Forza Motorsports 2 60fps, 4xAA, HDR, MB

mckmas8808 said:
I don't either. That's why me and plenty of other GT fans were/are still confused about the move. But that video is indeed real-time footage.

are you 100% sure, everything sony showed last year was claimed realtime until proved otherwise and I don't see why they would waste time on GT:HD if they have an engine and art assests complete to the point that they can make such a video

mckmas8808 said:
I wouldn't call mid 2005 "just starting". Just starting aren't the right words.

Isn't that what they said at the E3 conference? something along the lines of "this is very very early, we've only just begun workin on GT5 as our team has just finished up on Tourist Trophy".

I was under the assumption that they were working on it form at least mid 2005, which is why I was so surprised.

pegisys said:
are you 100% sure, everything sony showed last year was claimed realtime until proved otherwise and I don't see why they would waste time on GT:HD if they have an engine and art assests complete to the point that they can make such a video

Yet everything they showed last year wasn't CGI either.;) Being a normal poster like yourself I'm sure you knew that though. If I find the link where they say it's real-time I will post it.

scooby_dooby said:
Isn't that what they said at the E3 conference? something along the lines of "this is very very early, we've only just begun workin on GT5 as our team has just finished up on Tourist Trophy".

I was under the assumption that they were working on it form at least mid 2005, which is why I was so surprised.

I think Phil Harrison said that, not anyone from Polyphony. We've (B3D) have got Yahmauchi (whatever his name is) own quotes to back it up.

mckmas8808 said:
I think Phil Harrison said that, not anyone from Polyphony. We've (B3D) have got Yahmauchi (whatever his name is) own quotes to back it up.

I'm pretty sure it was the translator for the PD developer that said it. Not positive though.

pegisys said:

Strange indeed. If they truly had a GT5 engine up and running why didn't they show it?

kyetech said:
Denial is a sad and ugly thing... :(

But who's in denial?
fragend013.gif

Whoever created that trailer, for Forza 2, should get a hefty bonus. I haven't enjoyed, or purchased, a racing game in years. I will be buying this, and possibly a good FF wheel, on release day. I want that game, period.

Silenti said:
Whoever created that trailer, for Forza 2, should get a hefty bonus. I haven't enjoyed, or purchased, a racing game in years. I will be buying this, and possibly a good FF wheel, on release day. I want that game, period.

I'm buying killzone for PS3..

Hey

why don't you guys go get your own GT thread?

this is the FORZA Mototrsports thread. :devilish:

:smile:

new FORZA update:
http://forzamotorsport.net/devcorner/pitpass/pitpass02.htm

Q: We’ve announced that FM2 will be 60fps at 720p. Can you talk a bit about some of the other techniques we’ll be employing to make FM2 look next-gen?

JW:
"We’re really taking full advantage of the immense graphics horsepower of the Xbox 360 to do some incredible things visually. Of course we’re 60fps at 720p, as you mention, but we’re also adding effects and features such as 4X anti-aliasing (no jaggies!), motion blur, high dynamic range lighting, global illumination and per-pixel car reflections updated at full frame rate. I could go on and on. Really a ton of stuff. Too much to list here."

Q: Actually, we should probably stop here or else we'll get caught by the fuzz. So are all the cars and tracks getting a boost in polygon counts in the models?

JW:
"For sure. Nothing is making it into FM2 without significant work to make it truly "next-gen." This includes not only considerably more polygons but also a lot more texture resolution. This meant that we had to go back and recreate a lot of our textures from scratch, no simple “up-scaling” here. I can’t stand it when games combine new content that is of a noticeably higher visual quality and detail with older content that shipped in the last version."

Q: With our mention in the press release about using motion blur, the vocal minority are concerned that too much motion blur would actually be distracting for the Forza Motorsport experience. Can you talk about how motion blur would work in FM2?

JW:
"Yes, this is something I care deeply about. I actually share the same concern. It can definitely have a negative impact on gameplay and the visuals if overdone. Far too often we see games over doing motion blur. It’s a very computationally expensive effect so maybe they do it to make sure people know it’s there.
"Now of course we have incredible power at our disposal and we’re committed to having realistic motion blur in Forza Motorsport 2. That said it has to be done to a level that supports both gameplay and the visual immersion of the game.
It’s one of those kinds of effects that, when done right, can sometimes be overlooked by players but if you were to turn it off suddenly you would really notice the difference. We try to combine all of these complex visual effects, including motion blur, together in a very realistic and immersive way. The player may not understand or even be aware of everything we’re doing visually, no single effect may stand out above the others, they just know it looks right."

also Microsoft Announces Sponsorship of American Le Mans Series Race Team

http://forzamotorsport.net/052406-02.htm
Those of you who follow the American LeMans Series on Speed Network or CBS may already have noticed the Forza Motorsport 2 vinyl on the hood of a red hot Ferrari 430GT on the track at the Houston Lone Star Grand Prix or in Mid-Ohio this past weekend. Official channels being what they are, we can now finally announce that Microsoft and Turn 10 have officially sponsored Risi Competizione, a participating race team currently running the 2006 ALMS season. Right, so what does sponsorship mean other than the fact that Turn 10 paid a premium to pimp its rather attractive logo on the hood of a rather attractive car?
risi_2_tn.jpg

3roxor said:
I'm buying killzone for PS3..

1. There is mention here it was in-game assets. If they are referring to the car models, you would think with a Fall release they could have at least 8-10 models done (out of a supposed 300.) Unless I am missing something about these developers having a reputation similar to those who created Killzone. The original game which I understand was horrible while Forza was rated rather highly. 93% on gamerankings.com isn't anything to sneeze at.

2. The point of any trailer is to raise interest in the game, or if you are a real cynic, to show up another game or platform. Should Forza 2 bear no resemblance to this trailer and my interest wanes as a result, then no, i wouldn't be getting it. I watched the GT trailers I can find and they evoked no interest. It isn't just a matter of showing in game assets v. cgi, direction can make all the difference here. Those who created the Forza 2 trailer succeeded, those who created the GT trailers failed (this is obviously from my perspective, others may feel differently.) I clearly stated I haven't purchased and enjoyed a racing game in years, this got my attention and it wasn't, at least entirely, based on "graphics whore" mentality. I Bought the music shortly after hearing it in the trailer - how's that for a reaction? Point being, this trailer got my attention and I want it. If that developer team delivers, they have a new customer.

3. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but are not racing games, on pavement at least, much easier to bring closer to reality than other games? No facial animations or models. Not too many concerns about the background (at 120mph the background isn't anywhere near as critical to creating the proper experience.) etc ,etc.

Silenti said:
2. The point of any trailer is to raise interest in the game, or if you are a real cynic, to show up another game or platform. Should Forza 2 bear no resemblance to this trailer and my interest wanes as a result, then no, i wouldn't be getting it. I watched the GT trailers I can find and they evoked no interest. It isn't just a matter of showing in game assets v. cgi, direction can make all the difference here. Those who created the Forza 2 trailer succeeded, those who created the GT trailers failed (this is obviously from my perspective, others may feel differently.) I clearly stated I haven't purchased and enjoyed a racing game in years, this got my attention and it wasn't, at least entirely, based on "graphics whore" mentality. I Bought the music shortly after hearing it in the trailer - how's that for a reaction? Point being, this trailer got my attention and I want it. If that developer team delivers, they have a new customer.
Actually, I think Vision GT's trailer at last years' E3 was pretty amazing considering it was basically just GT4 with lots of cars and HDR. The music was strangely awesome.

predicate said:
Actually, I think Vision GT's trailer at last years' E3 was pretty amazing considering it was basically just GT4 with lots of cars and HDR. The music was strangely awesome.

The only one I saw I found underwhelming, but it was also silent. Also looked like video camera of a television, not a capture video.

GI, heh?

Tap In said:
new FORZA update:
http://forzamotorsport.net/devcorner/pitpass/pitpass02.htm

Q: Can you talk a bit about some of the other techniques we’ll be employing to make FM2 look next-gen?

JW: " we’re also adding effects and features such as... global illumination... I could go on and on. Really a ton of stuff. Too much to list here."
I guess he meant PRT, since the precomputed data can be generated with a GI renderer, but still naming something as outstanding as GI in the middle of a checklist came off a bit strange, though.

John Wendl is an artist, by the way, so I think the guys just can't tell the (very large) technical differences between PRT lighting and GI lighting.

Back