Forza Motorsports 2 60fps, 4xAA, HDR, MB

One critical aspect that GT4 really missed for a "sim" was using throttle modulation to rotate the cars with high torque around long corners.

In a high torque car once it's settled into the corner you can simply tighten or open up your line using the throttle and no steering input. This helps the car rotate and point without using more traction out of the front tires, which if they happen to be on the limit, would cause understeer and scrub off corner speed.

And as Powder pointed out, 2mins a lap faster just isn't due to tires.

RobertR1 said:
One critical aspect that GT4 really missed for a "sim" was using throttle modulation to rotate the cars with high torque around long corners.

In a high torque car once it's settled into the corner you can simply tighten or open up your line using the throttle and no steering input. This helps the car rotate and point without using more traction out of the front tires, which if they happen to be on the limit, would cause understeer and scrub off corner speed.

FORZA does what?

FORZA FORZA FORZA :devilish:

:D

RobertR1 said:

*excuse me, Vysez, but the above can't be just left to sit here unchallenged*

Robert, you do realise you just made about a million gt players who have a clue to collectively burst out in laughter, don't you?

first, such a "magically-correct-and-forza-exclusive" behaviour depends entirely on the tendencies of the car (or setup) to over/under steer, which, doh, also depends on torque, or, to be precise, torque, mass and traction.

you most certainly can get to steer a happy-tail car to open up or close more the line by throttle alone in gt. and if you can't get to do it yourself you can always watch a skilled player drive a ginetta g4 in the game - hell, i don't consider myself a top driver and i have tons of my own replays showing exactly this fundamental "missing sim feature", and not only with a g4.

Last edited by a moderator:
RobertR1 said:

I'd say the biggest difference is down to the driver in that on the road making a mistake can be futile, where as in the game, you simply restart and replay the track again. The amount of feedback when driving on the road is a magnitude higher - factors such as dirt on the road, little bumps, drivers emotions go into affect the drivers ability to get the best out of the car on the track - in GT4 or any other sim on the market, those factors are either non-existant, overly simplified or "best-case" scenario.

rabidrabbit said:
Well, I'm sure Forza 2 will be more realistic than GT4.
When both GT5 for PS3 and Forza 2 are available, then we can start a new thread dedicated for comparing the benefits of both.

Its intersesting that you make a comment like that since Polyphonys purpose is realism in every one of their GT games [and now bkes]. Im curiouis how you came to this [Forza 2 will be more realistic than GT4.] conclusion.

RavenFox said:
Its intersesting that you make a comment like that since Polyphonys purpose is realism in every one of their GT games [and now bkes]. Im curiouis how you came to this [Forza 2 will be more realistic than GT4.] conclusion.

Are you actually trying to suggest that Forza 2 on the 360 will not be as realistic as a 2+ year old PS2 game?

I would REALLY like to know what kind of logic you used to come up with that idea. Especially considering that the original Forza was arguably GT4's equal or even better in realism.

For the second time

Folks, some people want to discuss about Forza 2, and only about that, you know.

No, no driver view.

Has anyone listened to the Gamasutra podcast? Greenawalt said his budget for trees would make you throw up, so Forza'a gonna have some sweet trees!

Another thing he said was unique textures for ever piece of the pavement, when asked 'when are we gonna see some screens' he just laughed - no comment

info taken from a respected poster on GAF http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3623999&postcount=362 who got it from a recent magazine article

It just mentions there will be 18 environments, 60 tracks. Doesn't specify reverse tracks etc.

300 licensed cars from 50 manufacturers.

Yeah, 12 cars in a race.

Some quotes and bits and bobs..I'll just throw in whatever I think is interesting, I won't vouch for the newness as I doubt I'm as familiar with the game as some of you might be..

"I'm not going after GT4 with Forza 2, I don't care about GT4, what I care about is that moment in GT1 that changed my destiny. I want to ignite that passion in a new generation of gamers." (He spoke earlier about the effect GT1 had on him).

Everything is built from scratch - tracks take about 3 months to make. They're renting out tracks and go over them with GPS systems, covering various racing lines etc. Taking lots of footage, photos etc. for individual textures from each track.It's an expensive process, as he said they had to rent the Nurburgring for a week.

They're setting about 1600 values per car now versus 200 in the original.

Simulation mode will be more punishing. They've done this because they saw so many casuals going with the simulation mode, so they decided to make it more grueling..they hope to slowly help such people learn how to drive :p

Also talks about the links between the PGR3 and Forza teams. The executive producer on PGR2 is working on Forza. Greenawalt himself used to work at Bizarre on the first PGR. The teams shared tech - the photo and TV modes apparently are lifted wholly from PGR3.
wow good info :smile: (thanks Gofreak)

Thanks for the info. That's pretty cool. After having played PGR3 and used the TV mode, I'm essentially of the opinion that I should be able to pop in a game and watch any of my friends playing the same game.

I wish, anyhow.

RavenFox said:
I'd suggest you play some PC sims before you spout off rubbish about gran turismo.
It is NOT realistic compared to pc sims, it's totally a joke.
The only good they have is the licenced cars and tracks, but the actual physics are crap.
If forza mothersports is only as good as GT4 I'd be totally disappointed, as should any true race sim fan.

Tap In said:
info taken from a respected poster on GAF http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3623999&postcount=362 who got it from a recent magazine article

cool, sounds ambitious. if they actually deliver it may just as well turn out to be the first title of any interest for me on the 360, if they improve enough on the original, that is. btw, which magazine is that, i'd like to actually read the whole interview.

ps: radeonic2, you're in the wrong forum, pal, you may want to think twice in the future before posting such rubbish.

Powderkeg said:
Are you actually trying to suggest that Forza 2 on the 360 will not be as realistic as a 2+ year old PS2 game?

I would REALLY like to know what kind of logic you used to come up with that idea. Especially considering that the original Forza was arguably GT4's equal or even better in realism.
Oops, owned myself. Didnt pay attention to the GT4 comparison. Thought he meant GT5. Ill slap myself on this one. sorry.

radeonic2 said:
I'd suggest you play some PC sims before you spout off rubbish about gran turismo.
It is NOT realistic compared to pc sims, it's totally a joke.
The only good they have is the licenced cars and tracks, but the actual physics are crap.
If forza mothersports is only as good as GT4 I'd be totally disappointed, as should any true race sim fan.
Uhh yeah you can bring it down a few notches. Really no need to raise your blood pressure about a game.

Gps??

They're using gps for the tracks? Why? Gps is horribly innacurate even in the latest highend units. Low level aerial photography with laser based topography along with ground photos would be a much more accurate and efficient solution.

Oh well. It won't make much of a difference in the end result and the graphic engine this go round sounds truly impressive.

darkblu said:
*excuse me, Vysez, but the above can't be just left to sit here unchallenged*

Robert, you do realise you just made about a million gt players who have a clue to collectively burst out in laughter, don't you?

first, such a "magically-correct-and-forza-exclusive" behaviour depends entirely on the tendencies of the car (or setup) to over/under steer, which, doh, also depends on torque, or, to be precise, torque, mass and traction.

you most certainly can get to steer a happy-tail car to open up or close more the line by throttle alone in gt. and if you can't get to do it yourself you can always watch a skilled player drive a ginetta g4 in the game - hell, i don't consider myself a top driver and i have tons of my own replays showing exactly this fundamental "missing sim feature", and not only with a g4.

This isn't about what Forza has, it's about one of the many reasons that GT4 is a racing "sim" to people who've not driven high HP cars around a track and base their knowledge of "driving" form GT4.

Do I get entertained by playing GT4, yeah because I driving games but do I go apply any of it to aggressive driving in real life? No.

TheChefO said:
Gps is horribly innacurate even in the latest highend units

Innacurate? How? There would be a lot of civil and aerospace engineers surpised that centimetre accuracy was horrible.

laser based topology can be more accurate but far more labour intensive.

MrFloopy said:
Innacurate? How? There would be a lot of civil and aerospace engineers surpised that centimetre accuracy was horrible.

laser based topology can be more accurate but far more labour intensive.

Data restrictions can be placed to gut the topo and gain efficiency. WRT gps - Only when tied with other ground based measures is gps useful but its accuracy/consistancy alone is nowhere near the centemeter level (I work for an engineering company) but for this application (track modeling) it is quite pointless as it's advantages aren't realized in this instance. The laser based topography in combination with aerial photography would be more beneficial for their purposes.

Back