like in real life or whether GT4 is modelling it correctly? Real aerodynamics would allow some prototype-class cars to take off and flip around if they went over a bump in a bad way. Real aerodynamics would do more than just give some canned air resistance and drafting effects.

Realtime 60 fps aerodynamics calculation is not possible for PS2, PS3 and maybe even for PS4.

You say GT4 is about driving and not crashing. Not being able to crash or damage your car allows you take a more aggressive line, take more risks, handle opponents differently, lets the computer players hit you without worry, etc. The magic forces that Sony provides to prevent flipping also impacts the driving simulation. All these things affect the driving experience, whether you crash or not.

Good driving physics is what is most important for simulator, not good crash physics. Forza has average quality driving physics and low quality crash physics. GT4 has no crash physics but best driving physics. Real quality crash physics is silly for racing simulator because you will have to make too many restart for every race. But good driving physics is what is important for simulator because racing is about learning good driving and not so much crashing. You cannot learn if you must restart every time.

Racing simulator purpose is to teach best driving technique so it must be like piano teacher who says if you make mistake when you play you must not stop but always finish playing, do not restart. Forza is like if you make mistake piano teacher cuts off one finger and you must finish piece with 9 fingers. This is silly method for simulator but good for arcade game that is for fun only. GT4 you can keep playing with 10 fingers but because of small penalty you will remember what mistake you made and improve next time. I hope for GT5, if they have damage that we can turn damage off. It is silly idea for simulator which has purpose of teaching good driving. This is why Gran Turismo games always have long and difficult training.

GT4 is not the ultimate simulator you make it out to be.

Did I say this? Maybe when Forza 2 is out it will be best console simulator. We must wait to see. Xbox360 has too much power so I feel this is no problem but developer intention is what is important. If developer wants to have more easy feel like Forza then Forza 2 also will not be real simulator.

A simulator, to simulate real life, since when the hell did you not take damage from wrecks in real life?

ihamoitc2005 said:
Good driving physics is what is most important for simulator, not good crash physics.
This is exactly what I was thinking, and I think is the key to PD's decision for not including crash physics. Didn't PD say that they didn't implement a damage simulator into GT4 because they couldn't do it realistically/PS2 lacked the firepower for this?

To me, GT4 is about experiencing what I wouldn't otherwise have the chance to...and that is driving around (apparently realistically) some of the world's most famous racetracks - in the world's most exotic rides. I don't really care if it's not realistic that my car doesn't flip over, do the spin-a-roony and land in the third row, there's plenty of other games that can provide me with that kind of fun (albeit unrealistic). The GT series (as I understand it) has ALWAYS been about the drive - maybe with the PS3, they can start experimenting with realistic crash physics.

Anyways, the thread is waaay off track now (pun intended). Any new/real time media for Forza 2 yet?

Yea, I agree. The damage modelling vs. no damage modelling discussions are getting old, and not just in GT vs. Forza, but this can be applied to any racing game vs. any raciong game on any platform.
It's been commented by players as well as the devs, and depending on your POV there are roughly 5 reasons why, and 3 of them are suspectible to personal preference.

It's just got old, discussing about Forza 2 must be more interesting than Gran Turismo vs. Forza, right?

rabidrabbit said:
...discussing about Forza 2 must be more interesting than Gran Turismo vs. Forza, right?
I'm still waiting on some new media/videos for this game. The trailer looked great, but I'd like to see their progress...with some real time stuff.

MechanizedDeath said:
Even if manufacturers allowed their cars to be flipped, it's an incredibly miniscule part of racing. Even in short track outlaw/midget races, where it's most common, it's still not that big a part of racing. For full-bodied cars, you can only flip them by hitting something really hard, or catching an edge on grass/gravel. For open-wheelers, you have to touch tires. Most race/modified cars have low CG.

While flipping cars is rare, getting them loose from sudden loss of downforce is extremely common.

As for damage, why not have it completely realistic and make a crash just end a race. Papyrus had it right, even if it was extremely frustrating. You wreck, you pretty much go home. Bumping and banging fenders is one thing. Hitting part of the scenery should be an automatic golf cart to the pits. PEACE.

These are still games. And despite what some people think, GT4 is no where near a Sim any more than Forza is.

For the record, since we are discussing the accuracy of Nurburgring and GT4 vs. Forza...

Nurburgring all-time track record in it's current configuration is 6 minutes, 40 seconds. In almost 20 years no car of any kind has ever run a lap faster than that.

Now, how many people here have managed sub-6 minute laps in GT4? I know I sure have.

bRoNx said:
This is exactly what I was thinking, and I think is the key to PD's decision for not including crash physics. Didn't PD say that they didn't implement a damage simulator into GT4 because they couldn't do it realistically/PS2 lacked the firepower for this?

World Circuit Grand Prix had full crash and damage physics, including race-ending damage in 1994 on a 486 DX33 PC.

I don't buy the story that the PS2 isn't as powerful as a typical PC from 1993-1994, and can't do what PC racing sims have been doing since the mid-90's.

Powderkeg said:
World Circuit Grand Prix had full crash and damage physics, including race-ending damage in 1994 on a 486 DX33 PC.

I don't buy the story that the PS2 isn't as powerful as a typical PC from 1993-1994, and can't do what PC racing sims have been doing since the mid-90's.

As a matter of fact, all PD ever said is that they never included car damage simply because all the car manufacturers featured in the game wouldn't come to a common agreement. I have never heard (read) of PD saying they couldn't do it because of some "lack of power", which in itself is rather silly.

It just goes to show people will argue almost any point, no matter how ridiculous, when it comes to their favourite franchise on the preferred machine. Damage modelling is a good thing, GT4 missed the boat by not having it (yes, deal with it) and the PD team has stated they want it for GT5. Why are we still arguing about this?

If ANY of these anti-damage modelling arguments were true, the PD team would not be implementing them since they are the masters of sim racing right? And the point of a sim video game is not to teach you how to drive, it's a game meant to be enjoyed as a game, if you want to learn to drive the only way to do that is get behind the wheel in real life there's no substitute. This whole Piano teaching analogy is a joke, that's like saying guitar hero can teach you how to play guiter.

scooby_dooby said:
This whole Piano teaching analogy is a joke, that's like saying guitar hero can teach you how to play guiter.

It can! And I heard Lindsay Lohan learned how to sing with Sing Star! Hell, half of the brit pop "singers" probably learned like that!!

ihamoitc2005 said:
Also, Forza turn speed for same track and same car is much faster than GT4 but lap time is always less fast. Interesting no? Also you can read Arstechnica comparison. They agree GT4 has much better physics and handling and Forza is more like arcade. This is not coincidences. This is because if you play both games same time you will also see this my friend.

And IGN not

Racing in Forza isn't forgiving like in an arcade game. Taking each turn requires all the things you learned in GT -- slowing down before a turn, taking it with a measured sense of speed and control, while trying to minimize sliding (which slows you down), and then positioning your car in the perfect arc out of the turn for maximum acceleration. If you've played GT before, I believe you're going to love Forza. The physics and handling are better in many respects, different in others.

So it looks like it's point of view i disagree that GT4 has better phsx,handling then forza. I had always feeling that GT3/4 is more arcade in compare with forza. On one side we have accurate tests GT4 on Nurbur. on the other tests on Laguna seca and different times then in games. It dosen't mean anything, forza get very accurate test on Road atlanta. We can't pick up winner according to this tests.
Forza is about driving, and it combine great driving sim with great and fun damage modeling best on market so far. That's why FORZA is the BEST ;)

czekon said:
So it looks like it's point of view i disagree that GT4 has better phsx,handling then forza. I had always feeling that GT3/4 is more arcade in compare with forza. On one side we have accurate tests GT4 on Nurbur. on the other tests on Laguna seca and different times then in games. It dosen't mean anything, forza get very accurate test on Road atlanta. We can't pick up winner according to this tests.
Forza is about driving, and it combine great driving sim with great and fun damage modeling best on market so far. That's why FORZA is the BEST ;)

Oh stop it already. Let's just wait for Forza 2 and see what it does. You cannot now compare GT4 and Forza 1, because the latter doesn't have support for Force Feedback wheels. In fact, the whole Xbox doesn't, and the 360 is only just about to get it with Forza 2. Since Forza 2 is probably one of the first games to truly have Force Feedback, it is going to be interesting to see because I imagine they will have paid some special attention to it and it should be pretty good.

Only then can we compare Forza 2 with GT4. It won't be a wholly fair comparison, being on different gen consoles, but at least you can compare apples with apples. If you want to discuss the simulation aspect of a game, comparing how they play while using standard controllers really isn't very interesting.

If you do want to compare the old Forza and GT4, then first of all go do it in another thread, and second of all make an exhaustive list of all the driving dynamics present in both games and compare them, classify them, and rank them. But not here! Keep this to Forza 2!

Arwin said:
Oh stop it already. Let's just wait for Forza 2 and see what it does. You cannot now compare GT4 and Forza 1, because the latter doesn't have support for Force Feedback wheels. In fact, the whole Xbox doesn't, and the 360 is only just about to get it with Forza 2. Since Forza 2 is probably one of the first games to truly have Force Feedback, it is going to be interesting to see because I imagine they will have paid some special attention to it and it should be pretty good.

Only then can we compare Forza 2 with GT4.

Would we be comparing GT4 running on the PS2 or PS3, which lacks rumble and force feedback?

;)

Powderkeg said:
Would we be comparing GT4 running on the PS2 or PS3, which lacks rumble and force feedback?

;)

Rumble and Force Feedback aren't the same thing. Force Feedback wheels have traditionally been produced by Logitech and Logitech has shares in Immersion and licencing deals (they go way back). If they can support force feedback through a driver that is included on the game disc, then even if Force Feedback would requite a licence from Immersion, it wouldn't have to be purchased for every console. Note that you can see this is the way it worked on the Playstation 2, as the lawsuit everyone is talking about specifically lists all software that uses rumble. It's the combination of software and hardware support that Immersion has been able to sue. But if Logitech has licence agreements and provides the software support, then I think there is no problem.

So the only thing that I could see happening is that Forza 2 gets the Force Feedback wheel that supports rumble at the same time through a separate motor, while GT5 'only' gets the Force Feedback. That could still end up to Forza's credit though, as rumble seems to have improved on the 360.

Powderkeg said:

;)

"It would not have been possible to make this racing game without the awesome power of 360. It enables us to give the players feedback into the next gen gaming world which we could only dream of before."
-devs

;)

Arwin said:
Oh stop it already. Let's just wait for Forza 2 and see what it does. You cannot now compare GT4 and Forza 1, because the latter doesn't have support for Force Feedback wheels.

i didnt start this i just dont agree with ihamtoic that's all .I think i can say something ... can i???;)

Back